• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Looking for a similar disc to a Discmania PD

SuperWookie

Birdie Member
Just looking for suggestions for a good disc from either Lat 64, Axiom, MVP or Dynamic Discs that mimics almost everything about a Discmania beat in S-Line PD.

Something with a very similar rim size, outer rim shape/mold, distance of a PD (not really a FW, not really a driver). A nice flatter or flat top, easy to FH with, and has that great super reliable PD flight that isn't as harsh as the numbers suggest. The PD says 10/4/0/3, but in my experience it flew more like a 10/5/0/2-2.5 if you throw it well. Also has a pretty good rim shape for throwing FH's. Almost as nice as the best FH disc ever, the Color Glow C-Line Lion FD2. Nothing beats that disc for FH feel!

I had 2 S-Line PD Lone Howls, but sold them for a pretty penny as they are SO in demand. But now I'm looking for something to fill that void. Any suggestions and why are welcome. Thanks

You could look at the Fortress and Longbowman, they are both in the vicinity. Some DD guys seem to be throwing the Getaway in that slot but I haven't thrown one to speak to it's performance.

Closest thing I've thrown to one recently is the Lone Star Mad Cat. It feels like a G-PD and flies line an S-PD.

Getaway or Fortress.

Fortress is probably a tad more stable than what you want out of the box, but rim feel is great both backhand and forehand. Getaway is going to be closer to that mellow tweener flight, but the mold mostly comes out domey so may not be the disc shape you are looking for.

My Getaway will turn. You probably will like a Boatman, but won't find one in stock. A Fuzion Felon would get there pretty quick.

Lat64 Pioneer comes to mind for your brand preferences...

MVP Wrath, maybe?

Others: SOLF, Vengeance, Banzai, Raptor

I hear that the retooled RPM Kiwi is similar (potentially more OS? Don't know)

I also just sold my PDs, but not for the markup value. I just prefer using an older Draco/Firebird for the same shots. Whenever I threw a Draco and a PD back-to-back, they always ended up around 10 feet apart.

1.9 cm rims (same wing, really) for PD, Firebird clones, and SOLF...

There's also always the Thunderbird option.

I don't see much of anything similar between any FD2 tooling and a PD, though. It sounds like you want a straighter disc than a PD, hence the Thunderbird suggestion.

If you're Trilogy sponsored, listen to what others suggested. I don't get the brand preference otherwise. I pick the disc that works best. I'm also just play for fun.

Last edited:
Fuzion Felons or maybe a goldline Pioneer sound close to what you're looking at based on manufacturer preference.
I have Z raptors that I throw that are pretty flat, overstable, and feel good with a forehand release. As they age, they are picking up more glide and some turn.

OLF is a popular disc. And Millennium's stamping/run strategy is one I wish other manufacturers would pick up. Makes finding a run you like a dream.

Also, are the vultures really a bear in peed? Or do they turn?

I've been liking the MVP Tesla in the field, but don't think it will ever kick the OLFs out of my bag.

From the MVP side, the numbers seem to be in the neighborhood of an Axiom Wrath. I've never thrown a PD so I can't make a direct comparison, by in my experience with the Wrath my flight numbers would match up for what you're looking for. I also definitely find the Wrath super comfy both bh and fh. It's my go to fh disc.

Also, are the vultures really a bear in peed? Or do they turn?

Don't know much about it being a "bear in peed" or any other urniation process, but it is somewhat similar in speed. A little slower, less stable. Titanium Vulture reminds me of the coveted P-PD.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll ask buddies if they have any of these discs first. See if I can try them out for a round. Then the ones they don't have I'll go through these suggestions and give them a whirl. Thanks

Latest posts