• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mechanisms for finding lost Discs? (e.g. beepers, flashing lights, RFID tags, etc., etc.)

IR8300

Found this thread about a beeping device that attaches to the underside of a disc,
'Hello Disc' audible disc locator

Has tried this, or found something like a flashing LED. Thought about RFID scanners, but anything with a descent range will be $$$. Placing a metal strip (or foil) under the disc, then using a metal detector, results in the same issue: Expense & carrying something bulky.

Becoming adept at retrieving discs from bad spots, by finding them remains the problem.

The practical answer is stop throwing my dark green Sphinx in the high grass.

Found this thread about a beeping device that attaches to the underside of a disc,
'Hello Disc' audible disc locator

Has tried this, or found something like a flashing LED. Thought about RFID scanners, but anything with a descent range will be $$$. Placing a metal strip (or foil) under the disc, then using a metal detector, results in the same issue: Expense & carrying something bulky.

Becoming adept at retrieving discs from bad spots, by finding them remains the problem.

The practical answer is stop throwing my dark green Sphinx in the high grass.
You can do that for fun rounds, but once you start playing by the rules you can't do that.

Basically, you can't alter it from the way that the PDGA approved it. Yes, there are a few exceptions like: dyeing, sanding rough edges), but adding something to make it more 'findable'? Nope.

One exception....you can add something to enable finding a disc during night or snow play IF the TD allows it.

but once you start playing by the rules you can't do that.
Silly me; should have added that qualification: Don't see myself as competitive any time soon. MeepMeep's video mentioned that.

Far more interested in not losing my favorite drivers & long-range fairway discs. Only started this year, and have already lost one disc.

My best advice is always use a spotter on blind holes. It may not help you find a disc once lost, but it will likely prevent you from having to look for one to begin with.

For night golf, I like the glow strips. Top and bottom and charge them before each throw. A friend has used the LED's, but they seem to come off on a good tree hit pretty easily. Glow tape is kind of like duct tape. When properly applied to a clean disc, it doesn't come off. Use a UV light rather than a white light.

For day golf, you may not be able to get a spotter on the ground, but remind your cardmates to watch the throw on blind landings. Although it's a courtesy rule officially and in general, a lot of people don't watch others throws closely. If people pay attention, you can usually find a disc.

• Tend to go out solo, so a spotter is out of the question.
  • Yes, it would be a good idea IF I kept my eye on the disc, and then made a bee line to where it landed.
  • UV light MIGHT work, if the plastic has a dramatically different color compared to the vegetation.
  • IR could work, since vegetation is bright white, and maybe plastic isn't. But then I'm back to the same problem as the RFID readers & metal detector: Bulky gadget to carry around.
  • Maybe I'll dig deeper into the LED idea. Advantage is that the flashing would attract attention, even if the disc not upside down.

Some, not all, greens, yellows, oranges, pinks and reds light up like a road reflector when hit with uv. Catch is it's got to be dark enough and that's probably not when you're playing.

I lost a drive first hole yesterday in the daylight and looked thoroughly, couldn't find it. In the dark during the glow round I swept the area where I thought I lost it with a uv light and sure enough it was there wedged in a brush pile with only a sliver of the edge of the wing sticking out but it was vivid in the dark under uv.

Some, not all, greens, yellows, oranges, pinks and reds light up like a road reflector when hit with uv. Catch is it's got to be dark enough and that's probably not when you're playing.
Tend to play early in the morning. Looks like the best options are attaching flashing lights or sound-makers, that are light weight. And accept that even w. good adhesive, they will come off after a hard impact (trees, rocks). But what flashing light?

You can do that for fun rounds, but once you start playing by the rules you can't do that.

Basically, you can't alter it from the way that the PDGA approved it. Yes, there are a few exceptions like: dyeing, sanding rough edges), but adding something to make it more 'findable'? Nope.

One exception....you can add something to enable finding a disc during night or snow play IF the TD allows it.
I'll keep that in mind for when I play competitively the next time. Which will be in approximately 5 or more years, if I know myself.

Latest posts