• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for good newbie discs...

GuacaMolly

Hi guys!

So I've only been playing for about 3 months now and really only use back hand throws. So far I really like my Latitude 64 Diamond (Frost Line) and I'd like to know if there are any suggestions out there for similar discs. Preferably for someone who can just BARELY get to 200 ft. All suggestions are helpful! :)

If you like the feel of Lat, the maul is a nice option in the understable driver category

I will second the Jade. I suggest staying with 1 brand to limit overlap. However, I am not that up to date on Latitude 64 discs full line. I do know my wife's favorite at the moment is a Jade.

A Innova Skeeter is a very easy to use midrange, putt and approach that will fly very straight for most beginners and then be a keeper for turn over shots as you progress.

Innova Leopard for now.

When you feel you have improved a little next step would be an Innova Valkrie or Lat64 Fury or Discraft Heat.

I would also suggest getting at least 3 of what you have if you intend to do driving practice. The repetition of the same disc really lets things click.

Keep it simple

InnovaInnova Aviar, ROC and Leopard, DX plastic. Hopefully you don't fall into the trap of just buying a bunch of plastic to try and improve your game. Practice with a very limited number of discs.

Putter: SS Wizard 175g
Mid Range: Tursas or Wombat. 160g-175g
Fairway: Leopard, Jade, Witness. 140-165g
Driver: RoadRunner, Mamba 150-170g

InnovaInnova Aviar, ROC and Leopard, DX plastic. Hopefully you don't fall into the trap of just buying a bunch of plastic to try and improve your game. Practice with a very limited number of discs.

I've been warned of that! This guy on the Elk Grove disc course said to practice with several key discs before going out and trying more. I just loved the diamond so much I wanted more like it! Lol. :)

I have the Opto Diamond 152g, and it's a great beginner disc, really easy to throw. I also have a Gold Line River 168g, and it's a really nice step up!

When I began, 2+ years ago, I used 5 discs. DX Archangel, DX Kite, DX Skeeter, DX Stingray and DX Aviar P&A. It wasn't until 4 months later and a little better form, until I tried the DX Roc/Pro-D Buzzz. Then came a 150g Star Leopard, DX Beast and DX Wraith. The Leopard became my go to for everything. Then about a year later, I got a couple of Blizzard Katana's. From that point on, the only DX that I use are Roc's and Aviar's.

Sounds like you're doing fine, and I like some of the ideas mentioned (Jade, Diamond).

One other suggestion is a starter pack from either Dynamic Discs or Innova. Three discs (some may have four), usually lightweight and in baseline plastics, and good for many rounds of fun as well as learning basic techniques.

I will cast another vote for the Jade ,,,I have had diamonds also and the Jade is there next step up,, I use to buy all opto but now like the gold line feel better myself.

One other suggestion is a starter pack from either Dynamic Discs or Innova. Three discs (some may have four), usually lightweight and in baseline plastics, and good for many rounds of fun as well as learning basic techniques.

At my local pro shop, not sure if they still do this but when the previous owner was running it, you could build a starter pack (Innova) from what I saw from the base DX plastic from the shelf. Not sure if that went for the other company's starter pack or even if they still do it, but it couldn't hurt to ask if your local pro shop does the same.

You'd probably enjoy throwing a River in the same Frost plastic and as close to the weight of your Diamond as possible. That may mean you can only find one in the low 160s, but it's the perfect driver for beginners because of how well it glides on a level throw.

The River helped my form immensely with learning proper nose angles. It taught me how to throw nice and flat on an easy rip without trying to overpower it. I recently started throwing my old Gold Line River again after reading some of the advice on the forums here. It goes almost as far as my high speed distance drivers on a straight laser beam with much less effort required. The River has a long, beautiful, gliding flight.

Just bought my wife a Frost-line diamond in the 140s, and a X Stratus around 160. The Stratus took a few throws for her to adjust to the grip, but now it's her go-to disc.

Of course, a DX Leopard is always safe, especially after a few tree hits.

With the Diamond being somewhat like the Leopard, a DX Shark and Aviar would be the only other discs you really need. Yes, that's the starter set from Innova, and it's great for new players. No reason to try to reinvent the wheel.

You'll also probably find, at your distances, that midranges fly as far, if not further than your driver and with better control.

I know you want something similar to your Diamond, but you may find you prefer slower discs. I know I did when I was starting to learn a BH (started FH originally).