• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid-round Disc Change

GoobyPls

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Probably a dumb question, but are you allowed to change out discs in the middle of a tournament round?

Example: I'm playing a course that has water hazards, and I've lost my XYZ driver on hole 8. The walk between hole 8 & hole 9 goes across the parking lot, and I'd like to stop at my car and grab my backup XYZ driver. Is that allowed?

Yep, the only possible issue is the excessive time rule on your next shot. You can borrow discs out of someone else's bag as well, with permission [emoji3]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

See Jomez coverage of 2017 Memorial. Niko throws four in the water and between holes runs off to his car to put more into his bag...
I had to do something like that back in 1996 at Cliff Stephens, losing three drivers in the water early in the round. No extra discs in my rental car so I ran over to the sales tent, quickly bought 2 more and made it the rest of the way through the round.

You can borrow discs out of someone else's bag as well, with permission [emoji3]

Is permission absolutely required? For example, in casual rounds with friends, I sometimes do a silly thing: when we're all tapping in putts very close to the basket, I'll take a putted disc out of the basket to hand it back to the friend, then quickly put it back into the basket as my tap in, then hand it to them for real with a cheeky grin.

Obviously I only do this with people I know well. :D

You can get a disc out of your car. You can borrow a disc from another player, or anyone else at the event . You can use a lost disc that you found (as long as you verify it's not someone's current throw). You can buy a disc from a vendor.

If you can do any of these and not break the excessive time rule, it's legal.

But there's no way you can quickly whittle a disc out of a fallen tree branch (it'd have to be dead and unattached to be legal) b/c getting it submitted and receiving PDGA approval will definitely exceed the time limit. :|

If we're being serious on this, could taking a disc from another players bag be a courtesy violation?

Taking a disc out of their bag without their knowledge or permission? I think it could be argued to be an unsportsmanlike act and thus a courtesy violation. Especially if the player then throws the disc without the owner's knowledge or permission. I mean, what if the owner intended to throw it on that hole and now it's out in the fairway somewhere as the other player's live disc?

That's a whole different story than what Nova P was proposing (tapping out a putt with someone else's disc), which I've seen plenty of players do, even in a tournament.

Latest posts