• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Man made obstacles on the course.

Planting trees is terrific. Among other things, you can boast that disc golf has done something for the park, which may pay off later.

But you have to be patient for trees to grow into significant obstacles, unless you spring for a lot of money. There's also more to it than just planting the tree; it's got to be cared for and survive the first couple of years.

Whenever someone complains about gimmicky and no traditional I think back to the early 80s when all we had was safari frisbee golf and made up holes.....throw around those telephone poles over the parking lot oob and land it on the picnic table.....skip shot under the bench off the pavement and over the fence to that flagpole

Guess we were a bunch of no traditional gimmicky players playing 30 yrs ago before traditional and serious courses were made

I miss gimmicky safari FUN frisbee golf

Planting trees is terrific. Among other things, you can boast that disc golf has done something for the park, which may pay off later.

But you have to be patient for trees to grow into significant obstacles, unless you spring for a lot of money. There's also more to it than just planting the tree; it's got to be cared for and survive the first couple of years.

Larger trees are for sure more expensive, thats why I issued the price range for 2 footers. Yeah you would probably have to maintain them by watering them once in a while, and maybe tying them down. Not sure I don't plant trees. Anyways the larger ones triple in price real fast. If you have the budget for a couple grand then that would be the way to go, but 600 bucks seems feasible. Then give it a few years and beyond and your issue is solved long term.

When I find that giant box of money I've been looking for, one of my goals is to build my own disc golf course. One section of the course would be through a bamboo forest. Bamboo grows incredibly fast.

I even want to build a bamboo maze. I shall place a large dining room table in the middle of it, let the bamboo grow around it, and nobody would know how the giant table got stuck in the middle of a bamboo forest maze.

Nobody except you!

Larger trees are for sure more expensive, thats why I issued the price range for 2 footers. Yeah you would probably have to maintain them by watering them once in a while, and maybe tying them down. Not sure I don't plant trees. Anyways the larger ones triple in price real fast. If you have the budget for a couple grand then that would be the way to go, but 600 bucks seems feasible. Then give it a few years and beyond and your issue is solved long term.

Small trees get trampled and stepped over by irresponsible discers
Especially if the trees are in the way of their walk or shot
Just reality

Small trees get trampled and stepped over by irresponsible discers
Especially if the trees are in the way of their walk or shot
Just reality

I was thinking about that, tie them down with string and stakes. Put a sign up on the first tee to be careful around the newly planted trees. Yeah sure you could still have vandalism but getting the thought into peoples heads to protect the course I think would work.

Generally speaking, the first year or two after planting a tree, it doesn't grow much, if at all. You have to guard it all that time. And water it---almost always in a place where water isn't readily available. Then, for another couple of years, it's susceptible to damage from thrown discs---and, if you're putting it where it's a meaningful obstacle, it better be getting hit by thrown discs.

Don't get me wrong---planting trees is a GREAT idea. You just have to be aware of the limitations.

Put small trees in cages until they get big enough.

^Did this with some old metal tomato cages and 48" tall chicken wire, but it was mostly to keep the rabbits and deer from getting to them.

Go check out the pictures of Brent Baca in New Mexico, they've done some of that there to make things a little trickier. They used abandoned construction materials to make some tricky lines off the tee, and some railroad ties to protect a green.
My home course. There's four holes (1,3, 11, and 12) that have man-made obstacles. The one suggestion I might have is not putting that obstacle directly in front of the tee pad.
When the course is wide open, flat, and has no trees you've gotta do something to keep it challenging.
Here's holes 11 and 12. Hole 11 has an obstacle directly in front of each tee pad (am and pro), and also has the same obstacles guarding the basket. Hole 12 has the same obstacles as 11, but mid fairway, forcing a big hyzer. The basket is also in the middle of a ~30' diameter fenced circle that's 6' high.
2311eca9.jpg

0bdce2e1.jpg

It was high noon, tournament day. We were a few holes into the wooded section of the course, when we came to a clearing. From the tee, the fairway followed an old dirt trail straight into a deserted town right out of the Old West. Wooden shacks lined each side of the fairway, each looking like it was from our favorite Western. There was a General Store, the Jail, a Grand Hotel, and a few others, but we knew our destination from the tee sign lay at the end of this dead end street--The Saloon. As we walked up to our drives, however, we realized our chances of a birdie were slim. Right in front of the saloon was a plywood Marshal with his six shooter drawn on us! With bags hung on the hitching posts, we took turns making our shots, sneaking by the lawman, sailing through the tall arched entrance into the saloon, where in the middle of the floor was the shining basket. With only a couple of pars and a bogey, we decided to get out of town and headed West into deeper territory, the better shooters behind us, gaining like a posse. Yeehaw.

Find a manufacturer or dealer of tractors or bulldozers or track hoes to title sponsor an event. The bigger and more crazy the better. In addition to added cash, ask to borrow the big stuff. Have them park the equipment on the course, right on the green of a hole in view of the public or spectators, with the basket an inch away from a dozer blade or bucket. That would be a nice touch. Gimmicky, yeah, but it's promoting a sponsor in a way that'll be sure to have lots of photos. And it can make really tricky putting.

Find a manufacturer or dealer of tractors or bulldozers or track hoes to title sponsor an event. The bigger and more crazy the better. In addition to added cash, ask to borrow the big stuff. Have them park the equipment on the course, right on the green of a hole in view of the public or spectators, with the basket an inch away from a dozer blade or bucket. That would be a nice touch. Gimmicky, yeah, but it's promoting a sponsor in a way that'll be sure to have lots of photos. And it can make really tricky putting.

great idea!

Keyhole Bunker

There is an area on the Flying Dragon that is very congested and I was considering putting up a fence around hole 4 basket to contain the errant disc that might come flying at your head. Instead, after reading this thread, I've started building a keyhole shaped bunker around the basket, with a 1 shot penalty from the lie, with everything outside the bunker OB, with a 2 shot penalty from a drop zone. I am hoping that will reduce the number of wilder throws. Think this will work? Gimmicky?

Attachments

• Keyhole plan (640x529).jpg
    Keyhole plan (640x529).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 82
  • keyhole to tee (640x384).jpg
    keyhole to tee (640x384).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 91
Paseo Vista in Chandler, AZ has a couple huge concrete tubes that are mandos to go through. I'd provide a link to the pictures on here but my phone makes that difficult.

https://www.empressroyaltree.com/?mid=1177731&gclid=CLqb0P_8jb0CFYZAMgodd2gArQ#order

You can get 4 trees for 22 bucks shipped! Not only that they grow super fast like 12 feet in one year!

I stumbled upon these trees and thought it would be perfect for disc courses as it is cheap, grows super fast and it's dang cool looking too. Environmentalists will applaud your disc golf course!

Other than the fact that they are considered invasive in the US (so says Wikipedia...)

https://www.empressroyaltree.com/?mid=1177731&gclid=CLqb0P_8jb0CFYZAMgodd2gArQ#order

You can get 4 trees for 22 bucks shipped! Not only that they grow super fast like 12 feet in one year!

I stumbled upon these trees and thought it would be perfect for disc courses as it is cheap, grows super fast and it's dang cool looking too. Environmentalists will applaud your disc golf course!

Not so sure the environmentalists are going to applaud planting that tree. It's an invasive and destructive species. There's a reason it is cheap and grows fast...it isn't all that desirable.

Latest posts