• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long putt or Ace?

An ace is when you make a throw off the tee and you put a 1 on the score card for that hole.

Anything else is a really great practice throw....which is nice, but not an ace.

I played golf....the kind with sticks and balls for 20 plus years and witnessed 2 aces. A golfer would never ever card a 1 for a ball going in the hole on a second attempt from the tee. Its a good shot and feels great, but an ace is a score of 1 that counts only on the first attempt.

A 1 on the card with no rule twisting.

A 1 on the card with no rule twisting.

Exactly. An ace is your first throw from the tee landing in the basket. (regardless of distance) If you're throwing 2, 3 or 20 discs from your bag on one hole then its not your first throw from the tee is it?

An ace should be counted as completing a hole in one shot. If you are practicing a hole and make it in one throw I would count that as an ace but only if your intent was to play the hole out regardless of the drive. Otherwise you are just doing some drive practice that happens to be from a tee pad towards a target. If it happened to go in the basket that is great but really no different than hitting the imagined target while doing drive practice.

In regards to short aces; what we are really talking about is birdies verses eagles. Just about anything under 100 feet should be a two putt for an average player. As far as I am concerned this makes it a par 2 so an ace would be a birdie. This also lends legitimacy to tim's comment about some deuces being more impressive than some aces. 640-675 foot holes are likely par 4 and so a deuce would be an eagle. That deuce is therefore a better score from the perspective of the course par.

an ace is an ace if its your first throw from the pad? my aces have ranged from 165' to 332'...theres a course at green lakes near syracuse, NY where there a few holes that can be considered putts..one hole is a mere 90'...im sure some of the carolina boys have simliar holes(durham for one?)

Hole 11, at Richlands-Steed park, http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1741&mode=hi , 87 feet long. I laugh every time I play it (only twice unfortunately).

I have been playing for 3 months now. I threw my first ace on hole 15 at Richland-Steed park after a month and a half of playing. The hole is only 138' but I was still pretty excited and proud of my accomplishment. A month later at Northeast Creek park, I forget which hole, but it was 312', I hit the basket in mid flight and was pretty mad it didn't go in. Only 6 or so more inches and it would have been ace number 2!

Chris, did you dad tell you about my pracitce "ace" on 18 at the Alex Clark? It was back in April before a mini. I was just using the fairway to warm up my arm and my first shot takes some stupid line through a Y in the tree to the right of the teebox and goes in the basket. I grab another Buzzz and just tried to repeat the throw out of curiosity, took the same line and hit the pan. James is almost a good luck charm for me. I've got another good story of something I did with him hanging out with me recently, must have thrown a disc 500'.

I'm glad he's a good luck charm for you. I play worse when I play with him. I do seem to do better in tournies when he comes and caddies for me though.
I must have missed you at Harmony Hill. I looked around for you, but never saw you. I know you played cuz I saw your results. That wind was crazy!
Speaking of ace runs. I nearly hit one in the tournie yesterday on hole 20. It was marked as 403 feet and had that quartering tailwind. My drive hit just under the basket and bounced up into the pan, dropping right back down under the basket. 3 feet higher and I'd have been 450 bucks richer.
I'd say aces in tournies are the most special of all...and I've yet to grab one of those. I had 3 close runs in the 2nd round yesterday.

An ace should be counted as completing a hole in one shot. If you are practicing a hole and make it in one throw I would count that as an ace but only if your intent was to play the hole out regardless of the drive. Otherwise you are just doing some drive practice that happens to be from a tee pad towards a target. If it happened to go in the basket that is great but really no different than hitting the imagined target while doing drive practice.

In regards to short aces; what we are really talking about is birdies verses eagles. Just about anything under 100 feet should be a two putt for an average player. As far as I am concerned this makes it a par 2 so an ace would be a birdie. This also lends legitimacy to tim's comment about some deuces being more impressive than some aces. 640-675 foot holes are likely par 4 and so a deuce would be an eagle. That deuce is therefore a better score from the perspective of the course par.

Agreed...and this is exactly the reason why we need more courses with "pro par" 4s and 5s...or more. That would give the term "Eagle" more weight in disc golf like it has in ball golf.

I'd say if the hole is too short that it wouldnt ever be used in a tournament, then its more like you made a nice approach which happened to be from a t-pad.

Latest posts