• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maine - Portland and Bar Harbor

grodney

* Ace Member *
Upcoming: A few days in Portland and Bar Harbor with a drive up Hwy 1 in-between. Of course I'll look at reviews and ratings here, but any insider knowledge on courses to hit or miss? Not looking for anything turbo, I'm fine with casual since it's a family affair.

And I'll take any brewery advice. We're staying downtown Portland and it looks like several options within walking distance (Rising Tide, Bunker, Oxbow). Those okay? Any other can't miss downtown? Do I need to drive up to the cluster around Allagash?

How about breweries in Bar Harbor? Anything other than Atlantic Brewing? Google Maps shows "Bar Harbor Brewing" in town, but links back to Atlantic.

I was just up there. Bar harbor brewing has some good beers. Cadillac mountain stout is jammin! Might be my favorite stout. Alagash is up that way, they make great beers. If you find yourself in New Hampshire, hill's farmstead brewery is a must stop. If you go through nyc, captain Lawrence brewery is a must stop. Their saison is excellent.

sabattus would be about 30 mins out of the way but well worth it if you have the time. it's not a difficult course but it is a great one. there aren't many courses along route 1

Thanks guys. Sabattus looks like it might be worth a detour on the way to Bar Harbor.

Oxbow and the other breweries downtown look like a given. Will have to make a decision on the ones in the article Jeronimo posted.

If you get on Industrial way you can probably bang out most of those breweries in a day. There has be a half dozen all right next to each other over there. Before you get to Portland there's also a couple just south along Rt 1 you can hit up like Barreled Souls in Saco and Banded Horn in Biddeford. There's so many small breweries up here its hard to know where to even start, you really just can't go wrong.

As far as courses go, the ones not to miss are:
Sabattus - 3 good courses on site, great shop, one of if not THE most polished venues (FYI: No bottles or dogs on the course!)
Ackers Acres - 2 Good courses on site, small shop, fun course
Porcupine Ridge - Great course, fabulous shot variation. Bugs are terrible
Quarry Run - Cool place, shorter course but very wooded, pretty fun - Nice shop
Pleasant Hill - Incredibly manicured course, not a complicated course but beautiful
Woodland Valley - 3 Good courses, well maintained, great pro shop w/food - Out of the way from Rt 1 though
CR Farms - Fun little par 3 course, wooded with most holes under 300' - Right off I95
Bittersweet Ridge - Right off I95, two courses that are really nice, fun place

Have fun man!

Latest posts