• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marbling agents

Dan Howard

Double Eagle Member
Anybody ever try marbling with shaving cream or methocel? Did this one last night but many details need worked out.

marblingDSC_6330.jpg

Looks pretty insane! Give us some more details on this method?

Last edited:
Both agents allow the dye to sit on top. I used a dinner plate bigger than the disc. Put enough of the Methocel sol'n in it to float a disc (~2cups). Then laid out lines of different color dye on top, swirled with a pencil tip, laid the disc in an let it sit O/N (neither will stand heat above ~90 F). Like I said, still many details to work out but there may be some potential here. If I get time I'll try again tonight and take pics of the process.

Wow, that's like one of those paintings by that artist that paints flowers that look suspiciously like vaginas.

Looks magnificent, and worthy of a few attempts!
But first....
What the hell is Methocel?
And how did you get two cups of it on a dinner plate?
And how did you heat it up, since you mentioned 90 degrees?

I looked up Methocel...I don't have any laying around the house(who would?) and it looks expensive.

methocel = methyl cellulose is a food grade thickener that may be able to be purchased in bulk cheaper but I get mine at Dharma Trading Co. It is used by fabric designers in marbling fabrics, thats why I happen to have some around the house. Bennett your right to ask about heating it, in powder form it's probably more explosive than grain dust and must be handled very carefully. But once in solution it is a completely safe and non toxic, can be disposed of down the drain. Dharma sells it for around $2.00 an ounce, I used 11gms to 4 cups of water, so it is kinda high, especially since its a one time use item.

I really have high hopes for the shaving cream, cheap, available everywhere, and my wife won't ask any questions! I'm gonna try it tonight.

Wow, this is why I got out of bed this morning. I suddenly feel like a kid that just got a new weapon in his favorite video game. Thank you , DYE MASTER Dan Howard.

Thx Moon, that means alot. I've gotten so much info here, a guy just wants to add to the knowledge base!

The shaving cream test disc is in the dye now and looks promising, here's what i did.

Shaving cream!
shavingcream.jpg

Smoothed it with a ruler
smooth.jpg

I drew the lines with some big syringes that I got with a printer ink refill kit.
drawingthelines.jpg

Swirled with a chopstick
swirl.jpg

and set the disc in
setthedisc.jpg

I'm gonna pull it after 4 or 5 hours and will post the results.

So are you putting the dye under the shaving cream with the syringes or just on top of it

I feel ya, Moon -- this is refreshing. Great stuff Dan Howard, and thanks for sharing!

here is what i got
stalkerDSC_6357.jpg

this one I did a few minutes after the first, mixed the dye with some runny shaving cream so it would not run as much.
flxbuzz.jpg

not sure if it was the shaving cream or the plastic, in my hands that flx feels a lot like the star, but i like the second better. I'm disappointed in that stalker and hope the ones I leave in overnight have better color.

Wish I had more plastic to play around with but the only clean discs left in my bag are DX :eek:

Latest posts