• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Middle Finger Joint Pain

cmcolomb

Double Eagle Member
Hello Friends.

I have been playing for awhile now and was able to get over (at least for awhile) my finger pains described here..

So basically, after knowing I had issue with my middle finger - I switched to all Power grip.. but after about 2 years, the fan slowly creeped back in for my mids/approach shots just because I am able to control/feel it better. And then it happened, my midlde finger joint pain roared back.

Now - I tape up my middle finger enough to allow me to still Power grip everything, but (I think) it provides support and limits the lateral movement of my middle finger (I think the left and right 'torque-ing' action at the moment of release causes the issue, hypothesis).

Point of the thread?? I dunno - hoping others have had this issue and can direct me to a cure.. I've been to the doc, the chiro, etc. and the ol' RICE method seems to be the 'cure'

Ideas?

Thanks for your time - happy discing!

I don't know it sounds like there's something wrong in your grip or mechanics. Does the disc pivot on your middle finger? Which finger are taping the middle to?

I use a standard power grip - not sure exactly where it pivots but it's definitely aggravating my middle finger, with that torque-ing I mentioned.

I don't tape it to another finger - I figure that might really screw things up if I were to tape it to my ring finger or something.. I just tape it tight (I tape it while it's bent a little so it isn't rigidly taped)

more about the pain - it really feels like it wants to pop, as in if you were to try and pop your fingers while they were in a fist position, pushing them down. When I try to push the middle finger down, I get that sharp pain right before a pop - but it just plain hurts and won't pop. So I just pull it out and massage it... yea..

check my grip

Attachments

• 2012-04-03_13-45-40_767.jpg
    2012-04-03_13-45-40_767.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 2012-04-03_13-45-22_671.jpg
    2012-04-03_13-45-22_671.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 72
i feel like my grip is 'effed up' if i do anything BUT power grip..

That's kinda what I envisioned. I use a modified power grip like most the top pros use. The disc looks low in the hand/palm. You should know whether the disc pivots on the index finger or middle finger...it should pivot on the index finger/thumb pad. I don't bend the top pinky joint and have more spacing between fingers especially between the index and middle finger so I can relax them comfortably with control(still firm to control angle) until the power zone.

For giggles it may help to learn a two finger grip like Robbie Bratten uses and then modify it to a comfortable four finger grip. Throwing with the two finger showed me what I was doing wrong with the four finger grip.

Fortunately I haven't experienced any middle-finger pain since I strained it at a Rick Santorum campaign stop 3 weeks ago. :p :D

I have finger/knuckle/upper-inner arm pain...I thought it was because of disc golf..but then realized that it was from heavy computer use for the past 12 years...disc golf has just made the whole situation worse. I am currently not playing due to issues...I hate computers now. Just throwin it out there.

thanks for the info friends..

@j0atz... I work in front of a computer every day... damnit

Arthritis. I have it. It shows up in that joint mostly. I'm working towards modified power grip, or a bit of a fan grip for my drivers. I can do it on Putters, mids and smaller rimmed discs. It's tougher with the wide rims, but definitely get more snap and less pain in the joint.

hmm... i just might be using my middle as the pivot - hoping to get out today and check that theory out.. thanks sidewinder!

It's funny, I get the same joint pain, but not from use a fan grip. Instead I get it from using a power grip. For me, it appears to be the result of the disc ripping out of my grip and pulling my middle finger sideways as it does. It essentially dislocates the finger ever so slightly as the disc comes loose, causing the middle joint to hurt. Switching to a fork grip tends to fix it, as does taping up the joint to provide additional stability.

do you tape it straight out / rigid? your explanation makes sense to me.. i've been taping my middle at a little bend, so I am able to curl it in for the power grip while limiting the lateral movement..

UPDATE::

So I went out today and taped my middle finger straight out, relatively tight - and then really tried to focus on the index/thumb pinch.. later in the round, I taped the middle finger to the ring and still had effective control. Oftentimes, when I was really trying to overemphasize the index/thumb pinch - I barely kept my middle/ring on the disc.

Overall, I think I am getting the hang of it and best of all, finger pain is significantly less today!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Oh yea, 1 down at my local course.. respectable

I have pretty bad arthritis is my middle finger. But that was from years of popping it...

Like you said in your follow up post, any time there's sideways pressure from my grip or release on that middle finger is when it hurts. The middle should only be a lock point, and one of many in the power grip. It's good to focus on that hit and grip pressure between the index and thumb. Ultimately your entire grip should be loose until that last second of force so it can spin out. When I can concentrate it away from my middle then it feels great.

Forehands, on the other hand...

Looks like what I had to adjust from too. I now have three finger grip. My length id down about ten feet but my hand has less pain. You can try bratton's grip....but remember he is a freak of nature with that ha

sorry to hear of others with the same pain..

Update: went to the ortho a month back.. didn't do much for me, I wanted a cortisol shot (steroid) but he instead sent me home with a Rx for some $67 topical cream (Ketoprofen/lidociane/baclofen.. I have been putting it on religiously at least 2x a day.. it has helped but the pain is still there.

I have completely changed my grip and focusing heavily on the index/thumb pinch. I tape my middle finger out straight (but with the sweat/heat, I can usually bend it later in the round)

Doesn't hurt as much but still hurts. I wanna cut it off..

Latest posts