• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Longest Courses in the Country

Amadeus

Banned
Maybe we could make a top ten list of the longest courses in the country. I know Winthrop Gold and Fly Boy are up there...I'm not too familiar with courses outside NC, so help me out :) It would be nice if you could sort them on this site by length.

Having just played Flyboy I can say yeah... it's long.

Edgebrook in Chicago is on a ball golf course, right around 13000 feet for 18 holes (IIRC, Flyboy is 14000 for 27).

yeah one thing to keep in mind is that you'll want to find courses with the longest length per hole.

It's extinct now, but Hobson Grove Riverview was 8512 for 9 holes, averaging 946' per hole.

Edgebrook in Chicago is on a ball golf course, right around 13000 feet for 18 holes (IIRC, Flyboy is 14000 for 27).

River Chase in Union, SC is about the same. (Also on a ball golf course).

Also in the extinct category was Still Waters Farm, about 10,000' for 18 holes as I recall.

This thread makes my shoulder ache.

Longest I've played:
Carousel Park DE - 9840' from longs
Hawk Hallow VA - 8089' but it seems longer with all the terrain.

Makes we wonder why the obsession with making DG courses longer and longer? Just to intimidate and drive off beginners?

River Chase in Union, SC is about the same. (Also on a ball golf course).

Also in the extinct category was Still Waters Farm, about 10,000' for 18 holes as I recall.

This thread makes my shoulder ache.

Noticing a trend here. Seems like being incredibly long can be a negative for some courses.

Noticing a trend here. Seems like being incredibly long can be a negative for some courses.

I highly dislike "long for the sake of being long" If it's long and I'm throwing a Buzzz off every tee, I'm probably thoroughly enjoying myself. If it's long and I'm throwing a Nuke off every tee, I'd rather be beating my head against the nearest tree... if only I could find a tree.

The longest I've played was the Monster @ Fighting Creek in Va. Played it twice, hated it both times. Just long for the sake of being long. No very creative signature holes.

Insufficient evidence. Still Waters Farm is extinct due to issues with the private property owner. It was a great course---in my top-5 alltime.

Private courses often have longevity issues, regardless of their quality, sometimes despite it.

The Jackson course at IDGC is about 9,000' (I'm too lazy to check), with hills and 170,000 trees. Perhaps not the longest, but if you may the list long enough it'll be there.

I highly dislike "long for the sake of being long" If it's long and I'm throwing a Buzzz off every tee, I'm probably thoroughly enjoying myself. If it's long and I'm throwing a Nuke off every tee, I'd rather be beating my head against the nearest tree... if only I could find a tree.

Lumberjack Meadows DGC has a few holes that fit your description. Overall, the course covers 2.2 miles of terrain and some of it is just open hayfields.

Insufficient evidence. Still Waters Farm is extinct due to issues with the private property owner. It was a great course---in my top-5 alltime.

Private courses often have longevity issues, regardless of their quality, sometimes despite it.

The Jackson course at IDGC is about 9,000' (I'm too lazy to check), with hills and 170,000 trees. Perhaps not the longest, but if you may the list long enough it'll be there.

True, hence the vague language:)

Latest posts