• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marbling agents

30dustin.jpg

Shaving cream background.

It was mentioned earlier, this method doesn't like the clear stuff, Z or champ. My best results are on Star, ESP, and MVP Ions.

you've not had good results on champs? I've got a clear champ Spider that is looking for a stained glass effect. some of it could use the SC marbling, but I'd hate to trash it if it won't turn out well.

Idk about a clear disc... Snogle posted a Z crush here recently that looked good and here is another Z disc. It works just not that well.

stalkerDSC_6357.jpg

Funny thing, I lost this one this summer and got a call this weekend, "I found one UGLY disc with your name an number on it". Cracked me up and I knew exactly which disc he was talking about. It isn't the prettiest of discs is it...

Funny thing, I lost this one this summer and got a call this weekend, "I found one UGLY disc with your name an number on it". Cracked me up and I knew exactly which disc he was talking about. It isn't the prettiest of discs is it...

It's a Stalker, so it's gorgeous to me :thmbup:

I'm still new at this technique but my third disc came out really nicely once I thickened the dye a bit and let it sit longer. Curious thing happened this time, though. Star Gator with a blue metallic stamp, and when I rinsed the disc nearly all of the blue had been removed, leaving the silver base intact. I actually was very happy with that, and tried to remove the leftover bits of blue without success (took off all of it in those two spots, alcohol applied with a q-tip). Anyone else have this happen?

Mentioned awhile back that I've added a twist. I thought about using it on a contest disc so I waited to post it. Instead of leaving the disc on the shaving cream in the plate I pressed this one firmly into the SC then yanked it out and flipped the disc over. Blended the swirls quite a bit giving a nice effect.
After a couple other tests I've found that if you don't press firmly and just pull it out it doesn't affect the marbling too much.
One upside is it frees up my favorite marbling plate when I'm working on more than one disc.
One downside, you almost always get some dye on the bottom of the disc.

flipmarblesDSC_9284.jpg

The results
TWsDSC_9296.jpg

Dan, is there a secret to getting the thin distinct lines of color without a lot of blending? Seems that when I try that, they just blend into a blob of one color.

Yes, please do tell the secret to defined, destinct swirls with the sc technique....please and thank you again for sharing as much as you already have!

There are no secrets, just add dye to SC, swirl, and stick in the disc. It is easy to overswirl your dye bed. SC is cheap and I always end up making too much of the SC/dye mix, so if I have any question about the dye bed I just swirled I'll dump it an do it again. As a matter of fact early on I would just make up some dye and SC and play with it without a disc to stick in it, like I said, it's cheap! Make sure you don't make your SC bed to thin or the disc will slowly sink blending everything.

Not EXACTLY what I wanted, but this will suffice. The ultra pearl is hard to catch with my camera. The pearl worked with the marbling as I expected. A little too bold on the red. Blue came out fine. A little too much smearing on my part. Both colors are iDye Poly. Sat in the 'cream for about two hours. This is the background for an image in black going over it.

PB202005.jpg

PB202006.jpg

GL River.

Oohhhhkay.

So I had this idea for a different 'marbling' medium. This is my first test run, and is only intended to be such:

PB202011.jpg

Now really what I have done here is transfer a pattern from a fabric, to the disc. I used a cheap $1 piece of felt with a raised snake skin pattern from Walmart. Jo Annes has other fabrics (probably better than felt) with a ton of raised patterns, some really cool ones. This is where I got the idea. Just from walking by these raised patterned fabrics, it dawned on me: I bet that will transfer.

What I did was soak the fabric in the dye, then layed it onto the disc that is raised up... hoping it would lay complete and all around the curved edge. In hind sight, I see I could have maybe used a light weight over the top. Here is the felt:

PB202010.jpg

This should evolve. DO IT!

Really cool. Will certainly lead to some interesting check-out lane conversations.