• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mercer County, NJ? Why Not?

WeaponX

Years back Mercer County Park had a disc golf course. The game wasn't as popular and it was taken down in the late 90's to my knowledge.

I don't see why this very populated and well off (money-wise) county does not have a course. The Mercer County Park offers everything from Ice Skating to Cricket. But yet, Disc Golf has lost its space.

The park is over 520 acres wide, and is spread over 2-3 towns. The parks has plenty of potential to become a GREAT place to host a course. It is in a great neighborhood, and in/out of a town, Hamilton, NJ which was named the 18th safest town in the US (based on crime).

The park is well maintained with its various walking paths, 17 softball fields, re-done basketball courts, dog park (which no one uses).

I know many of you are not from NJ, but something has to be done there. Someone maybe like Cubby who is obviously from the Area would step up. Cubby plays constantly at Rutgers and the private course in Cranbury. Well Mercer County Park is dead in the middle of those two locations. Central Jersey is really lacking a disc golf course, and something needs to be done.

I know what your thinking....well why not go in front of the board or the park commission and give them your ideas....well I've yet to EVER play disc golf. I'm a total NEWB, but I believe with the popularity it has, and quickly growing, it can become an asset to the park.

Does anyone know how to contact cubby? Hope to hear some responses soon...

I agree....poor Jersey has the most lackluster courses and lack of courses for population and wealth I believe as anywhere in the USA! Would love to see a REAL course in Jersey and not another silly niner...seems the problem is the powers that be think disc golf is what theyve seen and what they see in Jersey is all tiny underwhelming courses. Outside of Field of Dreams, Campgaw, and South Vineland(which are really just all average but appear great in NJ) there is nothing but short pitch n putts!

If you are looking for allies in the fight for more courses, you may have some luck finding them at the discdevils.com message board. That group is very active in central NJ, despite the lack of world class courses. Maybe one of them will have some suggestions for who to petition, etc.

I headed the design and construction of the Fields of Dreams Course in Great Meadows NJ, proving you don't need experience to execute a good course with mass appeal. If you need any help or think that I can somehow help in being the difference in getting this course off the ground...contact me.

Disc Golf Coming to Mercer County Park...

Eight holes in; one more and a practice hole on the way, along with signage... 18 tee boxes under construction (hey, it's a start...) Opening late June/early July???

Eight holes in; one more and a practice hole on the way, along with signage... 18 tee boxes under construction (hey, it's a start...) Opening late June/early July???

Hmm? Just recently someone asked me if I played DG at Mercer Park? I said No, but that is one place that should have a course. Clayton so your saying a course is going in there as we speak? Can you tell me where in the park? I'd like to check it out.

Mercer county would be awesome...Has anyone ever tried the Jerset State Park Systems....Round Valley has amazing land and I dream of throwing off of the dams to the wide open fields...I dont get why jersey state parks are completely barbwired and fenced off....what kind of public place is that?

I used to fish Lake Mercer when I lived in Lawrenceville. Plenty of room around there for a course. Try to get the Rider College and Princeton kids into it. Numbers = noise = movement. Good luck. Jersey could use a win.

Update

Thank you for your inquiry concerning a proposed disc golf course in one of our parks. The County is in the process of building a disc golf course in Mercer County Park. The course should be complete and ready to open late this summer or early in the fall. It is a nine hole course with two tee boxes for each hole. Please keep in touch with me the next few weeks and I will fill you in on details of the opening. Let me know if you have any other questions concerning the course.

Jim Haggerty
Director Recreation/Events
Mercer County Park Commission