• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

M.P.H

I don't know if there is any way to realistically answer that, as there is so much technique involved in throwing discs.

I seriously doubt that there's any correlation between the two.

DISCMAN said:
If i can throw a baseball about 65mph how far can i throw a disc?

then don't try out for the pros (that's not very good) :p

there was a guy at BG Ams with a radar gun he got reads of over 70 mph

In guts I believe the speed record of a 110 gram guts disc is 114 mph.

What's more impressive is that Tim Selinske (yes, from Innova) caught a 109 mph throw. Pretty impressive considering a disc covers 30 feet pretty quickly at that speed.

roadkill said:
What's more impressive is that Tim Selinske (yes, from Innova) caught a 109 mph throw. Pretty impressive considering a disc covers 30 feet pretty quickly at that speed.

That seems like a pretty cool record to hold given how hard it will be to break. Not only do you have to react within 0.1875 seconds and catch the disc, you also have to find someone that can throw guts disc 109 mph.

garublador said:
Not only do you have to react within 0.1875 seconds and catch the disc, you also have to find someone that can throw guts disc 109 mph.

I'm glad someone took the initiative to do the math.

One of my friends was and is a good guts player. He soaks my throws all day long. When we play a pick up game we try our best at not throwing to him. He typically catches 85-95% of the throws within his reach. I bet he could catch a disc traveling at 90+mph.

robbie bratton broke the record in houston, but I don't think it is official, 139 or something outrageous, before he hit the gun with his follow thru and broke it.

What can i do to add speed my forearms are in pretty good shape already?

Buy an exercise gyro from me. :)

It's not all about strength but the combination of strength and coordination. I've found the powerball type gyros effective for enhancing grip strength, hand speed and coordination.

Follow the link in my signature to my eBay store or PM me and I can offer you a discount for a few bucks off any of the models I have.

DISCMAN said:
Roadkill can i buy one at a store

Sure you could, you'll just pay a little more than what I charge.

However I would caution you about buying the cheaper (<$25) models. The 250hz models by Powerball and the Pro Plus models by Dynaflex are smoother, longer lasting and capable of generating higher speeds and greater torque than lower end models from generic companies. (The powerball metal is the king of gyros but it has two downsides: a $115 price tag , and it puts out so much torque it's easy to injure yourself if you're not careful. The metal is really for advanced users.)

You want to get a gyro that can create at least 13000 rpms/ 35lbs of torque. And I highly recommend opting for a speedmeter to gauge your progress and to add interest to your workout sessions. Trust me you'll be far more likely to use it on a regular basis if you can quantify your strength gains and take advantage of the programmed strength index workouts that the speedmeter provides.