• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Massive thread containing every possible 3-disc combination for your review

tlandegent

Hey all,

I'm definitely an amateur in disc, so I've been experimenting with different discs, weights, and working on my throws.
I'd like to learn 3 discs really well (for cost's sake) - a distance, midrange, and putter
I'd also like to do basic throws with this selection (I'm leaving out tomahawks, rollers, thumbers, etc)

Here's my current lineup:
174 Avenger
170 Polecat
156 Wolf

With my Avenger, I'm currently throwing 250 accurately, maxing at 320 or so.
I'm still learning the Wolf, I've not thrown a midrange before
My Polecat, though heavy, throws very straight.

My big question is if I should be using lighter/heavier weights for my discs or if I should scrap any in this lineup?

Again, I'm more or less a beginner on a limited budget. I'm looking forward to your input!

besides the avenger those look like great discs to learn on. but i hate the avenger. 320ft with an avenger is really good d for beginner. any chance u throw forehand? if so try out an avenger ss or something else understable like a valk to help u learn driving backhand. if u really can throw that avenger 320 backhand then keep ur current line-up. but it still wont hurt to add something understable to learn how to throw right hooking drives.

I would find a heavier mid-range. When most people pull out a mid-range, they pull it out for accuracy, and a 156 disc is not going to be accurate in any sort of wind. I'd grab a heavier mid-range if you just want to stick with 3 discs you can use all of the time.

If you like your wolf, you might have good luck with a shark, and I definitely agree with Ryan that a heavier midrange works best for most people. If you get a new driver, I would say go a little lighter if you are a backhand thrower, something like a mid 160s valk might serve you well. As far as putters go, if what you have is working stick with it, if not see if you can try out people's putters and find the one that works for you. The most popular are the aviar, the magnet, and the wizard, any of those can be a great putter for you.

Excellent feedback, all...

I had played 2 discs for a while (driver, putter) but then found out about straight-flying mids. Great advice about a heavier mid.
As for the driver... I've been working hard on my power grip RHBH even thought I always threw exclusively RHFH for the longest time. I'm humble enough to admit that the 170s sometimes feel too heavy for me, and it is evidenced when I sometimes throw my 150g Beast further than my Avenger (though not near as accurate). I don't have either a mid or a driver in the 160s. Maybe it's time for my first valk. Would that be a good alternative driver to have (say if I convince myself to carry 4 instead of 3)?

RockBuddist, when you talked about right hooking understable drivers, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you referring to a good distance disc that you can throw Anhyzer with good results? If I'm wrong, let me know. :)

Lastly, some of you referred to my throw style FH or BH. I'm getting the vibe that a heavier disc isn't all that bad if you can get good FH distance... so is a slightly lighter BH a better choice for beginners?

Thanks so much!

Even for more experienced players, many people find they have more control and can get more spin on a little bit lighter disc, because they don't have to put as much muscle into getting the disc up to speed.

On the other hand, if it stays fairly windy in your area, you don't want to go too light. Definitely second the heavier midrange advice, I love skeeters and buzzz's. If you like the Polecat, by all means keep throwing it. You might find a Teebird or TL will give you more accuracy w/o sacrificing any D.

I love my rocs and midrange heavy, like 180 heavy....but I have drivers from 175 down to 150. If there is no wind or a tailwind nothing beats light drivers. They sail for days.

And I say this everyday....TeeBird or TL.

RockBuddist, when you talked about right hooking understable drivers, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you referring to a good distance disc that you can throw Anhyzer with good results? If I'm wrong, let me know. :)

yea. but also keep in mind that with the avenger it is hard to finish off a drive to the right(for a RHBH throw). so if u play a hole with a strait fairway with the basket to the right at the end of the fairway, thats 1 stroke per those types of holes that u could save right there just by adding another disc.

rock,

Would you still suggest I get another understable driver when I can throw both FH and BH with the Avenger and get decent results?

Edit: Thank you everyone for the great feedback!

Last edited:
If you're only going with three discs you have to choose them carefully. Most discs out there are specailty discs and won't be useful enough on enough different lines to be considered, especally for someone new to the game. The discs I'll recommend will start off on the overstable side but beat in to be very easy to control and very predictable.

I'd scrap them all and go:

D Cyclone
DX Roc
Medium S Wizard or D Challenger

The Avenger is too fast for someone who's throwing as far as you and not nearly as good at differnt lines as the Cyclone. The Wolf and Polecat are kid of flippy and crappy so while they might work now, you'll grow out of them quickly and find them useless in most wind situations.

To be honest, I'd actually recommend a fourth disc, a very overstable one. A Champ Banshee would be a good choice. It will work for all spike hyzer and most headwind situations.

rock,

Would you still suggest I get another understable driver when I can throw both FH and BH with the Avenger and get decent results?

