• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Merrell Moabs

Bardu

* Ace Member *
My first pair of Waterproof Merrell Moabs lasted three years. I've been quite happy with them and looking to buy another pair. Does anyone have experience with the Waterproof vs the Gore-Tex?

Not really much of a difference in expierence. Ive had a few different waterproof and gore tex shoes over the years and Ive never really noticed much of a difference.

My only concern is the right shoe, left side of the toe area that I grind down quickly on concrete teePads, (which is all i play on, basically) I think it's from toe drag from throwing forehands from the teebox,

anyone else have this problem? And if this is a problem on all shoes, why not buy cheapos from wally world as disposables?

I have had a lot of Merrell shoes over the years and imo the waterproofing has gone to hell- lasts about 2 months at this point. I have switched to salomon for that type of shoe.

Not really much of a difference in expierence. Ive had a few different waterproof and gore tex shoes over the years and Ive never really noticed much of a difference.

Thanks, thats kind of what I was thinking too.

My only concern is the right shoe, left side of the toe area that I grind down quickly on concrete teePads, (which is all i play on, basically) I think it's from toe drag from throwing forehands from the teebox,

anyone else have this problem? And if this is a problem on all shoes, why not buy cheapos from wally world as disposables?

Shoes are something I don't mind spending money on. I didn't have any problems with the longevity of mine. Although I will admit, that is where my shoe ultimately came apart.

I have had a lot of Merrell shoes over the years and imo the waterproofing has gone to hell- lasts about 2 months at this point. I have switched to salomon for that type of shoe.

Those look nice. Is there are particular model you recommend? Also, what I am looking for just an all around disc golf shoe that also happens to have as much protection from the elements as possible. Would you recommend the Salomons for that purpose?

Merrell seems to have changed some things in their shoes as they used to last so much longer. Now the waterproofing doesn't last long at all and the soles rip from the shoe not long after. I switched to Keens and so far haven't had any issues at all.

Merrell seems to have changed some things in their shoes as they used to last so much longer. Now the waterproofing doesn't last long at all and the soles rip from the shoe not long after. I switched to Keens and so far haven't had any issues at all.

Yeah, my shoes came apart at the seems. Like I said, after three years I thought that was to be expected. But the waterproofing definitely decreased in effectiveness with the age of the shoes. Is there a particular model of Keens you recommend?

My biggest issue with the Merrells was the the weight. I wear Asics running shoes when I'm not at the course and I really appreciate the support they have. I figured the weight was something I'd have to sacrifice for durability.

The first pair of MOABs I bought 3 years ago lasted a little over a year. Those had the "Waterproof" branding and the soles ended up coming apart from the shoe. They lost their waterproofing abilities within 4 months. Cost about $120.

January 2016 I picked up a pair of Marrell boots with Marrell soles instead of Vibram, and they have been holding up amazingly. I managed to scoop them up at the Merrell outlet store for $35. They have been my go to shoes this season and the soles are still holding out great. They are waterproof and I try to avoid walking through big puddles and such but they keep my feet dry while I play in the rain.

I am expecting MOABs with Gore-tex from my parents this Christmas so I hope they hold up next season, but I'm going to try and be a bit more gentle with them.

My biggest issue with the waterproof hiking shoes is they tend to get my feet very warm during a round. Great during the winter, not so much the rest of the year.

When it's dry, I will play in my Merrell MOABs without waterproofing or old sneakers. I do enjoy the grip the Merrells provide while throwing on the fairway and not just the teepad.

The first pair of MOABs I bought 3 years ago lasted a little over a year. Those had the "Waterproof" branding and the soles ended up coming apart from the shoe. They lost their waterproofing abilities within 4 months. Cost about $120.

January 2016 I picked up a pair of Marrell boots with Marrell soles instead of Vibram, and they have been holding up amazingly. I managed to scoop them up at the Merrell outlet store for $35. They have been my go to shoes this season and the soles are still holding out great. They are waterproof and I try to avoid walking through big puddles and such but they keep my feet dry while I play in the rain.

I am expecting MOABs with Gore-tex from my parents this Christmas so I hope they hold up next season, but I'm going to try and be a bit more gentle with them.

My biggest issue with the waterproof hiking shoes is they tend to get my feet very warm during a round. Great during the winter, not so much the rest of the year.

When it's dry, I will play in my Merrell MOABs without waterproofing or old sneakers. I do enjoy the grip the Merrells provide while throwing on the fairway and not just the teepad.

