• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing discs

bazillion

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Hey, it's part of the game, so let's get it out and talk about it. Anybody have some funny stories?

Okay, I'll start ...

Still learning, trying to get to the basket on #5 at Dolese (Oklahoma City). Stuck behind a huge tree with no direct route, so I figured I'd pitch out toward the lake and have the disc fade back in. Seemed like a pretty safe shot because the wind was blowing off the lake at about 25 mph, like it usually does, so I reached back and hucked it.

OK, so now you gotta know that this was a Roc that I was throwing, so (I didn't realize this) it held the line I put it on, NO MATTER WHAT.

So the disc kept going, straight arrow into the lake. As far as I know, it's still out there providing endless hours of fascinating discussion for the local fish :)

Funny? No.

I agree. All my lost disc stories are sad. :(

Last summer I lost 3 Pro Wraiths in about a week at the same course. I was playing a final practice round the night before a tournament when I threw the first one over a fence that separated the course from the interstate. I hopped the fence and spent about an hour searching the long grass on the slope down to the interstate but couldn't find it anywhere. I was freaking out about losing my "go to" driver on the night before the tournament, so I went to a local sporting goods store and paid way to much to replace it.

During the tournament, I grip locked the new Wraith into some trees alongside an OB creek, never to be seen again. Not in the tree, not over the creek, not in the creek (it was only a couple inches deep at the time). This was the last hole before looping back to the first hole, so as I passed the shelter, I asked the TD if there were any rules about buying and adding a disc to your bag mid-round. He said no, as long as you mark it right away. So I bought another Pro Wraith (at a slightly better price) and finished the round.

About a week later at the same course, I threw a shot that was a little high and hit a low branch on a lone tree in the fairway, and it just freaking vanished. It wasn't a thick tree so if it was stuck up in it, I should have been able to see it. I didn't hear it come out, but I looked all over the place under the tree and past it in case it had kept moving. Two guys even stopped and helped me look for a solid 20 minutes but it was gone.

So 3 discs, all the same mold, lost on 1 course in 1 week. They all had my name and phone number on them, but no one ever contacted me. Believe it or not, I still consider Pro Wraiths to be my favorite driver. I now carry a spare in my bag, and even an extra one waiting at home, but I haven't lost another one since. :confused:

Check out the picture for Hole #10 at Gillies Creek Park here. See that first little bunch of trees? When I was still a bit of a beginner, I threw one that hooked right into those trees, hitting low. There is actually a drain in there, like you'd see in the curb on a city street, maybe 18" tall, 36" wide. Those scrawny trees have grown up around the concrete fixture that was left in place from a now gone street. It's a very small little bunch of trees around concrete, so I can't see how the disc went anywhere else, but I never found it. I assume the disc went down the drain, literally.

I had something interesting happen on Tuesday. I was at my practice field, practicing some of my drives. I tee off by the sidewalk right next to the street. Let me preference this by saying that I am kind of a local disc golf celebrity in my small town. Actually most people know me as they guy in the field who throws Frisbees. I get it all over town. People say, "hey , your that guy I see in the field by the library throwing Frisbees."

On this day, I had my son and daughter out there with me and I was helping them work on their drives. A truck pulls up and honks and they guy says "Hey , I found this a while back. I figured I would see you out here, because you are out here all the time", and he hands me a disc I haven't seen in over a month. It was an SOLS that used to be white, but now it was faded yellow. Looks like it was quite weathered. I was surprised to get it back and I thanked the guy and he drove off. After he drove off, I started to wonder, why he didn't just call the number on the back.

What can't be destroyed can be lost!

There is a hole at D.F. Buchmiller Park (Lancaster, PA) that has a busy road along the left side of the fairway. The hole also has a bunch of trees and no clear path to the basket. I decided that I would throw FH and put a lot of hyzer on it so it comes back to the fairway after passing close to the road. Of course this is not what actually happened. My star beast that I found by climbing twenty feet up into a thorn covered tree landed right in the road. A passing truck then ran over it before I could retrieve it. However, it was totally unharmed. I continued to throw it until I lost it at Lums Pond, DE during a practice round. I looked for over an hour but finally gave up. :(

I was playing Lebanon DGC in Lebanon Ky for the first time a few weeks ago. The first hole is around 285ft with a pond that you have to go around on the right side, or carry over the pond to get to the basket. I typically throw a few shots to warm up a little before I play. This day was no different, so I thought. I pulled out a Champ Monarch, walked up to the tee and was going to throw a little turnover shot starting at the right edge of the pond and turning over into the open field. I let go of the disc waaaaay early with a hyzer angle, and not nearly enough spin for it to even start to turn over. It landed in the middle of the pond, and skipped, but still about 30ft from the edge.

On a warm up shot of all things? I guess I'll aim more toward the field next time...

I was playing Lebanon DGC in Lebanon Ky for the first time a few weeks ago. The first hole is around 285ft with a pond that you have to go around on the right side, or carry over the pond to get to the basket. I typically throw a few shots to warm up a little before I play. This day was no different, so I thought. I pulled out a Champ Monarch, walked up to the tee and was going to throw a little turnover shot starting at the right edge of the pond and turning over into the open field. I let go of the disc waaaaay early with a hyzer angle, and not nearly enough spin for it to even start to turn over. It landed in the middle of the pond, and skipped, but still about 30ft from the edge.

On a warm up shot of all things? I guess I'll aim more toward the field next time...

Lesson learned: Carry a trash disc of a Dragon for such a shot.

I've lost so many discs that I've gotten into a habit of when I'm stepping on the teepad, I kiss the disc, pat it a little bit and say "It was nice knowing you, honey. Have a nice trip." LOL

Woodpecker

I'm playing Bennett's Creek in Suffolk, VA. I'm throwing a few different shots, trying to figure out the best way through a few trees just off the red tees on #7. My lime green ESP Comet bounces off the tree and lands in a thicket that's inches deep in dead leaves. After throwing a couple more, I go look for it and forty minutes later, I sadly give up and play on.
I get a call two weeks later. A really nice local tells me he found it on the back nine.
Some other schmuck had found it and lost it and the the good guy finds it and gives it back.
If the disc could only talk...

Speaking of losing Discs I always happen to find them just sitting in the last holes basket, also there's never any numbers on the Disc either. Does this ever happen to anybody else? I must of found like 3-4 Discs this way.

Wow, I have never seen one left in a basket?!

I have found several just laying out in the open. Same here, they usually aren't marked. I figure someone either forgot to pick it up, or dropped it. I've forgot to pick them up a few times myself, when changing discs. So now that is the first thing I do, pick up my drive and put it back in the bag. I mark with a mini, I'd much rather leave a mini than my go to driver!

Speaking of losing Discs I always happen to find them just sitting in the last holes basket, also there's never any numbers on the Disc either. Does this ever happen to anybody else? I must of found like 3-4 Discs this way.

My son has about the same putting skills I have. None!!!

He'll miss a putt, reach into his bag and throw as many as 5 more, most of them missing the basket. Every once in while, he'll make one in the basket.

He'll go around picking up the discs that miss and forget the disc in the basket. LOL

Woodpecker

My son has about the same putting skills I have. None!!!

He'll miss a putt, reach into his bag and throw as many as 5 more, most of them missing the basket. Every once in while, he'll make one in the basket.

He'll go around picking up the discs that miss and forget the disc in the basket. LOL

Woodpecker

If you invest in a practice basket, and practice a lot at different distances, your putting will improve. Also, make sure you putter feels really good in your hand, and flies like you like. Also, try others putters to see what you like and don't like about different putters.

I tried alot of putters, before I settled on the one I know use.

Latest posts