• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maximizing on Course Practice?

Mr. America

* Ace Member *
When I go out alone I rarely if ever keep score, or play for a score. I tend to carry my big bag loaded with discs and usually throw several discs from every tee, lie, and putt. Before anybody bitches, this is when the course is relatively empty and there is nobody anywhere near behind.

I feel like this is good for learning to make shots, lines on holes, etc. But I am wondering if I should play more for scores, trying to get a good score?

What should I be doing to try and get the most out of my "practice" rounds?

sounds fine. Maybe play a round every once in awhile where you keep score and only throw one disc each shot so you can gauge your improvement

When I go out alone I rarely if ever keep score, or play for a score. I tend to carry my big bag loaded with discs and usually throw several discs from every tee, lie, and putt. Before anybody bitches, this is when the course is relatively empty and there is nobody anywhere near behind.

I feel like this is good for learning to make shots, lines on holes, etc. But I am wondering if I should play more for scores, trying to get a good score?

What should I be doing to try and get the most out of my "practice" rounds?

I do similar, but I keep score with the first disc I throw from each position. Other things worth doing when practicing are playing every tee shot with "bread and butter discs" like a TL and/or a buzz. This will force you to learn new throws, to get more distance out of slower discs, to see new lines etc. The other thing you'll quickly realize is that your score isn't much worse using only your bread and butter discs. Putter rounds are a good idea too. You might also try some left handed throws, learn to throw forehand if you don't know already, overhand etc. Many of us can't throw overhand a whole round due to shoulder/elbow pain etc. But doing it 3-5 times during a round ensures you'll have at least the ability to make the shot when you need to.

You can also play solo games similar to group games. Like worst disc. Throw two from every position, but score (and play from) the worst one. That'll help you learn consistency.

I also like meeting up with as many people as I can. You can learn a lot seeing others play. New lines and ways to play a hole and if nothing else, you get a confidence boost when you realize you're better than most disc golfers out there, even if you aren't winning any tourneys!

Depends on your goals. If you just wanna learn to throw better, then no sweat, keep doing wat your doing. If you want to learn to put decent rounds together and score well, then you need to practice that part of it, too. Throwing great does not always translate directly to scoring better. You have to learn things like course management and mental control which, for me at least, take as much practice as technique does.

If you don't care about scoring, then no need to stress it. Entirely up to you and your goals.

I think that is a great way to learn. I remember playing behind Locastro at a course in Phoenix and he would do the same thing. Taking multiple shots will help you learn what works and does not. Like you mentioned, you do this on empty courses, if there are people behind you, then shame on you for making them wait.

Depends on your goals. If you just wanna learn to throw better, then no sweat, keep doing wat your doing. If you want to learn to put decent rounds together and score well, then you need to practice that part of it, too. Throwing great does not always translate directly to scoring better. You have to learn things like course management and mental control which, for me at least, take as much practice as technique does.

If you don't care about scoring, then no need to stress it. Entirely up to you and your goals.

Good point. I might play well on a certain hole, but my goal is to score well, then I need to string a bunch of well played holes together in order to get a good score and I will practice accordingly.

It's a matter of preference. Once I start throwing multiple shots on the course I find it really hard to stay focused and make each shot count. For two years I played solo practice rounds like that, bombing 3 or 4 shots on some holes.

For the last year I have been using all my solo time to work in the field. When I'm playing rounds, I'm playing with buddies who will keep me honest out on the course, and witness the glory of all my sweet shots. This approach has helped me become a better golfer, but I've also dedicated myself a lot more in the last year.

I do that a lot, too. I also rarely keep score and just as rarely play in tournaments FWIW. I find that it helps me gauge what I'm good at and what I need to work on, but it's difficult to get any real improvement in. I just don't get enough throws for any given shot to build any consistency. I also find you get more "bang for your buck" timewise. The ratio of time spent throwing to time spent not throwing is a lot higher and throwing is the fun part of playing for me.

I think a notebook would be beneficial also. Seems I have a hard time remembering when lines, discs, things work, and when they don't :D

I played a couple Sundays ago with a guy who kept a notebook and wrote notes about the course. He threw two from the blue tees and two from the whites, then took the best from each tee and played two from there, etc. Not a bad way to practice.

I just have to be careful that I also play a straight round if I want to score well; otherwise, I'm not sure I actually learned anything from my practice round.

I'm pretty new to this game and take a similar approach to "practice rounds"... if I'm out on my own and the course is empty I'll take the liberty of making multiple throws from the same spot to get a better feel for my different discs and see which discs perform best for different shots and distances for me. I will still keep score with my first disc (without mulligans) so I can track my progress and gauge any possible improvement.

I also often start or end the day by emptying my bag out into a field adjacent to the course and I've been trying to make mental notes on my throwing form and on which discs I'm getting the best distance and accuracy with and how the wind may effect their flights.

My local course is only 9 holes but with long & short tees. If I have time to get through all 18 I'm now trying to play all of the short 9 with just one disc and then using combinations of drivers/mids/putter for the long 9. This has been helping me become more familiar with all my discs (which are still rather new) so I can narrow my bag down to just my most reliable discs for future rounds against friends or other competitors.

Latest posts