• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Max Distance Needed To Be 1000 Rated?

How Far Do You Have To Throw To Be 1000 Rated?

• Total voters
Sexton can def. throw 500+, and fairly accurately. He used to have a weaker backhand. Then he went touring with Paul in the camper and played with him everyday, and he improved a ton. I've watched him park (wide open) 505' field shots at a McBeast Challenge on a hyzer line, and go sailing past that too. He's said on video several times recently that he has more distance than people generally give him credit for, and I think that's related to his playstyle. He CAN throw that far, but if it doesn't score for him, he makes the safer/smarter play.

It's interesting the effect that playing with a specific person all the time can have on one's game. I've heard McBeth and Drew Gibson practice together now, and it's unsurprising Drew is having a good season. I also recall a round where Paul took a strange line Drew took, and it didn't work out for him.

It's interesting the effect that playing with a specific person all the time can have on one's game. I've heard McBeth and Drew Gibson practice together now, and it's unsurprising Drew is having a good season. I also recall a round where Paul took a strange line Drew took, and it didn't work out for him.

I don't know how much of that is related to practicing with Paul though. Drew has pretty much always had stupid levels of power. I took a driving clinic from him last year when he was still with DD, and his distance seemed the same as what everybody's seeing now. What does seem to be improved this year is his short game. He admitted last year his putting wasn't great. I don't know if he just found an Innova putter he clicked with more than the DD Marshal he was using, but it seems like he's more frequently cashing those edge-of-the-circle putts this year.

We were both at the 2014 USADGC. I actually only had 330' of power at the time and i remember going through that course and realizing that I could only physically reach a handful of holes on that monster layout. You on the other hand shot -9 54 for the second best round in the field.

In Charlotte most courses don't require 400' shots, but power to let you throw slower discs still matters.

Exactly my point and a perfect course. I birdied every one I could. And that course yes I threw some 600 ft drives. Off mountains. You can't use a ski slope course as a reference. There were 6 holes I knew I could not reach give or take. Played for par. For example 4, I couldnt throw much past the bank of trees on the left. Threw to them and laid up to take a 3. No way I could ever birdie that hole.

If you look at this years masters championship there is not a single 50+ guy that is 1000+ and there are a bunch in that field that are excellent putters and accurate (just to reinforce the point about distance). Moser can still throw over 400' in the air but you're right not super long. He can still throw a roller a mile though.

Moser cannot throw 400' in the air, I'm sorry to say. He tops out at about 350-360'. I've played on cards with him on multiple occasions, and he never even got in the circle on several wide open 400' holes. He's an excellent player, and I'm not knocking his skill set, but a 400' drive in the air is not part of his repertoire.

Distance is already the single most important skill to throwing higher rated rounds. Your posts about how there are other skills needed to be a 1000 rated player are meaningless. No one is debating that but it has nothing to do with the question at all. The question is how far do you need to throw and the answer is you have to throw far or else all the other skills will not get you there.

Are there 960 rated guys who throw 450 feet? Of course. Are there 1000 rated guys who throw 350 max? No. They don't exist. If you don't meet the minimum distance threshold you will never be 1000 rated.

Moser is rated 1010, maxes around 350'.

Don't know if it factors in but saw the other day that the first 1100 rated round was shot at the Blockhouse's Darkside course. I know that you aren't throwing anything 400' on that course.

400' accurately is plenty IMO, even on most longer-ish courses.

Doesn't matter if you throw 500' if you can't make the 25' putt.

One of my regular partners has hit a basket in the air at 500'. He can throw bombs.

He has played quite a few tournaments with Sexton and he said that for sure, Nate will out BH drive him by 50'.

I believe that he is a golfer with the knowledge that throwing low 60's mph backhands are much more accurate and the #'s on CCDG coverage seem to back that up. If you're going to throw high 60's to mid 70s, you're going to have to throw OS drivers and deal with the potential for misfiring and really hyzering out early or missing your line because you're throwing at 95+ full power.

Throwing his destroyers 61-65mph keeps him with tons of consistent and accurate power.

Latest posts