• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marking the Basket

My basket marking idea

If, and it's a big if, I EVER get an ace, my plan is to attach a set of those big hanging balls I see on 18 wheelers all the time with some steel cable, and initial and date them. Then they will be hanging around for all to see.

But since I'm a lazy f'er, and think that would kind of de-face the basket I guess I'll just note the ace on my disc and this site. But the big balls would be funny ****!

I have never got an ace so I never got mixed up in this crazy world where people write their name on disc golf equipment after they ace a hole. Wouldn't that be hilarious if people did that on ball golf courses after they got a hole in one? Signing the pin or something like that.

I have never got an ace so I never got mixed up in this crazy world where people write their name on disc golf equipment after they ace a hole. Wouldn't that be hilarious if people did that on ball golf courses after they got a hole in one? Signing the pin or something like that.

Some local papers will print the hole in one on a local course in their sports section, seen this alot. Maybe they should do that with disc golf aces?

If, and it's a big if, I EVER get an ace, my plan is to attach a set of those big hanging balls I see on 18 wheelers all the time with some steel cable, and initial and date them. Then they will be hanging around for all to see.

But since I'm a lazy f'er, and think that would kind of de-face the basket I guess I'll just note the ace on my disc and this site. But the big balls would be funny ****!

You should hang a set of those chorme balls from you disc bag.

But if I hanged balls from my bag I would be in big trouble if I ever got good at this. Imagine having 5 or 6 of them hanging from a bag and trying to climb up hills. I guess it would be a good workout. I still like the odea of them hanging from a basket. The pictures of peoples' faces would be priceless.

I've seen marking on the basket on a few courses here in the Charlotte area, most prevelently at Mint Hill Park. The really dumb thing is that e.g."Brandon Suchandsuch ACE 2/20/09" usually is accompanied by "<----is a dip sh__" or "<---------is gay".

There is a park in the area, Elon Park DGC, which has created an ACE BOARD. The ACE BOARD is a small piece of plywood, painted white and nailed to a tree, so that you may write your name, hole number and date if you wish to leave your mark on the course after an ace. This seemed necessary, as this is a very short course.

But, IMO, Ace tagging on a basket isn't as irritating as the ordinary graffiti that goes on in the area. At Kilborne Park it seems that every bench(located on just about every tee) has been tagged. A couple holes have picnic tables at the tees, which is graced by all sorts of derogatory things, stuff about smoking pot(nothing against indulging, but no need to make it public), drawings of male anatomy, and the most prevelant phrase on the course, "eat more pv$$%".

Its just a shame that because of some dumb behavior on the part of others I feel bad about introducing new players to this type of environment and don't want them to get the wrong idea about what disc golf is all about. Children are especially vulnerable, and I know a couple families who do not frequent certain courses strictly because of the "tagging" that has gone on. There's only so much you can clean up before the problem gets out of control. But you do what you can and keep trying to enjoy the game, overlooking the blemishes.

You are right about Kilborne. I played it last time I was in Charlotte, and it seems a little trashy in that respect. It's a shame becasue I really liked the course as a whole. I also had a couple shadey looking neighborhood kids cruising the fairways on their bikes. I'm sure we'll all get to read about their 'conquests' on the tables and benches as they age.

Kilborne is a very good course, in a neighborhood going slightly downhill, but I've never had a problem over there. The last "incident" I am aware of that occured there was a lone disc golfer got jumped by some teens, who were trying to impress a girl they were with. Sad, really. But there is much worse in the area.

But overall, Kilborne is a nice course, needing a variety of shots to shoot well...and its quite fun to play, so the trashy graffiti is actually pretty harmless kids "leaving their marks" on the course. The course doesn't have belts around the top of the baskets, but still have seen minor tagging of the nickle plates on top, not sure if its for an ace or what. But with the cost of baskets, it really eats at me that someone would deface the target.

I don't think they do it around here.. or at least I haven't noticed it on the Rochester/Buffalo courses I play at. It is definitely vandalism no matter how you slice it. You don't see ball golfers signing the pin flag after they get a hole in one.. they do usually save the ball though which is fine. Save the disc, date it, hang it on your wall but leave the basket out of it.

There were some signatures at Ellison this summer. I think most of them were covered by Huklab stickers though...*sigh*

\/\/

Cheesy, self indulgent, self important, childish behavior. No one outside of your small cirlce of friends really cares. When (if) I ever record my first ace you will hear my yelp of joy for 100 miles. I'll mark my disc and for for the next few weeks you won't be able to beat the smile off my face. The only other thing I'll mark up is this site.

Last edited:
I think that if I ever design tee signs for a course, I'm going to leave an area for Aces to be recorded on the tee sign. I think it's cool to see who all has aced a hole before I play it. Hopefully someday I will join the ace club!

As far as inscribing the basket...I can't see that before I tee off on the hole! :)

I don't know, I'm kinda torn. I think it's neat to see who has aced a hole - especially since Winter Park is so difficult. However I think it should be done with some class - no stupid extra junk, just name and date. The yellow bands on my DISCatchers seem to beg to be written on. Personally I think that's better than idiots who put stickers on them (because those peel off the powdercoating when they are removed).

Aside from marking aces which I think is slightly okay (but do concede it is more grafitti than anything else and can get out of control), I had some idiot write on the yellow bands "Idiot (not his real name) lost one disc this side <--- and one disc on that side --->". That really pissed me off, so I can understand the anger with someone marking an ace on your new baskets.

In my part of town, it is considered damage to govt property, and if caught, you will be prosecuted.

......is vandalism, plain and simple..what is there not to understand about this? "tagging" and graffitti may look "cool" to some, but to most it is an eyesore and punishable by fines/jail time! think about that next time you want to desecrate a basket.

I see nothing wrong with a date and name on a basket. it's fun to see what holes people have aced. it's not as though it is real vandalism. vandalism involves damaging property. it's like when someone does some spray can stuff at a skate park. as long as it is in good taste, it is simply expression.

I see nothing wrong with a date and name on a basket. it's fun to see what holes people have aced. it's not as though it is real vandalism. vandalism involves damaging property. it's like when someone does some spray can stuff at a skate park. as long as it is in good taste, it is simply expression.

real vandalism? you are a funny guy.."expression" as you put it, is illegal..so run right out and tag someone else's baskets and hopefully you are prosecuted.. :D

If I get an ace I'm shouting for joy...maybe swearing. Taking pictures with the disc at the basket, maybe signing some stuff, probably uploading some pictures...but I'm not marking the parks property.

\/\/

real vandalism? you are a funny guy.."expression" as you put it, is illegal..so run right out and tag someone else's baskets and hopefully you are prosecuted.. :D

come now it's all of this, the law is black and white crap, i don't like in the first place. as long as someone isn't destroying the basket, who cares? do you think the guys who tagged burnside in portland should be arrested? at some point we have to stop being so anal, we're putting up metal baskets in the woods! i know some treehuggers that hate the courses put in around my area, they think all the baskets are an eyesore. and i've heard the same thing said about baskets in public parks. so if the problem is that it looks bad then it's kind of a silly argument.

trashmonster,
I am a taxpayer, as well as a disc golfer.
I have money invested (tax $$) in the parks, therefore the baskets, signage, amenities, etc.
As far as "expression" is concerned by marking a basket, it is illegal, period.
I consider it a slap in the face when someone vandals ANY part of the park(s) that my family, friends, fellow taxpayers frequent.

All said, DO NOT