• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mad City Open Changes

Cale aced 14 at Elver the first round.

So that's two so far, payout must have been pretty good considering there were 270 players and most people get in the ace pool.

I've had no luck getting Ace runs to stick at Token Creek, I hit chains hard on hole 3 and it dropped out a few feet from the basket. :mad: I can't believe they don't upgrade the baskets something like Mach X's, I was watching Cale check and untangle chains every time he had a putt of any length at all at token.

So that's two so far, payout must have been pretty good considering there were 270 players and most people get in the ace pool.

I've had no luck getting Ace runs to stick at Token Creek, I hit chains hard on hole 3 and it dropped out a few feet from the basket. :mad: I can't believe they don't upgrade the baskets something like Mach X's, I was watching Cale check and untangle chains every time he had a putt of any length at all at token.

I'd bet Cale does that most everywhere regardless of the basket.

New baskets would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. I still like them better than the new red Mach V's at Elver and Hstand (the short pins that weren't there for MCO). Somehow those catch worse.

Also, I think the ace pool was $5. So yeah, it could have been pretty high.

Using What baskets currently?

New baskets would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. I still like them better than the new red Mach V's at Elver and Hstand (the short pins that weren't there for MCO). Somehow those catch worse.

Some baskets like new Mach baskets sometimes the S hook turns funny at the top and needs to be fixed after every putt until the S hook is opened up just a tad more, sometimes they are pinched off the way they were put on too tight to the basket or to the chains. At least this happened more with the baskets made after 2005. This also happens with the Innova Sport models I know it does with the older single set, not sure of new 24.

Last edited:

Yes the ace pool was $5 so there was probably over $1,000 in it. I wish it would be a requirement for all tournaments to have to post Ace pool payouts and Am payouts, the way Ledgestone does it should be the standard.

I agree about the Mach 5's, but I still prefer just about anything to chainstars. You may be right about Cale and his basket checking routine, I never noticed it before but it was pretty obvious he was making a special effort to make sure the chains were untangled before putting (at Token).

A new set of Mach X baskets would be a drop in the bucket considering the huge dollars the county has been pulling in with $8 pay to play.

Using What baskets currently?

Chainstars - tangling, spit out machines.

Those are the worst after the old original Mach II as those have cut though so bad,not the tangle problem. Also they have a bottom disc entrapment that is worse then a Modern Mach II bottom disc entrapment, due to how the top part is, go low and you have spit out. The only branded non knockoff basket worse for tournament play is the old Innova sport 18 model, the discs love to cut right though chains due to how skinny and light the chains are for a full height bottom disc entrapment.

I had to suffer for a while with the old Chainstars at a PDGA tournament at Jackson Park In Rapid City during the mid 2000's in 2007. Later the park got the modern Mach V right in the time I stopped playing between 2009 and 2014. Now the next year 2008 the Jackson Park course had old style Mach III and the Chainstar got the bottom stands that originally came with the Mach III, to have the Chainstar as spare basket holes and as practice baskets for league and tournaments.

Last edited:
Yes the ace pool was $5 so there was probably over $1,000 in it. I wish it would be a requirement for all tournaments to have to post Ace pool payouts and Am payouts, the way Ledgestone does it should be the standard.

I agree about the Mach 5's, but I still prefer just about anything to chainstars. You may be right about Cale and his basket checking routine, I never noticed it before but it was pretty obvious he was making a special effort to make sure the chains were untangled before putting (at Token).

A new set of Mach X baskets would be a drop in the bucket considering the huge dollars the county has been pulling in with $8 pay to play.

Token Creek has older (circa 2001) Mach 5s...not Chainstars. Bird's Ruins out in Marshall has Chainstars.

Latest posts