• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Longest running ice bowl

iloqutiss1

Par Member
Which active annual ice bowl tourney is the granddaddy of them all? The Big Freeze by the Great Lakes Disc Golf Club will be holding the 24th annual on January 22nd and 23rd @ Dretzka. Anyone got an older one? Minnesota? Michigan? Ohio? Oregon? Who's got it?

The Ice Bowl started in Columbia, MO at Albert Oakland Park. They will make it 25 years this year. Nobody else goes back that far.

Last edited:
I do believe the phrase no wimps/no whiners came out of dredzka.

I don't think the great lakes name had anything to do with the early ones there.

From the World Wide Web:
ICE BOWL HISTORY said:
The first disc golf Ice Bowl was held in January of 1987 at Albert-Oakland Park in Columbia, Missouri. It was an attempt by Rick Rothstein, the Ice Bowl Instigator and current coordinator, to get some disc golfing activity going in the dead of winter. News releases were issued, and on the Saturday night before the Ice Bowl, it snowed five inches. The results were good as both 34 people and the media showed up. There was a picture in the sports section of the Monday edition of the Columbia Daily Tribune - disc golf in Columbia got some great publicity.

Since then, the Ice Bowl has continued to evolve, growing to an Ice Bowl weekend the next year, which led to an Ice Bowl Corridor of six weekends in 2001 to today's Ice Bowl Corridor of eight weekends in January and February. In 1996, charity was added as an important component of Ice Bowl.

So how cold has it gotten in some of the Ice Bowls you guys have played in? I've played at temps in the 30's. I know that's lightweight but my hands were so cold that I couldn't putt worth a cr*p.

Last edited:
I've been at one,10 years ago, it was around Zero. The wind off the water made it 25 degrees BELOW! I was late and a wimp,didn't play. You may be able to find out if it's been colder at Icebowlhq.com

Where is this ice bowl held? By the great lakes club. And if it is in mn can people from outside the club sign up?

St. Cloud has raised the most money for Ice Bowls several years running now. It's this weekend and open to anyone. The Ice Bowl at St. Paul Winter Carnival is weekend of Jan 29-30 hosted by GGGT.

While Rothstein named the Ice Bowl, it's probably unclear when the first ever winter event was held in snow. It wouldn't be surprising that Minnesota may have had the first winter event considering the Minnesota Frisbee Association is the oldest statewide club. The MFA started almost 15 years before I started in the sport so I'd have to check with the old guardians.

The Ice Bowl started in Columbia, MO at Albert Oakland Park. They will make it 25 years this year. Nobody else goes back that far.

This is the ONLY correct answer.

If you have doubts, contact Rick Rothstein or Alex Dadant, both founding members of the Columbia Disc Golf Club and organizers/competitors in the first ice bowl.

Where is this ice bowl held? By the great lakes club. And if it is in mn can people from outside the club sign up?

The Great Lakes Disk Golf Club is located in SE Wisconsin and usually hold The Big Freeze at Dretzka park (winter course) in Milwaukee. It's non-sanctioned and anyone can play but it always fills up before the event. Saturday is pro day and as of yesterday still had openings. Sunday is ams and is already filled up.

Oh boy. Interesting.. anyone else? Any comment Three Putt?

It's not an Ice Bowl? OP asked about Ice Bowl tournaments. Columbia has the longest running Ice Bowl. Other places may have longer running winter tournaments, but the home of the Ice Bowl won't change.

While Rothstein named the Ice Bowl, it's probably unclear when the first ever winter event was held in snow.

Well, it has been documented that the first Ice Bowl was played in snow :) can't comment on other locales.

Last edited:
I played in an Ice Bowl today in Grand rapids, MI, the disc and mini I got both say "25 Years of Ice Bowl" on them. Are they all connected in some way and this is a generic stamp? I don't know anything, it's my first ice bowl and tourney ever.

Disc Golf World coordinates the Ice Bowl and markets Ice Bowl merchandise. DGW is Rothstein's company, so the "25 years of ice Bowl" refers back to that first Ice Bowl event in Columbia. So to answer the question, yes it's a generic stamp and all the events are loosely connected.

I really don't have a dog in the hunt for longest Ice Bowl. I moved to Columbia in 1988, so I missed the first one. Disc Golf had been around for quite some time by 1987, so it would be quite naive to think the first Ice Bowl was the first winter event played in the snow. I didn't think that was the question, though.

Ice Bowl® is a registered trademark. You cannot run an Ice Bowl without permission from the folks at Ice Bowl HQ, therefore any tournament merchandise bearing its name likely refers to the entire history of the event nationally, not necessarily how long your local Ice Bowl has been running.

Granted over the years, the term has kind of gotten like 'Kleenex' or 'Q-tip', a catch all term referring any winter tournament where money and food is collected for local food banks.

The past few years, our statewide organization has been running such events, but we refer to them as "Food Drive" events, since they are not affiliated with the Ice Bowl® program, and we cannot use their trademark, even though we are out to accomplish the very same purpose.

Played in my Ice Bowl® yesterday in Moberly Mo 6" of snow and about 30 degrees they raised a nice amount of money and food for the local food pantry.

We all had a great time!!!!!

Thanks Mike and Bill and all the people from the Magic City Flyers

I played in an Ice Bowl today in Grand rapids, MI, the disc and mini I got both say "25 Years of Ice Bowl" on them. Are they all connected in some way and this is a generic stamp? I don't know anything, it's my first ice bowl and tourney ever.

Yep, generic stamp :)

Columbia is getting custom stamped stuff for this year's Ice Bowl.