• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

man made obstacle opinions please

mhulkman

Hey! Would really appreciate some feedback on this idea a few of us have been discussing for home course that is treeless. There is a substantial amount of elevation change and most baskets are guarded by 5-7ft tall brush, slopes,drop offs, n a few on top of mounds but there isn't much shot shaping from the tees.

What about a 4inch by 4inch x 12ft cedar post cemented 2ft deep leaving 10 above ground. Then using 6ft long cedar fence boards as branches, screwing them into the post. Angle the top 2 boards above the post and you could roughly have a 14ft high x 10ft wide obstacle. We could even spray paint the fence boards green so they blend in a little better with the scenery.
One of the best parts is the price, only $30 retail.

We do not intend to go overboard with this. Was thinking 2-3 of these obstacles on 6-8 holes out of 27.
Anyway, let me kno what you think or would love to hear any other inexpensive ways to make a few obstructions out there.

man made obstcles,treeless course?

Hey! Would really appreciate some feedback on this idea a few of us have been discussing for home course that is treeless. There is a substantial amount of elevation change and most baskets are guarded by 5-7ft tall brush, slopes,drop offs, n a few on top of mounds but there isn't much shot shaping from the tees.

What about a 4inch by 4inch x 12ft cedar post cemented 2ft deep leaving 10 above ground. Then using 6ft long cedar fence boards as branches, screwing them into the post. Angle the top 2 boards above the post and you could roughly have a 14ft high x 10ft wide obstacle. We could even spray paint the fence boards green so they blend in a little better with the scenery.
One of the best parts is the price, only $30.

We do not intend to go overboard with this. Was thinking 2-3 of these obstacles on 6-8 holes out of 27.
Anyway, let me kno what you think or would love to hear any other inexpensive ways to make a few obstructions out there.
Thanks!

I think it'd be really cool to attend some auctions, estate sales, browse craigslist, junkyards, recycling centers etc. I'm not sure exactly what you might find for affordable prices, but I imagine some large structures, old construction equipment, random artwork, other random objects.

Just for example, I know one of the cheapest construction materials you can get your hands on is old tires filled with dirt, and I can imagine some cool structures that could be built with them... Or I imagine a basket on an island green called carhenge - I know when I personally had old rundown cars to get rid of, I would have gladly donated it to an awesome cause like that..

Anyone with a half-decent arm will just throw right over that like it's not even there unless it's right by the tee or basket.

Put in some sheets of plywood with pneumatic linear actuators and program them to pop up at random intervals! Really wanna go big? Install the actuators in the teepads too!

Brent Baca course in ABQ has a bunch of metal obstacles. Basically frames of cubes stacked up. It's pretty cool.

Put in some sheets of plywood with pneumatic linear actuators and program them to pop up at random intervals! Really wanna go big? Install the actuators in the teepads too!

Sounds like the TV show "Wipe Out".

One course I played at years ago used to have a large paper-mache tree to guard one of the 300 foot, slightly downhill, wide open holes. It was gimmicky, but added personality to the course. they planted hundreds of trees on the course. It took years but the trees grew in and changed the lay out of the course completely

I played a course in South Phoenix that had big concrete tubes as mandos.

Horrible course.

For Charlotte's 21-Hole Salute on RL Smith, they used old construction vehicle tires (really big ones) to set up an artificial barrier to an island hole. Too lazy to link, but it was done by Jomez. Just look up 21 hole salute on YouTube. It's hole 20, I think, so it'll be at the end of the video.
Another thought, I have played at two courses (Mint Hill and Richlands-Steed) that started out very bland, but have been helped immensely by trees and brush that have grown up over the years by selectively not mowing designated areas. So planting trees and shrubs and selective mowing is a long-term and effective way to build character into a course.

Round bales.
Large round bales of hay.

I've always thought these would be good instant obstacles on a featureless course, especially in a rural setting. I've thought about getting some, myself. They're moveable---easily with the right equipment, but can be rolled by hand with some effort---so can easily be put right where you want them, or moved around. And they're cheap---at least, in our rural area, they are.

I wholeheartedly endorse any interesting obstacles. Sometimes I wish there were mandos on every hole too...even thought about hosting the All-Mando Championships with one or several mandos on every hole.

My local electric company gives away old telephone poles to their customers for free. If you can get them, they can be concreted in the ground around the basket for players to putt around or in front of the tee pad to force a particular flight path. They can also be laid end to end on the ground in a circle and filled with mulch to make a nice island green. Or cut a pole in thirds, bind the 3 pieces together, bury them in the ground with 3 or 4 feet sticking up, then insert the basket pole in the middle to make an elevated basket. Or bury a couple of poles in the ground in front of the tee pad, then bolt a third pole across the top for a clowns mouth mando. Or, you could just plant some trees.

Yes Im aware that they will need to be relatively close on a flat hole but not as bad with some of the elevation that comes into play on this course. An uphill hole can add another 2-4ft. One hole we r looking at, the basket is in the middle of a slope with moderate downhill bhind the basket so an obstacle 40-50ft in front on top of the slope, making it 18ft above the basket n 11ft wide. That makes for a tight target to fly over the obstacle n not airmail or skip it by the basket n glide or slide down the slope.

That is, however, a better use of an old dump. Then again, the problems with it are unrelated to the mandos. Oddly, I thought those were a good idea, given the options.

It really wasn't that bad of a course honestly, and a good multi-use park on an old landfill (archery?)

The one short hole with the big tube was fun.

That other one, if you went for it from the tee, could really destroy your disc.

Round bales.
Large round bales of hay.

I've always thought these would be good instant obstacles on a featureless course, especially in a rural setting. I've thought about getting some, myself. They're moveable---easily with the right equipment, but can be rolled by hand with some effort---so can easily be put right where you want them, or moved around. And they're cheap---at least, in our rural area, they are.
Love this idea... think they'd be be cool. Bonus: not harsh on plastic.

Brent Baca course in ABQ has a bunch of metal obstacles. Basically frames of cubes stacked up. It's pretty cool.

I was going to mention this course if no one else did. They did a lot of different things with various different things to create the tree lined feel. I would check photos of this course out for more ideas.

Artificial Christmas trees. I have a hole on my course that is ringed with about 7 of them. They last quite a few years depending on the abuse they get. Just pound a 1.5" metal pipe in the ground and insert the tree. You can often find them on Craigslist for free. See 'em all the time at garage sales and Goodwill/ thrift stores. I've never paid more than $5 for one. This is the time of year you'll start seeing them pop up in the free section of Craigslist. Folks will pull them out of storage and the lights don't work, or the decide to upgrade, and will be dumping them. Same goes for after the holiday in January.

Latest posts