• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marbling agents

Results from last night

blueflashDSC_6389.jpg

flxbuzzzDSC_6380.jpg

yellowflashDSC_6405.jpg

buzzzDSC_6375.jpg

disappointed but cautiously optimistic. Sure wish I had some star plastic laying around, maybe I can find time to get to DGW today.

KingWillie that's a good link, their Advanced Marbling Base (M112) is Methocel. Here is another good one, examples of what people are doing on fabric http://www.dharmatrading.com/cgi-bin/featuredartists.cgi?mode=search&category=Marbling

Did some scroungin' and came up with a few more discs this morning before work.

startlDSC_6412.jpg

greennukeDSC_6415.jpg

bluenukeDSC_6418.jpg

I'm much happier with these, something about that Discraft Z plastic doesn't seem to work to well with this method. So there seems to me to be some potential here, I'm looking forward to seeing what people will come up with!

I would think Elite X and Star would be the best canvases.
Used to this for marbleizing paper. Works beautifully on the throwing plastic, though!

Last one here, only cause its a little funny.
challengerDSC_6426.jpg

Like I said, i'm scrounging for plastic right now and found this one in the yard. First putter I paid for but quit using it after a short while, something about putting with that flx plastic didn't work for me. It appears that some significant exposure time to the sun will really alter the way the plastic dyes, only the part under the removed stamp took the dye as it normally would. Kind of a cool effect though.

Anyway, thanks for all the love, its been a fun project to work thru. Hopefully I'll have something worthy of the Dye a Day page soon!

All of these are worthy of the Dye a Day page! Great stuff bro, I might just try the shaving cream out tonight if I can find the time!

What are you using in your dye mix? Is it just liquid dye, or do you use any alcohol, acetone, etc?

Thx Bennett I'm using liquid dye only, mixed as recommended here somewhere, 1 pak of dye to 32oz water.

Dan, do you think the shaving cream would hold up if you were to mix in the dye? Just wondering if different colors of shaving cream would do the same thing.

Moon, that's how I'm doing it now, keeps the dye from running all over.
This tutorial http://www.theindigoonion.com/swirldying1.htm shows the consistencies to shoot for in the dyes but I am liking a thicker base than what they show.

LoPan only the very first one (on page 1) was done with Methocel the rest were done with shaving cream.

Thx LoPan One comment after tonite's adventure is that bubbles are gonna be a b*tch. Too thick and you get lots of bubbles, too thin and the design washes away when you set the disc

Love it Dan. I look forward to seeing more. I know how it goes when you get through all your die-able plastic, but keep it up as best you can!

I did sneak into KC yesterday and picked up a couple discs, unfortunately I'm working all weekend. I got the disc dyeing blues!

I'm a gonna raise a fuss
I'm a gonna raise a holler

about a workin' all winter
just to try to earn a dollar

ev'ry time I get my dyes out

and get them on the plate

my Boss says
No dice, Son,you gotta work late

Latest posts