• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

looking to try a new disc for side arm

I personally enjoy a nice champ banshee for distance shots and an Opto Trident for touch shots. In the case of the trident, you can put a 45 degree anhyzer on it, throw it with good power, and it'll still fade!

My vote for a slower, overstable FH fairway driver is definitely the flat-top Firebird--must be flat! I think the disc speed is a 9, and it's a tried and true Ken Climo signature disc. Also great for thumbers and flick rollers. Glow flat-tops are probably the most affordable, but the newer 12xs with KC's signature are super flat and pretty cool. (I heard they're back to using the awesome 11x FB mold--not sure if that's a myth or not.)

For a driver that's not so overstable, try an Eagle.

The current champ and DX firebirds are pretty flat and good for FH throws. Those are what I use right now. I've also had luck with Beast, Eagle and Flick.

I throw side arm primarily, and greatly enjoy it. Been doing it for a while now, and just recently got a hole in one at La Mirada, CA with my blizzard ape. I was wondering however if going to a lower speed disc could be beneficial to learning a better form for my side arm, then go back to the ape later. I have completely taught myself, thus i am sure i have some wrong techniques, so i am hoping a lower speed disc will help me to go back and learn. Any suggestions for a lower speed side arm disc? (i hear teebird often, but the reviews i see for sidearm throws are very negative)

The Z Crush is my sidearm workhorse disc. Overstable but workably so, flat top, reliable and fights wind. A wide rim disc will give better distance but when controlled hyzer finish is called for I Crush.

Latest posts