• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mids as putters = noob?

I will break out my Cro for shots that are on the edge of the circle. I just feel more comfortable throwing it at those distances.

I have a buddy that started putting with Drones, changed his game from a confidence stand point, and that is all putting is really about. If the "noob" beats you putting with mids, what does that make you?

around 40-50' i'll putt with my roc because I can't jump putt to save my life. It feels good, gets to the basket and flops okay unless I'm on a hill (then I usually throw the wizard). Make more than most guys from that 40-50' range. It works for me.

I think the real issue here is that you suggested a Harp for a putting putter. Driving? Hell yes. Putting? Meh.

I hear ya but logically the harp is the closest trilogy disc to the pain but still has a blunt edge. That was my logic anyway. The pain just does not have a rim that i would ever consider even close to a putter.

I know of a 1010 rated player and a 970 rated player that only putt with mids. One of the only times I have won a ring of fire we passed discs and I putted with a mid. It is all a matter of feel and preference.

I gave my friend an Aviar(Glow Champ) and a DX Roc... he putts with the Roc. Yes he might be considered "noobish" in that regard by the Conocido types*, but he has fun and is competitive... and then's there's Les... he'll carry but a Z Nuke, well, that and a beer.... drive every hole with it(the disc, not the beer), and then he'll putt with it upside down.

My brother has putted with a FLX Buzzz for two years now. Buzzz's are his go to disc, and he feels like it gives him the most confidence to hit putts. I've got to say that from 15' and in we're pretty similar in percentage, from 15-25' I'm a bit better putter, and back to being similar out to 50'. But from outside that range I might knock down 1-2 putts a month, where he's making a couple long putts a week. Our scores are competitive so it's hard for me to tell him he needs a putter. I've decided to let it go, and to each their own.

Wide diameter discs in general don't make very good putters. Some of the smaller diameter mids make decent putters though, like a Cro or Skeeter, etc.

I've been putting with a Skeeter for maybe 3 years and I'll never go back to a "putter". I'm one of the best putters in my club and I make a relatively high percentage from 50' to 100'. I started using it for uphill and longer putts, but I liked it so much that it's all I use anymore.

I've been putting with a Skeeter for maybe 3 years and I'll never go back to a "putter". I'm one of the best putters in my club and I make a relatively high percentage from 50' to 100'. I started using it for uphill and longer putts, but I liked it so much that it's all I use anymore.

Spin, push, straddle...curious of your technique

Yeah, whatever works. I putted with a soft shark for years when I started out.

Then again, if you're bent on being the best possible player you can be and gaining every fractional advantage, you have to at least weigh the fact that the best players putt with putters. They have great access to a range of discs and time to test them and refine their shots. They have less sorry about skip-aways the blow-bys because they're excellent on the comeback. But they inevitably end up with the putters.

doesn't Michael Johansson spin putt with a ringer? thats basically an overstable utility disc right?

Spin, push, straddle...curious of your technique

Mostly spin, and I'm very comfortable straddling when I have to get around an obstacle. What I like about the Skeeter is its extreme understability keeps it flat noticeably longer than any putters I've tried. I'm a finesse putter (to a fault), so when I miss, it's usually to the left, from an early fade. The Skeeter helps counteract that.

Latest posts