• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Max roller length

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Sorry, didn't search to see if there was already a thread, so excuse the possible redundancy. (a search thread title option would be useful :thmbup:)

Was doing some field work today on a soccer field, and my longest throws were 146 Leopard rollers, which were well over 300 feet, which I can't reach in the air ... yet.

Half that distance was rolling - so do power players turn it over about 200' and roll it another 200? Or more?

Just curious, because it seems that less effort = greater distance when you roll it. Accuracy is another matter....

Were you intentionally rolling your Leopard? Thrown correctly, rollers can/will roll a LONG way. Definitely longer than 300ft.

Keep practicing and before you know it 300 will be easy distance, both through the air and on the ground! :thmbup:

For me I throw Leopards as well and depending on the line will throw them about 300' in the air before hitting the ground and rolling. I typically do not get more distance than with my air shots but rollers are very helpful and are a great shot to have in the bag. Keep up your practice and I'm sure you'll get even more out of them soon.

Last weekend I saw a guy throw some ~500'+ rollers at Hart Park in Bako. (Shark Tooth Open). Incredible!!!

I'd suggest a heavier, wider disc if you're interested in rollers. I personally love 180 gram DX Stingrays for long range rollers. The wider diameter and heavier weight help plow over the bumps and grass to get more distance.

I can get a roller around 350ft.

But this is my goal....

LOL! What a crazy wonderful pastime is disc golf! Any idea what that disc was?

I'd suggest a heavier, wider disc if you're interested in rollers. I personally love 180 gram DX Stingrays for long range rollers. The wider diameter and heavier weight help plow over the bumps and grass to get more distance.

I'll confess, they were botched hyzer attempts, but thrown hard ;).
I know a few holes where rollers would be practical - I've been curious about the Stingray, so thanks for the tip.

Click on "Advanced Search" in any of the search boxes and there you'll find an option to search only by thread title.

Here you go....
Keep working on it...
Practice, practice, practice....

· Roller Distance Record (non-turf): 3791.68 ft (1156m) by Randy Lahm, 4/01

· Roller Distance (turf): 693.045 ft (211.24 m), Christian Voigt (GER) 11/1/97, Malmö, SWE

That was a Roadrunner. Which is what I throw. One of my favorite discs.

Another disc I'd like to throw.

Do folks throw rollers with intention and accuracy? I usually throw them by accident, and sometimes the results are good, other times horribly wrong.

Seems like a useful skill to master.

Another disc I'd like to throw.

Do folks throw rollers with intention and accuracy? I usually throw them by accident, and sometimes the results are good, other times horribly wrong.

Seems like a useful skill to master.

They can be very accurate if you work on them. It is a very nice thing to be able to roll through woods or around a certain obstacle; a very underrated technique in my opinion. I've been having a lot of fun and lowering my scores by using all of the techniques available to me as a disc golfer, including rollers:clap: Learn it!

LOL! What a crazy wonderful pastime is disc golf! Any idea what that disc was?

Champion Roadrunner, he picks it up and shows the camera at the end (no I didn't watch the whole thing, skipped to see how it would end.)

I believe the longest roller in history was done with an Aviar.

And yes, rollers can be thrown with super accuracy and super distance. There is no further shot then a backhand roller.

You've got to have a lot of room because the disc will move from one side to the other. There are 2 basic ways to throw a backhand roller. 1) Unstable disc thrown pretty flat line drive where it will turn over quick and land and roll. These shots may turn right or left. 2) Stable disc thrown high anhyzer a little longer in the air and lands at a steeper angle (more upright) and can go pretty straight and resist the tendancy to turn towards its top. Practice both. I use a New 174g Champ Valkyrie more of the stable shot type. I try to land it right of my line, about 150-180 feet out and about at 75 to 80 degrees landing angle. It will roll to the left and will turn over only at the end of the roll.

You've got to have a lot of room because the disc will move from one side to the other. There are 2 basic ways to throw a backhand roller. 1) Unstable disc thrown pretty flat line drive where it will turn over quick and land and roll. These shots may turn right or left. 2) Stable disc thrown high anhyzer a little longer in the air and lands at a steeper angle (more upright) and can go pretty straight and resist the tendancy to turn towards its top. Practice both. I use a New 174g Champ Valkyrie more of the stable shot type. I try to land it right of my line, about 150-180 feet out and about at 75 to 80 degrees landing angle. It will roll to the left and will turn over only at the end of the roll.

Or you could just use your normal driver, in my case a nuke or surge, and yank it at the ground about 50 -75ft in front of you and watch it roll out on a straight line.

I don't get much side to side when I use this method.

Or you could just use your normal driver, in my case a nuke or surge, and yank it at the ground about 50 -75ft in front of you and watch it roll out on a straight line.

I don't get much side to side when I use this method.

I use that same technique. Beat ESP Nuke thrown hard and maybe no more then 100 feet off the pad and I get a laser beam roller.

I haven't thrown a roller in ages but when I did I used a beat to hell 177 cobra that used to run like hell. The problem was that it didn't always run when I wanted it to. I was never accurate with them but totally want to relearn them.

Latest posts