• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost Distance over the Months ~400ft

Discahol1c

So i used to be able to throw around 450ft, im assuming it was through sheer power and strongarming because to me my form looks better now. I stopped playing regularly and i believe that is one of the main reasons that I can't throw as far. I know one of the problems i can see myself is that my pullthrough is uneven and i pull through my neck instead of my chest. Any critiques are appreciated, thanks a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-fRsh6WG7c

I can't speak to the current form clip, but love to hear the critiques to see if I'm seeing the same.
Anyway, often in most technique sports there will be plateaus and even step backs as you work on form things.
It can be discouraging when something either feels less comfortable or like here the results seem poor like losing distance. Just have to remember that you are increasing your potential by doing the work and making the changes and the distance will come back. Maybe increase but also maybe more consistency and accuracy and less effort.
It's tough when the easiest metric is distance but if you are improving form it will come back.

I'm interested in SW22's inevitable help with a more detailed eye. Something's wacky to me with how the disc is released (its trajectory) vs. where I think it's going to go from your setup. It's likely mostly your swing plane, which you've already said you've noticed is high to low to something.

What I'm noticing is you're throwing your torso forward (it's angled forward a lot form the hips if you trace your spine) and your shoulders are past your foot. When you plant, you are almost immediately on your plant foot's toes and your knee wants to keep going past the ankle. You need to get behind/into the brace, and use that to uncoil the arm rather than trying to toss your body at the target. That's what I'm seeing anyways, but I am not a 450' thrower.

Your hips/lower spine are not shifting forward and your upper body goes over the top/ahead/early.

i Think i understand what you're saying, is there a drill that would help with either one of these, i'll update with another video later tonight.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2885135#post2885135

This is a pretty common issue. We learn to take advantage of one aspect of the backhand and lose some other aspect.

1. Back foot is facing too far backwards, eliminating your ability to drive into the hip. The back knee is just along for the ride, instead of driving the action.

2. You are indeed missing out on the shift INTO the leading hip, which is also why your momentum carries forward past the plant. Richards drill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hi6W5CZuA and I'll just repeat what I said in that other thread: "Richard got me thinking about doing a brace that you could literally drive backwards from (STRAIGHT BACKWARDS). Load weight into hip and then spring straight back. If you drive to far "tipped forward" into the brace, you won't be able to spring straight back from it. If you drive to much on the back side, it will also self correct."

3. Your x-step is moving from right to left, but you're throwing a hyzer. Aligning your x-step properly with the shot your throwing will add power into hit. If you're throwing hyzer, move straight down the tee-pad or even a bit left to right. Anyzer shots will move you right to left.

This was before the critiques of HyzerUniBomber, I really tried to emphasize the plant foot torque and the bracing into the leg, i'm not sure if i'm doing it correctly but i added a little bit of distance doing this. I'd say i'm currently throwing 405-410' on average, and had a freak throw go around 420'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2trsgR2Kyg

You are leaning away during the whole x-step so your balance and posture are off and you can't load/turn inside your posture. You are trying to load your weight back too far and throwing everything else off, its like when all the clothes are on one side of the washing machine and the machine starts to wobble and become inefficient and rotate slower. You are just throwing your upper body back and forth instead of rotating the upper body through the hips from the ground up in balance. You are also trying to lead the throw with your head instead of anchoring and releasing the arm.

These as well, need to learn to throw up: :gross: ward and upright