• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking at Disc Golf Backpacks in 2023

thejake78

Birdie Member
I am thinking about getting a new DG bag. Likely a backpack (have been using a DD Commander for a few years; definitely not a bad bag itself); I don't use a cart; I don't need 40+ discs or anything like that. Living in Texas, a way to carry a nalgene bottle or two is important. I have been looking around at a few different options...Grip, Upper Park, the disc manufacturers.

I've got a few candidates I am looking at with an idea of a budget (around 200 or less)....but I wanted to see what others are carrying these days, or what bag is highest on their wishlist. Maybe there's a bag I haven't considered or considered enough or even heard of.

Maybe a few of you out there are in the market too.

Let me hear some ideas, and why you like a particular backpack.

Thanks!

I have the Fossa Skinny 2.3 and really like how easy it is to get discs out of the bag. I also like how the top three disc pockets (along the back) have an opening on each side. I can fit my retriever down one side and my GoPro stick down the other side - it doesn't require the end to stick in a bottle holder. I also like that the water bottle holder can hold a 40 oz bottle....not many bags can do that.

I don't like how few pockets there are and how small they are. I also don't like that there's only one bottle holder. However, I don't fill the bottom compartment with discs, so I can carry an extra bottle there.

I've actually looked at the Dynamic Discs Commander as a replacement since the main compartment is so wide and open to make it easy to get discs in and out (just like the Fossa)....and, unlike the Fossa, it has lots of pockets and two water bottle holders.

If you have interest in a "tournament" style, the Revolution Carolina Team bag is built like a tank, and reduced to $140 at GGGT. I paid closer to $200 for mine a few years ago.

In the $200 backpack range, I'd put anything up against the Upper Park Rebel. Unbeatable - if you like the "shelf" look. I have an older one that's held up great, and now lives in my Zuca cart.

I had an early version of the Fossa Skinny that was pretty good. They've improved the design and materials and I think it's priced right, at $140.
I currently use a Rufus. Doesn't fit your price range, but damn it's so good for a 16-20 disc carry.

I have a red Prodigy B2-V3 still unopened in it's bag that I'd sell somebody for $50 plus shipping from NJ.

Yeah, I kinda like disc golf bags....

I have the Fossa Skinny 2.3 and really like how easy it is to get discs out of the bag. I also like how the top three disc pockets (along the back) have an opening on each side. I can fit my retriever down one side and my GoPro stick down the other side - it doesn't require the end to stick in a bottle holder. I also like that the water bottle holder can hold a 40 oz bottle....not many bags can do that.

I don't like how few pockets there are and how small they are. I also don't like that there's only one bottle holder. However, I don't fill the bottom compartment with discs, so I can carry an extra bottle there.

I've actually looked at the Dynamic Discs Commander as a replacement since the main compartment is so wide and open to make it easy to get discs in and out (just like the Fossa)....and, unlike the Fossa, it has lots of pockets and two water bottle holders.
What Bill's fridge must look like:
image-asset.jpeg

I currently have a Grip AX5. Way too much bag in hindsight, but the build quality is excellent and the drink holders can handle a 40 oz. Nalgene. If you are looking at Grip I might suggest the CX series as it will hold a ton of water and a lot of non-disc storage for essentials.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Admittedly I hadn't really looked at the Fossa Skinny....I actually really like that design except for the relative lack of storage/drink holders. I do think for a lot of people that could be a really good choice, at a good price.

The Rufus seems like a pretty great bag, but yeah, a little more than what I want to spend.

I've also looked at Squatch, and their bags seem pretty nice as well.

Definitely have the Grip BX3 and AX5 (agree, AX5 may be more than I need as well) and the UP Rebel as strong contenders right now. Both seem to be highly regarded. Really a lot of good options out there these days it seems.

If you like the Fossa Skinny design, make sure to look at the Squatch Ezra. I read good things about Squatch although I don't have personal experience with their products, like I do with Upper Park and Fossa

Upperpark Shift is hands down the best bag I've ever had. My Grip BX3 is collecting dust since the Shift is just far more comfortable, lighter and all in all superior IMO. I can fit a jacket/shirt in the main compartment if needed. Rarely need anything else to carry with me aside from discs so for me its been perfect. Also down scales well for glow rounds for example since carrying 1-3 discs in it works just as well as carrying up to 18 discs does.

I've had a Dynamic Disc Commander bag for 2 1/2 years and still looks good. No fraying, unthreading, or tears. Can hold 27 discs comfortably, and if I need too, at least two more. The shoulder straps fit snug whether over one shoulder or both, comfortable to carry. Haven't had a disc drop from the bag, like a few times with prior bags.

Latest posts