• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for a new control driver

For a controlled drive, I use a Pro-D Cyclone. I've also heard great things about the XL.

If you're going to buy 2-3 discs every paycheck anyway, you might as well check out the Stalker.

I have recently tried out the apache and am loving it. I can hit about 250 with it very accurately with a slight fade at the end. Also, i recently found a ching velocity that files even straighter for me.

Well this morning I drove to my local disc store to see what they had in stock and ended up leaving with a 12x KC Pro Roc and an Elite X Cyclone. I threw 'em around for a bit in the field and I am really liking both, but the Cyclone for sure is making me aware of the flaws in my form.

STALKER....The most controllable driver I have ever thrown. It does whatever I want it to do and more. Can throw a hard anny, a slight anny and have it come back, flat, or a hyzer and it is always accurate. Very controllable.

Not sure what plastic my JLS was, and can't look cause I gave it to my nephew, but it seemed like pro plastic. Are you saying you don't have a better disc to hit gaps 250' away? If not, I'd try a Stalker, Teebird, or a heavy Buzzz, depending on how much further past the gap you need to go. With the JLS, I just couldn't throw it full power with any confidence what-so-ever. So then I had to throw it like 75% and if I got it just right it would go straight, but throwing 75% accurately is not as easy as 95-100% accurately. To each his own, and it seems we very well may have had different runs of the disc.

I had a Star TeeBird that was money until I lost it at Renny, I forgot how far i could throw the thing and I overshot the basket by like 50 feet and disappeared into some nasty thorns. I throw mids now for a control driver, a Nebula, Buzzz, and a Qms, especially if the hole is not much longer than 325' and not uphill. I don't throw my JLS much but it is pretty consistent and it feels like I could throw it full power and it will stay straight forever. I can't say the same for my Valk, Wraith, or even Xcal for some reason.

Well I practiced for about 2 hours today out in a field and I'm glad with my purchases. That Cyclone is just dead straight up to about 275' for me and I can consistently throw my Roc over 200' from a standstill. I just have to say that Dan Beato's videos on Youtube are freaking incredible. In less than a weak I've gone from throwing Destroyers and and Wraiths 300 feet to throwing my Eagle, Teebird, and OLF farther than I ever did with the high speed stuff.

This is EASY. The Discmania PD. Its speed 9 and flies like a Teebird. Straight with fade and plenty of glide. Its a Firebird wing with a new top.

I primarily use my star Teebird as a control driver. I just picked up an XL and that thing has been laser straight for me but I tend to hyzer flip it rather than flat or annie like I do my Teebird. I've been a Cyclone fan for a long time now. The one I have left is beaten and battered and is still my fav. if I need to throw a nice big knife hyzer.