Edit: Thank you everyone for the great feedback!

personally i think u a newer player should 4 or 5 discs to learn the basic shots. but everyone is different.

an overstable driver(which u have)
an understable driver(which u dont)
a controlable mid that can be throw on any line(which u do)
a putter(which u do)
and than a wacky get outta trouble disc or touch disc. something weird.(optional)

even tho u can get both left and right hooking drives by switching from bh to fh, the day is gonna come where u want more control and D. aka switching to backhand like alot of players do and just useing forehand for trouble shots. i wish i started playing backhand from day one. even tho it might take down ur scores for a while, the reward in the end is so much greater.

so basically do i not only suggest getting an understable driver, but also use the understable driver to somewhat replace ur forehand. because it the end ur probably gonna be ending up doing that anyways. u dont have to totally give up on ur forehand, just slowly work in some bh anhyzer drives.

As an almost newbie, I'd suggest using your Leopard and putter, and adding a Cobra or Stingray. Both are super easy to control mid ranges that will not punish you for crappy throws. They're also perfect for learning really straight throws and for practicing anhyzers. I got most of my longest straightes drives from the Cobra as a newb and I still love the Stingray for right turns of any kind.

yea. but also keep in mind that with the avenger it is hard to finish off a drive to the right(for a RHBH throw). so if u play a hole with a strait fairway with the basket to the right at the end of the fairway, thats 1 stroke per those types of holes that u could save right there just by adding another disc.

not exactly. He said he throws forehand a lot too, that is right hooking.

even tho u can get both left and right hooking drives by switching from bh to fh, the day is gonna come where u want more control and D. aka switching to backhand like alot of players do and just useing forehand for trouble shots.

sorry missed that. I see some dislike for forehand here. It is not proven that you get more control out of backhand than forehand. People don't throw forehand, so it's assumed backhand has more control. I personally have far more control over my forehand, and distance. It's all about the person.

Last edited:
sorry missed that. I see some dislike for forehand here. It is not proven that you get more control out of backhand than forehand. People don't throw forehand, so it's assumed backhand has more control. I personally have far more control over my forehand, and distance. It's all about the person.

i dont dislike forehand. i used to throw it all the time and i got my first ace with it. its just that u dont see too many ppl throwing 500ft bombs or winning big tournies who throw forehand as their primary shot.

i just have had mutuplie cases occur where i introuce friends to disc golf and they start throwing forehand. then after their drives start maxing out and they start turning every other shot over, they lose intrest and go from a daily player to a weekly player to a monthly player, ect. thats y i urge new players to start out backhand even tho it can be a rough start.

i dont dislike forehand. i used to throw it all the time and i got my first ace with it. its just that u dont see too many ppl throwing 500ft bombs or winning big tournies who throw forehand as their primary shot.

i just have had mutuplie cases occur where i introuce friends to disc golf and they start throwing forehand. then after their drives start maxing out and they start turning every other shot over, they lose intrest and go from a daily player to a weekly player to a monthly player, ect. thats y i urge new players to start out backhand even tho it can be a rough start.

I see where you are coming from here. From what I've found the Backhand takes longer to learn, but the learning curve is gradual. Forehand is easy to learn quickly, but it stalls out at a certain point. It then takes a lot longer to reach more distance and control past that, but it's well worth it :)

I say don't give up on forehand for backhand. Keep throwing your forehand, but also learn backhand. Even if you can't bomb either one 400+ feet, being able to throw both ways will give you a massive advantage. When the backhanders are trying to anhyzer a disc around a tight corner, you can just send a flick skipping around. Then you can walk up to a left dogleg and park it next to the basket with your backhand.

I would recommend the Surge from discraft, ESP FLX SS is great but it doesn't have to be that. A Beast or Wraith would work well too.

You need a "workable" fairway driver. I highly reccomend a Champion Leopard. Stay away from the lighter weights and the DX plastic as they tend to get flippy pretty fast as your form improves. If you go with a max weight Champ it will always have a place in your bag even after you become an advanced player.

I learned my RHBH throws with a beast and in no time I was flipping that thing so I moved to an ESP Avenger. So my suggestion would probably be to start with a more understable driver to learn the technique and then you can really reach back and destroy long courses with the avenger.

I would go with either a comet, buzz or roc as a midrange

Putter is really whatever feels good in your hand so it's hard to make suggestions for that. I've used quite a few putters from a magnet, aviar, zone, x puttr, rubber putter and I've ended up using a putter that i think almost no one uses which is the Innova XD. so really it just depends on what feels good with your grip