• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McBeth's Two handed putting

Jesterian

Par Member
Paul McBeth is pretty much on fire, and besides being an excellent driver, what does does best is convert. I took a little time to study his putting and realized the most distinctive thing he does it his two handed grip when sighting with the putter pre-putt.

Just tried it out for some putts and figured out that it limits your right arm from going out too far which increases mobility. It also gives you a standard spot to hold the putter based on the length of your left arm. Last, it avoids fatigue in your right arm which is important for a smooth putt. (reverse all of this for lefties)

I wanted to bring this to light for anybody having putting issues. It is helping me considerably.

I'm not sure I follow some of what you explain the benefits to be. Lining up with both hands on the disc increases your mobility how? Also, do your arms happen to be of different length? If I use both hands in my pre-putt routine I seem to line up to the same spot regardless of where my left arm sits. I'm also guessing most people don't suffer from 'putting fatigue'.

Good for you for finding something that works for you, just having trouble following exactly what benefits this provides.

I believe he means that you can't over reach with your right arm when aligning your putt, as your left arm is there as an anchor.

Ah, I think I follow. So your saying with two hands aligning your putt, you wont align your throwing arm at a point beyond where you normally release, causing you over reach the putt, perhaps aiming high for a loft putt, or late for a spin putt.

Thank you for rephrasing that for me!

Right. If your putting arm is at the absolute end of your mobility, it can't be loose enough to have full control over the putt you're attempting to execute. If you watch, Steve Rico does this as well.

Also, I'm guessing plenty of people suffer from 'putting fatigue'. That is, their arm has far too much tension in it to achieve accuracy and a smooth release.

I have noticed that I putt better with my left elbow/arm rigid and raised slightly to the side... one less moving part.

I emulate PM's putting style, as far as I understand it, and the change has improved my putting.
Here's a few things about his putting style that I believe have benefited me:
1. Slow, paced wind-up and release. His pacing is very smooth.
2. Very few moving parts. Although his form isn't rigid, there is very little movement of his wrist and elbow.
3. Fewer moving parts means simplicity and consistency.
4. Basically the same motion from 10' and 50'.
5. Very easy, soft grip that gives a very clean release.

Never gave much thought to the two-handed pre-shot routine, but I do that, too.

Last edited: