• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Member Search / Near Me

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Just launched another new feature. I've rearranged the main menu to fit it in. "Add a Course" is now in the Course Directory drop-down, I moved Forums over and put in the new "Members" menu.

You can now search for members on the site using various filters (assuming people have filled out their DGCR profiles of course). If you have your zip code filled in you can find DGCR members near you (again, assuming they've put in their zip codes) and maybe send them a PM to play a round if you're so inclined.

I've defaulted the search to United States although it looks like only 260 people have actually entered a country in so far. Maybe this feature will inspire some to add more info to their profiles.

Anyways, as usual, please let me know if you find any problems/bugs or if you have any suggestions/comments on it.

I know one of the first suggestions will probably be to make a "member map" but the problem with that is I'm only storing your zip codes. Even if everyone had them filled in, the map would just show one point on the map for every person in that zip code which would be kind of pointless.

If I added address info I don't think most people would be comfortable putting that in or having their exact location available to the world.

Added a trusted reviewers filter to the member search.

Tim, I like the feature. It will be good when travelling to get in contact with the locals. What makes someone a trusted reviewer?

After you get a certain amount of helpful votes you become a trusted reviewer.

Just launched another new feature.

Schweeet! I likes it! Very helpful! Like a fine wine this site only gets better as it ages.

Another good feature. Unfortunately there are only 4 members within 300 miles of me. I don't exactly live in the DG capitol of the world. Hopefully the site membership will continue to grow. Keep up the good work.

Another thing to keep in mind is a lot of people don't have their location info filled out in their DGCR profiles. I'll have to find a spot to put a reminder about getting that filled out somewhere in the registration process.

Member search acting weird...

Member Name Contains: "ericj" --> 1 Members Found

Member Name Contains: "ricj" --> No Members Found

Member Name Contains: "eric" --> 5 Members Found

Member Name Contains: "ric" --> 2707 Members Found

Member Name Contains: "greg layton" --> 1 Members Found

Member Name Contains: "layton" --> 0 Members Found

Member Name Contains: "greg" --> 14 Members Found

Member Name Contains: "tim" --> 2707 Members Found

Member Name Contains: "aaa" --> 2707 Members Found

Actually, any three character string I tried returned 2707 Members.

Member Name Contains: "111" --> 2707 Members Found

Member Name Contains: "###" --> 2707 Members Found

Does "Member Name Contains" really mean "Member Name Starts With..."?

Even so, that doesn't explain any three characters returning 2707 matches??

I disregard 3 character queries.. 4 is the minimum (it says that right next to the name box). Also, yes, I match "name*" since I figured if you typd in Ryan you wouldn't want all the Bryans showing up in the results list.

I disregard 3 character queries.. 4 is the minimum (it says that right next to the name box).
Ahhh... but it only says that on the first/main search, not the results search. I.e.
This: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/mem_browse.php
vs.
This: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/mem_browse.php?mname=tim&country=0

So if I search for "Brad" from the main page and then search for "Tim" from the subsequent page I probably miss the 3-character disclaimer. It'd probably be good to add it to the results page as well.

Also, yes, I match "name*" since I figured if you typd in Ryan you wouldn't want all the Bryans showing up in the results list.

Maybe then change to "Member name starts with..." since that's what you're really doing. "Contains" is misleading.

ERic

Probably want to add the same "(4 chars min.)" disclaimer to the course search results page too.

ERic

It becomes 2 lines if I do that. I did change it to "starts with" though.

Latest posts