I've had the same issue with the waterproofing wearing off over several brands. I just have a can of Kiwi Boot Protector (silicone based waterproofing) The only pair of shoes/boots I've ever had that waterproofing lasted more than a year was a $200 pair of Timberland hiking high boots. I'm too cheap for that these days. Give me my Merrells on special and a $4 can of Kiwi and I'm good to go for years. The waterproofing may wear off, but I've only ever had one pair of Merrells have any issue with structural/tread durability.

I was really happy with the Merrels but I did take a look at Salomons and I am intrigued by the XA Pro WP. I might give them a try.

I got 2 pairs of Moab's about 2 yrs ago and they both only lasted a few months before the soles came away from the upper shoe. The waterproofing/gortex didnt work.
Imo merrell are a waste of money.

I was really happy with the Merrels but I did take a look at Salomons and I am intrigued by the XA Pro WP. I might give them a try.

I have the Salomon XA 3D PROs and they are nice. A bit stiff at first and a smidge on the narrow side but they break in nicely. Love the soles/treads on these, one of the few Salomom treads worth anything. Other Salomon's I tried had more generic treads and were too hard and made them slippery in the winter., but not the XA Pro's they work great. Just bought my 2nd pair from REI. :thmbup:

I have the Salomon XA 3D PROs and they are nice. A bit stiff at first and a smidge on the narrow side but they break in nicely. Love the soles/treads on these, one of the few Salomom treads worth anything. Other Salomon's I tried had more generic treads and were too hard and made them slippery in the winter., but not the XA Pro's they work great. Just bought my 2nd pair from REI. :thmbup:

Awesome! That's kinda what I wanted to hear. Do you use the waterproof?

The Keen Dry liner in my Targhees was much better at keeping my feet dry than my Goretex Moabs before them, or the "Waterproof" Moabs after them. Also, there seemed to be a bit of a drop in quality in the two pairs of Moabs I bought. I purchased them about 4 years apart, with tge keens in the middle.

Been keeping my eyes open for a good price on a pair of Keen Marshall WP mids.
:popcorn:

Last edited:
Here's my experience: I bought the Merrell All Out Blaze that were water proof and lightweight , but they had a chunk of the rubber sole come apart on my pivot foot less than a year after purchasing them. Since then I've been using the Keen Nasu and they've been bomb proof. They're a little heavy, though. I'd try another pair of Keens again before I Merrels

Awesome! That's kinda what I wanted to hear. Do you use the waterproof?

Not for a while as they are really good at keeping my feet dry. But like Reniger stated, I also keep a can of waterproof spray handy and proactively touch all my shoes up from time to time. We get some pretty sloppy weather here so I don't want to take any chances with wet socks. Generally speaking I would say I go the first year without spraying them, then after that I touch them up once a month or so.

Not for a while as they are really good at keeping my feet dry. But like Reniger stated, I also keep a can of waterproof spray handy and proactively touch all my shoes up from time to time. We get some pretty sloppy weather here so I don't want to take any chances with wet socks. Generally speaking I would say I go the first year without spraying them, then after that I touch them up once a month or so.

Thank you. I have a can but I sprayed my Merrells when I first bought them and then did not spray them again.

My $25 pair of Hi-Tec shoes lasted longer than both of my pairs of Merrels.

Hi-tec is legit. I have had keen. Merrell, saloman, even bite Dg shoes. What I have figuredout is you can get a 1 year shoe for $50 but it's a gamble after that. Look for sales and don't trust the waferproof. Gore-tex is legit but you gotta pay for it. And If the shoe construction doesn't last your out. If you really want water proof get a quick dry river shoe and some water proof socks i.e. sealskinz.

Source: disc golfing in Seattle past 12 years

Last edited:
Hi-tec is legit. I have had keen. Merrell, saloman, even bite Dg shoes. What I have figuredout is you can get a 1 year shoe for $50 but it's a gamble after that. Look for sales and don't trust the waferproof. Gore-tex is legit but you gotta pay for it. And If the shoe construction doesn't last your out. If you really want water proof get a quick dry river shoe and some water proof socks i.e. sealskinz.

Source: disc golfing in Seattle past 12 years

Honestly, at 32 years old I had never heard of Waterproof Socks... Huh. Looking into them, Sealskinz sound like a great product. However, at $30-$60 a pair??? No thanks, bub. That's a damn pair of shoes AND 5 cans of Kiwi spray.