• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marking Your Territory

JConnell

Bogey Member
The different ways in which people mark their discs has always interested me.

Name and phone number aside, do any of you include other information on your discs? How about special markings or drawings?

I'm not that artistic :)

But I love that Obama disc...where can I get one?

PDGA number has proven quite useful in our mission to recover lost discs from water at the LINKS since TX States. With the portability of cell phone numbers, i.e. area codes all over the place, sometimes its much easier to look up a PDGA number on the website to find out if a player is local or not.

That posted list hasn't been updated in a while, the current recovered count is somewhere between 250-300.

The best I ever saw was a guy who had "Instant Karma" with his number written on the back of his discs. If its a disc I really like, I put "Reward if found" as well as my name and number. I have lost 5 discs and I have gotten one back.

I usually put the dgcoursereview.com on there along with my name/#

Bottom:
Name
Number
Disc Specs ex: (4,3,-4,1)

Top:
Initials

Last edited:
I used to know a guy who was a jerk. He would find a disc with a name on it and write "Is Gay" under the name than then put the disc back on the ground and walk away.

If its a disc that I really like I write "Reward if found" and that sometimes works.

Sadly, I have not started marking my discs, but if I am going to play in a tourney some day, iguess I will have to get in the game. Is name and phone enough? Is there an advantage to adding a little something extra?

Bah, I just thought of something else. Sorry for the extra post. Has anyone thought about getting a rubber stamp made with their info and use permanent ink and mark their discs that way? The lettering would need to be fairly thick to be real legible. You might even be able to make a nice border or even a picture mixed in it. Hmmm, I might have to look into this. It sure would be easy to mark all your discs quickly and if it rubs off.....you get the idea. ;)

Top Markings

Marking your discs on the top is a lesson I learned the hard way...

I was playing at Texas States back in April, my card was up to hole #8 on the Valley Classic course. It's a long bomber hole just to get to the water you have to cross on your second shot. So I pulled out my red Star TeeRex and chucked a pretty good drive out there. Steven, another guy on my card, also had a nice drive. I failed to notice that he also threw a red Star TeeRex.

After everyone tees off we walked up the fairway and I saw the first red TeeRex, assumed it was mine, marked it, bagged it, saw another red disc about 40' ahead, commented to Steven on a nice drive (I think I may have even said "Is that you up there? Wow, nice drive."), all the while thinking about crossing the water on my next shot. After I easily crossed the water with my now trusty Firebird we walked up to the other red disc, Steven picks it up and says "Uhhh, this isn't my TeeRex".

Turns out I played from the wrong disc which is a two stroke penalty. I still made a four otherwise which I was pleased with.

So after the round Steven added up the scores and got +10 for me. Now when I'm double checking it's in my head that I had a 2 stroke penalty on #8 so when I get to that '6' I still add it as +2... so I get +10 instead of the +11 I should have. Later I found out that I got another +2 penalty for incorrect scorecard total. Four friggin' penalty strokes effectively from one hole.

So the moral of the story is to mark the top of your discs (I use my signature) so it's obvious walking up to it that it's your disc.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ericjubin/TXStatesChampionshipsXIII/photo#5186347139790305906

I draw the most random pictures I can think of, and mark all over the bottom of the disc with sharpies. That way, if i ever see someone with a disc of mine, or if any of my friends ever see them, they will immediately know that it's mine. The chances of that are slim, but you never know. I also write all the contact information I can think of on them. email, phone, address, name, social. ok so maybe not my social . . .

Name and number on the bottom. On top I trace a circle with a sharpie and fill it in. It gives me a big black dot on top. Its unmistakable.

I put my name, number and dgcoursereview.com on the bottom of mine.

A couple things here, and I just had this discussion on the course yesterday.

Top markings a MUST for two reasons:
1. Identification for not only in the field of play, but also pulling them out of your bag. A bunch of orange discs in your bag and you grab your mid by mistake over your long distance driver. So on my discs I use a wide tip sharpie and make a pie like/arrow shape on my drivers, a cross X across the disc for my mids, and I use spirals sometimes for special discs and putters.
2. Seeing the spin of the disc in mid air. Especially helpful for me as I am still a newb(only in time played) and am trying to determine how much spin is on an in flight disc.

On the underside I ALWAYS put my name and number. Have found discs and have seen similar and called and returned the disc. Wish others would extend that courtesy as well. At least one attempt at calling.

Was playing last week when a kid saw one of my marked mids fly through the air with the "cross" on it. He comes over and asks if I always mark my discs with a big X. I say yeah, my mids I do why?
"Well" he says, "my friend found one last week on hole 3 with a big X on it and it looked just like the one you threw".
"Was it a red Innova, star plastic?"
"Yeah, thats it," he says.
"Hmmm," I say, "that's funny cause my number is CLEARLY marked on the bottom of that disc with my name."
...a few silent moments, some feet shuffling for him..."um...yeah..um..I will have my friend call you."
Nadda for over a week.

Last edited:
I used to mark them with my name and telephone number but I never got called when someone found one. They would just keep them anyway. I know this becuase I would eventually find out my discs were in other guys bags every now and then. Eventually I just decided that if I lost one I would probably never get it back so I just started marking them with my pdga number.

The only exception to that was my putter when I was an AM. I used to write all the things I should think about when putting on the top of the disc and then if I wasn't putting well I would review it before the putt. It worked pretty well.

I resolved an appropriated disc issue a few weeks ago. My Roadrunner fails to fade and ends up right,in the adjacent fairway, right on the edge actually. A guy playing that hole is walking up the fairway. I can see him, so he can see me. He's hand carrying a couple discs, no bag. As he passes the area where my disc landed he stoops down and picks it up. I keep walking towards him. Now my disc is in his hand under two discs, like an ace on the botttom of the deck. When I get up to him, I pull 3 discs out of my bag and fan them out...all carrying my distinctive black dot (its about a 3 inch circle). He looks a little sheepish. Without a word he tosses my disc back towards where he "Found" it. End of discussion.