• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mapping a disc golf course - Zephyr Cove

Per the mention of using a smartphone for GPS-point collections, u can use an app called "Locus Free" for Android phones which allows saving them in a folder (per course/date/etc) and export as a KML/KMZ-file. Though most smartphones are only accurate 10-50ft, u can tighten that up if the phone has both GPS & Glonass (wiki maintains a list) and importing them to Google Earth for further adjustment (assuming u know the course from the birdseye view).

Per ur maps above (they are really great), u could address the label density of baskets by replacing them with symbols (like a=circle, b=square, c=triangle, etc). I also do similar course maps that are "characterized" usng tee/pin/tree/disc-path/etc objects along w/ forest shape/textures (for off-fairway where needed) that are to-scale and GPS-enabled (course-map JPG-file saved w/ GPS info in KMZ-file). I can appreciate ur effort & detail in doing this.

One really annoying thing with Google Earth/Maps/Bing is that they used a weird projection that is inherently inaccurate. It is more accurate than a mobile devices GPS, so for on the course navigation it is good enough.
I think there is a lot of potential for phone to be very accurate GPS units, the signal from towers, combined with some real time corrections from the data network. I doubt the consumer market is that interested in it, but the potential is there.
I will look into that app. I also talked to someone recently who does open source GIS, and we might try to create a crowd sourced course mapping tool (adapting some pre existing ones).

Something I prefer to see in any course maps is that they are "to scale" and reasonably accurate from the birdseye view. Having North at the top is also good but not required. Many are done that way and if so can be GPS-enabled for use in any app that supports KMZ-files. The KMZ-file (I expect u know) is simply the JPG/graphic file of the course map with GPS/coordinate info within to identify exactly where on earth the course resides. Google Earth (the desktop version) allows a user to add the JPG/graphic file as an overlay which can be sized and rotated to fit exactly over the land area then saved as a KMZ-file (a few other apps can do so as well). The map transparency can also be adjusted to see satellite-view features behind it.

Once you have the KMZ-file, you can use it in a KMZ mapping app like Google Earth, Locus Free, etc so a DG player w/ a smartphone can see where they are on the course. A QR-code at hole-1 also allows download of the map at the course. At this point, the GPS of any smartphone is good enuf to guide you thru the course. The course regulars see no use for this but a great option to promote the course among newbies & traveling players.

Since you have a few good to-scale maps, you should try GPS-enabling them to extend the usefulness. Actually, anyone w/ such maps can do the same. I have done this w/ maps I created & those created by others especially for those I'm playing the 1st time.

GIS mapping

This is fascinating! I am currently starting a project for the mounds in oak ridge tn. I am a beginning student with arcmap 10.4 . How did you convert to terrain, with lidar? what sites did you use for data? my email is [email protected]. I would love to hear back from you with any suggestions or pointers you have data etc.., such as things you would have done differently with the project in hindsight