• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Weird hand feel

Yes, I will gladly carry some Dismania molds(love the FD) but will not throw any of them with anhyzer top.

Just for fun, here are some discs that just feel natural: Undertaker, Vulture, Buzzz, Teebird, Leopard/Leopard3.

I've thought of a couple other funny feeling discs. In particular, the Flick feels weird to me, particularly the flat ones with high PLH. There's something about the Heat that is weird to me, must be the dome. However, I'd bag it if I got a better flight out of it.

I can't emphasize enough that it's all about how they fly. I'd throw a saw blade or flaming coal if it was PDGA legal and gave me a desirable flight without maiming my hands for life. I think this stems from growing up with the Discraft Ultrastar. I always disliked how it felt, but I managed to adjust my grip to make it work. That's the disc that caused me to fall in love with frisbee flight and disc sports more than 20 years ago. I can deal with the awkward grip since it's magic in the air.

The Ion feels horrible with its rounded inner rim.

It's funny. I remember thinking this when I first threw an Ion, but then I got used to it and totally forgot. Now I have purchased at least 6 different Ions and just think of it as another beaded putter, like a KC Aviar, Banger, Challenger, or Wizard. I throw them because I like how they fly, and now they just feel like any other putter to me. In particular, I like how they fly for a premium plastic throwing putter (Neutron, Plasma, or soft Proton), as opposed to favoring baseline plastics for the other molds I mentioned.

wims said:
I'm not a fan of very shallow discs like the Tern or the Mamba for backhand. The shallow rim makes it feel like I'm rock climbing and im just barely holding on. A shallow rim doesn't inspire a lot of confidence for me

Maybe my hands are smaller, but the Tern feels pretty good for my backhand power grip. It feels natural getting it on a hyzer and getting that max distance line. The Thrasher has a somewhat similar feel and has become "Discraft's Tern" in my bag. I will say that the forehand grip is a no-go. Granted, it's not a great forehand disc, but I would use it more in that role if it felt a little deeper.

The Monarch and the Groove come to mind as odd discs in the hand though I could use the Monarch, the other is odd and had some consistency issues when I felt a few discs in the Goove mold. Odd that I can really use well is the Nova due to small hand and tall disc. The Birdie a great flying disc is not for me the corner on the wing/edge to top part where the parts connect is too sharp and thus not a comfortable disc, this was when I was looking for a better flying Putt'r, a lid that was not in flexible plastic.

A lot of people think the Magnet/Titanic/Clutch is odd in the hand and to me the Magnet/Titanic is what I needed for a putting putter if I do not have the Big Bead putters to rest the index finger on, it is in the concave and resting on the back edge. This is why I use Shark and Shark 3 in my bag due to the concave wing.

Still bag 1 PD but I have never liked the anhyzer top either. I don't think the FD3 has that top, at least my color glow FD3's top doesn't look like the PD's

Out of all the discs I have, the Comet has the most odd hand feel, but I throw it anyway :)

Sonics, Polecats, Darts, Spikes, Pigs and many other "odd" discs seem to make it into my bag too. I'm sensing a pattern.

I've only ever felt up/thrown one Comet, but I definitely see how it could have a reputation for a weird hand feel. I didn't hate it, but it definitely felt different than most other mids I've thrown. Holding it now, I think its just how steep the bead angle is. From the edge of the wing to the bead is just much steeper than other beaded mids. Here it is compared to a Roc3:

Comet:

gS3jRAj.jpg

Roc3:

JikogGL.jpg

The Comet feels too deep and thin in my hand. Unbalanced. Like others say it isn't cozy in my grip and makes me feel like I won't throw it properly. Definitely weird for me. I could get used to it though.

Hand feel is a big deal to me. It's a big part of why I throw Emacs instead of Rocs, and Zones instead of Harps. One thing I wish is that narrow (speed 6/7) fairway drivers felt better in my hand. Leopards feel terribly uncomfortable, almost like I'm gripping a child's frisbee. And Teebirds unfortunately aren't much better. That's the one mold that I really wish felt more comfy, because there are times that a 7/5/02 flight would be just perfect. Instead I either disc down to an Emac or up to a Getaway.

Hand feel is a big deal to me. It's a big part of why I throw Emacs instead of Rocs, and Zones instead of Harps. One thing I wish is that narrow (speed 6/7) fairway drivers felt better in my hand. Leopards feel terribly uncomfortable, almost like I'm gripping a child's frisbee. And Teebirds unfortunately aren't much better. That's the one mold that I really wish felt more comfy, because there are times that a 7/5/0/2 flight would be just perfect. Instead I either disc down to an Emac or up to a Getaway.

Try the Stalker. To some the bead can have them say the mold feels like a midrange mold to them and it is a 7|4|-1|2 so very close to what you want. To me the mold flies like a better X mold Eagle.

Try the Stalker. To some the bead can have them say the mold feels like a midrange mold to them and it is a 7|4|-1|2 so very close to what you want. To me the mold flies like a better X mold Eagle.

Thanks for the tip, you're right that I'd rather throw a fast mid than a slow fairway. That being said, I already bag a Stag at 8/5/-1/2 so a Stalker would be a lot of overlap. I'm not looking for another workable fairway. It's that straight-to-baby fade slow fairway driver that I wish felt more comfortable.

Okay, serious answer 3P:

The Magnet is the single grossest feeling disc ever created. Don't suggest Magnets.

(Flying Squirrels are an odd rim, but I kinda dig it.)

Okay, serious answer 3P:

The Magnet is the single grossest feeling disc ever created. Don't suggest Magnets.

(Flying Squirrels are an odd rim, but I kinda dig it.)
I was kinda trying to see if there was a pattern to it, but it's kinda all over the place. Except everyone hates the Comet. :(

*goes to the park to throw Comets*

*realizes it's dark out*

*goes home to argue on the Internet some more*

I was kinda trying to see if there was a pattern to it, but it's kinda all over the place. Except everyone hates the Comet. :(

*goes to the park to throw Comets*

*realizes it's dark out*

*goes home to argue on the Internet some more*

Everyone is a boner. Comets are just a normal mid with a bead.

*realizes he's been playing too long*

*doesn't understand new tiny mids*

*also doesn't like Leopards so probably shouldn't call anyone a boner*

Latest posts