• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Luster vs Metal Flake vs Metal Flake Glow

Joecuzzi

So I've been throwing the Drew Gibson Luster Leopard3 since 2018 and it's finally breaking in a little and I mean just a smidge. Does Metal Flake/MFG take a really long time to beat in too? I accidentally hit concrete with the luster leo3 and it slid across the asphalt. I picked it up expecting road rash and there wasn't a scratch on it. Is Metal Flake and Metal Flake Glow this durable too??

I think this is more down to the individual run than slight variations in Champion plastic.

I've found that stiff Champion usually breaks in slower than softer Champion. Metal Flake is usually pretty stiff, but I've owned softer Metal Flake discs too. Luster varies just as much as your average Champion disc, in my experience.

I've never tried Metal Flake Glow, but if it's similar to Champion Glow and Champion Color Glow then it's a fair bet that the colorless stuff will be pretty stiff (and probably pretty durable) and the colored stuff will be softer (and less durable).

In my experience, I've found the same - stiffness translates to holding stability longer, which makes sense. it's a more durable resin when it's harder. All the champ plastic varieties have a range of stiffness and stability within themselves, but as a *general trend* and not a rule - I've found

Glow > MF > Luster in increasing stability.

In my experience, I've found the same - stiffness translates to holding stability longer, which makes sense. it's a more durable resin when it's harder. All the champ plastic varieties have a range of stiffness and stability within themselves, but as a *general trend* and not a rule - I've found

Glow > MF > Luster in increasing stability.
I agree with this flow of stability...in general... except your use of <> symbols confuses my math mind. It looks like you are saying glow has GREATER THAN stability of MF which is GREATER THAN stability of luster. Luster>MF>Glow - decreasing stability left to right =)

Hahaha I thought that might be confusing! Just think greater instability lmao.. I knew it xd

That era of luster is really durable and came out stiffer & with higher PLH. I prefer the luster QJLS (1.13 run) and Teebird3s that came out around the same time.

More recent luster/MF/glow additives have been added to the softer/more flexible 'stock' Champion blend. Can't say for sure if the additives extend the durability much but they probably affect the cooling portion of the molding process which can produce higher PLH & dome. The base blend stiffness likely has the biggest effect on durability.

Last edited:
That era of luster is really durable and came out stiffer & with higher PLH. I prefer the luster QJLS and Teebird3s that came out around the same time (1.13 run).

More recent luster/MF/glow additives have been added to the softer/more flexible 'stock' Champion blend. Can't say for sure if the additives extend the durability much but they probably affect the cooling portion of the molding process which can produce higher PLH & dome. The base blend stiffness likely has the biggest effect on durability.
I really like that run of Luster JLS's too especially the opaque ones. When I found out how good that plastic was and for only $13 I picked up a bunch! Even the lightweight ones are good! Does the teebird3 have the same top as the JLS too?

I threw a Gibson L3 and wanted it to break in for years, but it never developed that big Leo turn. Just went from old premium Teebird stable to straight with wiggle. It was almost infuriating how it would never turn. Fore hands like magic, though.

I threw a Gibson L3 and wanted it to break in for years, but it never developed that big Leo turn. Just went from old premium Teebird stable to straight with wiggle. It was almost infuriating how it would never turn. Fore hands like magic, though.
Mine is very straight too with basically no turn and no fade. Probably would skip straight too if I threw it forehand.

I've had the same Luster MD and AviarX3 in my bag since I believe 2019. Both are softer than the run of Leopard3 Joecuzzi has. The AviarX3 has been thrown at least 4x more, so it goes a bit straighter than when it was new, but it's still overstable. The MD still flies like the day I got it. I've never bagged any metal flake, but can confirm that most if not all champ color glow will beat in faster than luster.

I really like that run of Luster JLS's too especially the opaque ones. When I found out how good that plastic was and for only $13 I picked up a bunch! Even the lightweight ones are good! Does the teebird3 have the same top as the JLS too?

Best JLS IMO. I'm always in the market for more of this run.

Latest posts