• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing Weight, positive press

simpletwist

* Ace Member *
Check out #5.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/slideshow.asp?show=26

Eat less, exercise more.

- My green drink for breakfast
- 2 ROUNDS OF 18
- A Mickey D's Double Cheeseburger, no pickles for lunch
- A slice of sprouted grain bread toasted w/butter & Trader Joe's Super Fruit - jelly sprinkled with chia seeds & flaxseeds for a mid afternoon snack
- 1 turkey burger, homemade refried beans, Caesar salad w chia seeds, flaxseeds, & sunflower seeds, a small handfull of curly fries, a glass of WHOLE milk
- 1/2 cup TART cherry juice before bed
- At least 32 ounces of water throughout the day.

Lost 3.6 pounds since yesterday morning! :)

Check out #5.

Eat less, exercise more.

- 2 ROUNDS OF 18
- A slice of sprouted grain bread toasted w/butter & Trader Joe's Super Fruit - jelly sprinkled with chia seeds & flaxseeds for a mid afternoon snack
- 1 turkey burger, homemade refried beans, Caesar salad w chia seeds, flaxseeds, & sunflower seeds, a small handfull of curly fries, a glass of WHOLE milk

Keep up the good work :thmbup:, but do know that you didn't lose 3.6 lbs of fat in a day. That's mostly water. It takes ~3,500 calorie deficit to burn 1 lb of fat.

I've lost 50+ pounds in the last few years, now working on the last 5-10 or so. Same way pretty much, eat less and be more active. I plateaued a bit over winter but it's starting to turn around again. At least 18 holes everyday and at least one game of 1025 everyday in the backyard. Having a pedometer app and setting goals really helps as well. I found righting down your weight on a calendar everyday helpful too.

It's awesome that you're getting healthier, but you need more than 32 oz of water a day. Please drink more water.

DG has definitely helped me. Cutting back on the calories reasonably was enough to go from 182.5 to ~162 from last summer to April. Now with it nice out and the only changes being replacing sitting on my butt at lunch to fieldwork and ~4 nights of DG a week and I've started going down again. Under 160 all week and down to 157.5 the past few days. 25 lbs down...22.5 more to no longer being fat. Still the lightest I've been in ~10 years. :)

Anyone counting calories that has a smartphone should check out the free Lose It! app. (Actually, I'm not positive there's an Android version, mines iPhone.)

Nothing too fancy, but it makes it really easy to keep track of what you're eating calories wise.

My buddy and I are "friends" on it, and we're like brothers-competitive, so it adds that to the drive to lose a few.

Losing weight is one of the reasons I started playing disc golf in January. Not gonna list my diet, but it's 7 small meals, low protein, high metabolism diet. I play 3-4 times a week and at my 2 local courses, Veterans in Sylmar and Verdugo Hills in Tujunga, got my scores down to par on both courses. I've dropped 45lbs in the last 4 months with 40 more to go to reach my goal. Got my drives to about 300 consistently with an occasional 330-350 now and then and I can throw dead straight. Loving the sport so far and I've gotten 5 more people playing it regularly. Doing both courses at La Mirada tomorrow morning for the first time. Pretty pumped for that.

Agreed. I have at least 64 ounces per day. On the weekend though, I seem to replace a few of those servings with a Miller product.

Recent research has shown the benefits from larger quantities of water not as beneficial as once thought. Especially true when engaged in exercise or athletic endevours. The theory presented was to drink to thirst, not any formula. Each of our metabolisms and bodies have significantly different hydration needs, based on many factors. Bottom line, I took away was, hydration is very important, but taking in extra water beyond the bodies specific needs, gains no benefit. Drink beer.

Right on sparky! Make sure you wear a lot of sunblock at la Mirada It's really hot this week. Bring lots of water. The wind is slightly higher this week also, so plan accordingly.

I happened to have a beer with my last round Wednesday night at Verdugo...

Attachments

• 10308146_840899435939376_9198960144769885110_n.jpg
    10308146_840899435939376_9198960144769885110_n.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 31
I need to find a way to gain weight without increasing my cholesterol levels :(

Check out #5.

Eat less, exercise more.

- 2 ROUNDS OF 18

Congratulations, brother!

This is one of the main selling points for disc golf. People are always looking for that "miracle" diet or "miracle" fat-burning pill that will slice the poundage from their expanding mid-sections. Truth is, the old adage that "putting down the fork" is the hardest exercise ends up being the one thing people don't want to do.

I'm one of those people who've fluctuated radically several times. Lost 48 pounds on a deployment to Kuwait in 2006-2007 by running, lifting, and watching my diet (thanks Body For Life!); however, it's just as easy to lose weight by eating healthy and exercising. Problem is, most exercise isn't fun. Running/jogging is okay, but it soon becomes boring. And competition -- even if you're not "in it to win it" can be expensive.

I was sitting at 210 pounds last summer. I wasn't "fat" (I carried it well), but I was overweight. I've ridden this roller-coaster before so I wasn't concerned, but the problem was motivation. When you're deployed and have nothing else to do but focus on a goal you've set for yourself it's easy, but I had no goal. Then I found disc golf. Without even watching what I ate I lost ten pounds in the first six weeks. My new-found addiction had me playing at least 18 holes a day, so I was out of the house moving around. Once that ten pounds melted and I saw how easy it was because I was having fun it became a game. I played more, which not only increased my weight loss but improved my disc golf game.

I'm now about 185 and happy where I'm at. I could lose more with a more healthful diet, but why? I can eat & drink whatever I want and, as long as I'm playing the game I absolutely LOVE, I can maintain where I'm at. Hey, if it ain't broke....

This article is an awesome selling point for the game. It gets people outside, gets 'em active, and (hopefully) gives them a new goal to strive for. Thanks for posting it.....and again, congratulations!

For those that can afford it, this is what I started last month. I was never overweight (graduated high school at 135 lbs. and slowly gained about 1 to 2 pounds per year thereafter) but wanted to eat healthier. I'm down to 165 from my former 172 three weeks ago and just renewed for another two months. It fits my lifestyle and I am loving it.

Latest posts