• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] M1 vs Gator vs Hornet... looking to fill the os mid slot..

dekdo

Double Eagle Member
So i bought an m3 (now known as the m2) and it just wasnt what i was expecting so now im considering an M1 or something like that such as a Gator or Hornet..

Im NOT looking for a beefy overstable mid that will start to go left the second it leaves my hand, but I want something that can fight the wind well and also go straight for a bit with good beefy fade.

I havent thrown any of these, but I was wondering how they are preforming and what might be preferable.

Also I have a zone, but I want something I can push out farther..

those metalflake cfr gators are the business. but if you like your tangent you could try a tensor.

I had a tensor, didnt like how it felt in my hand

A gator will definitely be beefy overstable left out of the hand (At least the Champ and glow ones do.) But a star Gator will be less overstable than a champ and still fight the wind. I think that the Hornet would be more what you are looking for though.
I would also look into a DGA Shockwave. They are excellent overstable midranges, but not so overstable that they are meathooks.

Big difference between the most over stable mids (to me) is that M1/Hornet/Tensor have more glide than Gator/Drone/Trident, so the amount/direction of wind comes into play.

Big difference between the most over stable mids (to me) is that M1/Hornet/Tensor have more glide than Gator/Drone/Trident, so the amount/direction of wind comes into play.

That seems to be what (more glide) i am looking for... so then I suppose the gator is out of the picture..

Ive heard the Hornet isnt as beefy as it might seem? Would the M1 be a better choice? Anyone thrown both?

Last edited:
I love throwing the Hornet in the wind. Also have an Obex which I used last weekend since I left my hornet somewhere on the course when playing safari...

Get you a Hornet.

I have thrown my buddies and I love it. It has a nice predictable overstability. I would get one,but I like my Mace too much. :D

M1 has worked very well for me in the wind, but as mentioned before this does have nice glide. You have to look at if you want a mid that dumps at the end of the fade or glides. You could essentially have both in the bag if need be. As I carry both the trident and the M1.

I use to have a star gator, and I really liked it. But it ended up getting replaced by the Roc3

M1 is still on my try list. Unfortunately the consistency in color is forcing me to wait.

Or a suspect. Just picked one up and it's amazing. Really really impressed by it.

I like the Hornet for a beefy but not Gator/Drone/Zone overstable disc. It has considerable glide for an OS disc, and can be thrown hard into the wind. It flies straight and has a strong, dependable fade.

Because it is glidier and not as crazy OS as the other discs I mentioned, if you throw a into a strong wind, the Hornet's not as tolerant with OAT.

I carry a Hornet and a beadless Star Gator. To me the Hornet as not as OS as the Gator and serves a different purpose. The Gator is for holding hyzer lines in a solid headwind when the Hornet will stand up and turn ever so slightly. Hornet is used more often though, as it can hold a straight line for a decent while before a strong fade...whearas the Gator does not do straight lines as well.

M1 is still on my try list. Unfortunately the consistency in color is forcing me to wait.

You dont want to try a disc just because of the color.. :doh:

I just picked up an M1 today, going to give it a try and see how it works for the overstable slot.

You dont want to try a disc just because of the color.. :doh:

I just picked up an M1 today, going to give it a try and see how it works for the overstable slot.

I believe he means Different colors are flying differently and he wants to wait until they're more consistent. So he doesn't end up with a dud.

Latest posts