• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maximum Legal Weight?

Maverick3324

Par Member
What is the maximum weight of a legal disc golf disc? In the PDGA Technical Standards documents I found a clause that reads

"(5) not exceed a maximum weight of 200 g;"

Does this mean I can use a 195g Condor anytime I want in any regular PDGA tourney?

I think it does. Most of the older discs have higher maximum weight allowances such as the Condor and Jaguar. Although you probably want someone with a little more knowledge of the subject to tell you for sure.

The max weight of a disc depends on the diameter of the disc. There is a certain proportion that the disc must meet. The bigger the diameter the havier it can be so a condor theoretically could be havier. If you look at the approved discs list, there is a column that has the max weight for each disc. The Condor lists a max weight of 200.03g.

max weights are limited by the diameter of a disc. for example a wraith has smaller diameter than a mako, the max weight for the wraith is 175g whereas the max weight for the mako is 180g. the reason the jaguar/condor/zepher have max weights to 200g is the massive diameter they have. modern molds are no where as large as the 3 mentioned above and even know they are still in production its doutful any future molds will be made that large.

This was pretty buried in the PDGA web site under competition manual in technical standards:

A disc shall:
(3) not be less than 21 cm in outside disc diameter, nor exceed 30 cm in outside disc diameter;
(4) not exceed 8.3 g per cm of outside disc diameter;
(5) not exceed a maximum weight of 200 g;

A 21.1 centimeter diameter disc (monst drivers) times 8.3 grams = 175.13 grams max allowable.
this is pretty close to 176 so I would weigh it with a good digital scale to get a good weight to the nearest 10th.
There is no minimum weight. I know a guy that loved 130 gram Aeros!!!!

What is the maximum weight of a legal disc golf disc? In the PDGA Technical Standards documents I found a clause that reads

"(5) not exceed a maximum weight of 200 g;"

Does this mean I can use a 195g Condor anytime I want in any regular PDGA tourney?

Is it under 200g?

max weights are limited by the diameter of a disc. for example a wraith has smaller diameter than a mako, the max weight for the wraith is 175g whereas the max weight for the mako is 180g. the reason the jaguar/condor/zepher have max weights to 200g is the massive diameter they have. modern molds are no where as large as the 3 mentioned above and even know they are still in production its doutful any future molds will be made that large.

Actually, if SuperClass tournaments take off, I expect we'll see several new large-diameter molds. Even before the advent of SuperClass, ther have been a few larger diameter discs released and PDGA approved in the past 5 years, most of them from Disc Golf Aotearoa, a company out of New Zealand. Some larger, floaty discs are incredibly accurate for upshots and can make some insane doglegs midair if thrown with the proper touch. They also have so much float that they require almost no arm-motion to throw, making them idea for touch approach shots out of bushes and thorns where there is very little room to throw.

From DGAotearoa, they've got the Rippa, legal up to 187.6g, and the Te Moko, legal up to 196.7g. I keep a Te Moko or a Zephyr in my bag during tournaments and have nailed some unbelievable shots that I never would have been able to achieve with a more ballistic, smaller-diameter disc.

No reason to write off larger diameter plastic. The trickiest part is fitting it in the bag. My Gorilla Boy Silverback has a perfect spot for a single Zephyr or Te Moko in one of the pockets, but I can only get one or the other in there... it's all I need, but most bags don't have any places that work well for large-diameter plastic.

Hey t i m, I agree that it would be nice if more bags had room for larger diameter discs. My competition bag just really doesn't have a good place to keep one of my zephyrs, if it did I would definitely throw it more during regular rounds rather than only throwing it when I specifically go out to play super class rounds.

Honestly I think that most of your drivers that weight 175 will weigh 176 sometimes due to them retaining moisture. Which is why some manufacurers keep their weights at 174 for max.

No reason to write off larger diameter plastic. The trickiest part is fitting it in the bag. My Gorilla Boy Silverback has a perfect spot for a single Zephyr or Te Moko in one of the pockets, but I can only get one or the other in there... it's all I need, but most bags don't have any places that work well for large-diameter plastic.

My 184 Scorpion stands out in my bag because it is so much larger. It is odd to carry.

Latest posts