• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lower back pain?(not that low pervs)

Tfire25

Double Eagle Member
I've been out for about a month due to a broken big toe. Tonight I tried a little putting practice and my lower back kept tensing up. Anybody else ever have this happen?

I couldn't putt for more than 10 mins without moderate pain.

Sounds to me like you need to strech your hamstrings.

Yup. A lot of lower back pain comes from tight hamstrings. Then you bend over repeatedly picking up the discs and strain your lower back. A few minutes stretching before playing should help with this a lot.

Need to strengthen your back muscles too. When I was dealing with sciatica issues last year, the Physical Therapist had me planking to stretch and strengthen the lower back area, hammies, and arms. Standing on one leg and balancing for 20 seconds , 5 reps on each leg seemed to help too. I Still do these exercises on occasion before a round of disc golf fun.

Thanks guys. I'll have to stretch a little before playing. I think I might have been avoiding pressure on my left toes and bending awkward.

Shout out to elm for the great advice......

What they all said. Tight hamstrings are often the culprit.

Stretch before playing, but stretch regularly, whether you're playing or not.

Even if that turns out to be the wrong diagnosis, you're still better off with proper stretching.

I have been plagued with back problems for 20 years. I started doing yoga a few months ago just for 10 min a day on a daily basis to stretch out and strengthen my back and as a side effect I gained 40' to my max D.

I just changed shifts to work early mornings and haven't been consistent with yoga and guess what I lost? About 40'.

It's probably not a magic formula for everyone, but for someone with back problems, yoga makes a huge difference in DG, and in pain.

The advice above could help. If pain is persistant, ice, rest and NSAID's. If pain does not go away see a doctor.

Strengthening your core muscles wouldn't hurt either.

Strengthening your core muscles wouldn't hurt either.

I hurt my lower back when I tried throwing a big drive without a warm up. That was almost 2 years ago, and it still bothers me. I've tried a lot of different things. So far I've learned that rest, NSAIDs, and not doing anything just made it worse. Tons of core exercise is the only thing that seems to help. Every injury is different, though.

Lol. I broke it because I thought it needed to be under a jumping jack compactor. One of my Dg buds posted a video on fb how to properly run one without breaking anything. He then went on to tell everyone that he also gives out advice on how to win a tournament. He thinks its funny I keep placing top 5 and not winning.

I don't think it's funny. Freaking d-bag made me laugh though.

I have bulging discs, bone spurs and my spine is straight where its supposed to curve. Thats from years of BMX and snowboarding crashes. Well and just from riding too.

If I dont stretch and do my normal Yoga routine I will be laid up for days. We just had our first child and I've been slacking on core exercises and as a result I threw my back out recently during a tournament.

So yeah, exercise and stretch. Its important.

I broke 3 spinous processes in my lower back years ago and let me tell you, the hamstrings are connected to the lower spine. I fell on my bicycle...from the story above. For each of the next 20 years I had a lower back event (twice I had to get a ride home because I couldn't drive) until I switched to a stand-up desk for work about 5 years ago. Now I'm back to pack mule status, especially my gas output.

The point of the story is...what was the question?

If I dont stretch and do my normal Yoga routine I will be laid up for days. We just had our first child and I've been slacking on core exercises and as a result I threw my back out recently during a tournament.

So yeah, exercise and stretch. Its important.

Not to mention that carrying a small child is really tough on the back. They won't keep their center of gravity in one place, there are only a limited number of positions you can hold them, and of course you'll strain whatever's necessary to keep from dropping them.

I have found(by total accident) that doing a Charlie brown and landing on your bag tends to help, lol. My back was locked up half of last winter, until I accidently fell. I was walking down a hill at Mt Airy, when I slipped and landed full weight on my bag in the small of my back. My spine sounded like a xylophone when it popped. It hurt like hell when it happened. But 5 minutes later my back loosened up and it didn't hurt again.... til recently.

I have found(by total accident) that doing a Charlie brown and landing on your bag tends to help, lol. My back was locked up half of last winter, until I accidently fell. I was walking down a hill at Mt Airy, when I slipped and landed full weight on my bag in the small of my back. My spine sounded like a xylophone when it popped. It hurt like hell when it happened. But 5 minutes later my back loosened up and it didn't hurt again.... til recently.

I seem to remember a simpsons episode like this with homer and a chiropractic garbage can....

Latest posts