• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Merrell Chameleon 3's

tboese

Par Member
Hey Guys,

I've been looking at new shoes and currently I'm pretty stuck on either the Chameleon 3's or the Teva Riva eVent shoes. Mostly because they both have Vibram soles, they're at my top end price range, and it's easy for me to go and try the shoe on at the local REI.

Basically I know Merrell makes great shoes, but there are a few issues I have with the Chameleon 3's which I wanted.
1. Stiff. These shoes are so extremely stiff starting out. I don't know if all Merrells are this way, but it's by far the stiffest shoe I've ever tried on. How long does it take to break in?
2. Noise. The most common reported issue with these shoes is that a squeak may randomly start while you're walking. Apparently it's got something to do with the insole, and instead of fixing it, Merrell's response so far (at least as of July time frame when they responded on their site about it) was to use baby powder between the insole and shoe. That's kind of stupid for a shoe that's been out for so long...
3. Breathability. Not a huge deal, but the guy I talked to at REI was saying that the eVent shoe line from Teva was much more breathable than standard Gortex. Anyone else know much about this?

All-in-all, I like the sportier look of the Chameleon's. I do also like the Riva's, although they are a bit plain. Honestly, as shoes go, the Riva's were very comfortable when I tried them on (soft, and broken in, although they do require regular leather treatments apparently, which I would need to explore more as I'm not used to this type of maintenance). I just don't want to write the Merrell's off yet as a couple friends of mine have them and say they break in to be very comfortable.

I'll supplement my post. I own them both and all your thoughts are valid, however I absolutely positively give my Riva's the definitive edge over my chameleon's. For one, I've already had rubber separation on the Chameleon's after just a few months of use and all the while the Riva's are going strong. They're arguably one of the best disc golf shoe's out there. The toe box is a little wider than typical as well, which I LOVE. I do try to take care of the leather but all that means is rubbing a lotion on it every 6 months (or more often if you so desire). They're just dynamite shoes, I wasn't expecting much when I bought them so they were a very pleasant surprise.

Got my Teva's in just two days ago. So far so good. Very comfortable.

Hope they treat you well. If I was you I would spend the $8 or whatever it costs and at the end of the season, before winter, wash them up and use the leather treatment stuff on them. They're pretty rugged shoes though aren't they? And comfy!

Anybody else got anything to add regarding durability or comfort with either the Merrell Chameleon3's (stretch or ventilator) or the Teva Rivas? Jeronimo, you got any more input on how yours have held up?

I went to REI and tried both on, those Teva's felt awesome. Most comfortable shoe I've tried on in a loooong time. Made the Merrells feel like bricks.

Teva's are still going strong. The only thing that's going to wreck this shoe at this point is the sole wearing out. I'm actually fairly surprised I haven't had any rubber separation, I really can't surmise why it hasn't happened with these shoes and it constantly does with others. I have noticed the design of the shoe has changed juuuuust a little since I bought my pair, i'm thinking they might have streamlined how they make it in order to make the manufacturing more profitable. Hopefully it didn't change how well built they were. I'd really like to hear how networked's pair are holding up.

He showed me his the other day and they still look new, but we've only played about 10 rounds since he got them. I'm not sure if he got the old version or the new...it seems like the ones I tried on looked just a little different than his, but I'm not sure what the difference was.

I plan to use my membership coupon and get them from REI, I was told they'd take them back no matter what if they started to separate or fall apart. Anyone know if that's true?

Unless something has changed in the last few years, REI is supposed to have a no questions asked return policy. I had a pair of Keens that I bought and wore for a month before deciding that they didn't fit right. I took them back and got full store credit for them without any hassle. Not sure if they'll refund $$ on used stuff though...just store credit.

Saw Rivas locally with only the event leather model. I love the idea of easy wipe cleanup leather vs muck in mesh, but can lined waterproof leather really breathe much at all??

Old topic know, but just wanted to say I've been using Chameleon 3's since feb and they're the best shoes I've ever owned. Nothing wrong with them except the soles are getting a little worn from cement tees, but they've still got plenty of life left. I plan to buy some back-up pairs I'm so impressed with them.

I haven't had any rubber separation or squeaking. They only took a week or so of casual walking to really loosen up and flex with my foot more. I love no laces, and they're super comfortable / supportive. They still smell new which is ridiculous, I have horrible smelling feet so that's pretty impressive to me. I hate having anything else on my feet at this point, they're so comfortable. I wear them everywhere. Work, the course, the gym etc.

Latest posts