• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Measuring with a range finder

torzheil

There is a bad course I occasionally play. (Fort Washington) It hasn't been measured. What is the standard measurement for a hole? Is it straight from tee to basket? Or do I measure the designed fairway?
Scenario one: I can throw over the junk (pricker bushes etc.) do I measure straight to the hole? Keep in mind if I don't make it over; I'm in a world of hurt and bloody scratches from the thorns.
Scenario two: I can try to throw through the woods but I am probably better off sticking to the path, since I will hit a tree ( and then end up in the prickers), should I measure the fair way distance or still measure straight to the stick (no baskets on this course :wall:)?
I think, I will measure the designed fairway distance, since that will make me feel better.
Last time out I slipped on the gravel tee and cut my hand open. Don't ask me why I play here :doh:. I don't know, but I won't be going back in the summer when the thorns are in their full glory.

Last edited:
Measure directly to where you want the disc to LAND. That is often the target. If not, then measure from the landing spot to where you want it to land next, etc. to the target.

The way I like to put it is, measure the fairway you think a majority of players try to throw along. Usually, there's one main intended fairway. I try to follow the middle of that. The only case this could be tricky is if there's a hole that has a left and right hand alley, with both being slightly different distances. In that situation, I would take the two distances, and record the average.

Also, forgot to mention, I think using a 300 ft tape measure is a very easy and accurate way to get distances. You can follow the curvature of the fairway with little difficulty.

a measure wheel is hands down the most accurate and best way. And if you are just wanting to know the measurement for your own benefit then measure both. Since you cant tape or wheel through the thorns use gps for straight line then measure with a wheel the fairway route, now you know both.

Let me know if you need any help, I'm the other guy that plays that course.
Which tee did you slip on? I've fallen off a couple of tees there too, those round stones seem like a bad idea.

Thanks for all the feed back.
I think it was on hole five that I slipped. After I slipped, I started throwing next to or behind the tee. Yeah I will let you know, and let me know if the park rangers are good with clearing the thorns out. I think if the thorns are cleared it would be worth playing more.

The handprint scraped in the mud in front of 5 is mine. I think part of the problem is that the front left corner of that box is low so the already rolley gravel does nothing to hold onto your plant foot that the shape of the hole forces into that corner.