• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mike's 2017 Bag

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Planning to play a lot more disc golf this year time permitting. Using this thread to track changes I make to my setup.

Very rare that I carry this entire load for a casual round, but if I were going to compete, this is what my setup would be.

Everything thrown BH, FH and for rollers as needed, no one trick ponies.

Putters

- 174g Electron Ion. Putts.
- 172g Electron Ion. Practice putts.
- 175g Soft Proxy. Favorite disc in my bag, go to for most approach shots and short drives BH & FH. Mostly used 300' and under, but sometimes I find a 350' straight shot I'll throw it on.
- 174g Plasma Envy. More overstable compliment to the Proxy. Similar flights in a moderate headwind, harder fades in calm conditions. Go to short range roller.

Mids

- 178g Eclipse Axis (Beat). Turnover mid. Tons of glide, hyzer flip to flat lazer beams, flat release turnovers that don't come back etc. Bombs in a tailwind.
- 179g Eclipse Axis (Fresh). Moderately seasoned, perfectly stable, just dead straight all day. Go to controlled medium range BH roller disc.
- 176g Eclipse Vector (Seasoned). Broken in but not worn. Dead flat, flies fast for a Vector with a reliable fade. Go to mid, especially for long approach shots I don't want to power an Envy / Proxy to reach. Have a nice stock of fresh Vectors I can cycle with this one, but its not quite beat enough that I feel the need. It always does exactly what I want.

Fairway Drivers

- 175g Proton Inspire. Understable fairway. Hyzerflips, turnovers, general line-shaping. Love it for flip to flat hyzer flicks and controlled S curves with either throwing style. Go to lefty driver.
- 175g Neutron Crave (seasoned). Favorite fairway driver. Incredibly neutral, just a little turn and a little fade, super controllable off the tee. Glide for days. One of my favorite FH discs, its butter. One of those discs that makes me happy to own.
- 175 Neutron Crave (Fresh). Stable fairway. Not really any turn to this one yet, but more glide and a less dumpy fade than the seasoned Resistor, so they don't overlap as much n the course as it might look on paper.
- 175g Neutron Resistor (Seasoned). Years of wear has made it longer and straighter than stock Resistors, but still no turn even into a stiff headwind. Go to disc for long approach hyzers, stiff headwind approaches, and medium range reliable hyzers. Also my go to medium range flick roller.
- 175g Neutron Resistor (new). Fresh, super beefy. Thrown when I want that reliable Resistor flight but I don't want to risk my seasoned Resistor (water holes etc.) or when I want a quick dump on a low line.

Long Range Drivers

- 175g Proton Insanity. Seasoned some. Long range hyzer flips, turnovers, tailwind drives etc. Goes very far.
- 175g Neutron Wrath. One of my favorite discs these days, such a straight and accurate driver for its wing width. Incredible combination of glide, high speed stability and a consistent but muted fade. Have more ready to rotate in once I beat this one up enough.
- 175g Neutron Photon. Moderately overstable distance workhorse. Longer than the Wrath with a beefier finish. Just a hair of high speed drift to the right. Wrath is to the Teebird what the Photon is to a beefy Eagle X, for example. Go to max range disc, while Wrath is the go to for controlled long range throws.
- 175g Neutron Energy. Newest addition to the bag. Still debating Whether I prefer it to the Fireballs I was bagging, or if I should carry both. Crazy huge skips, laughs at hurricane winds, and easy to punch through the 500' mark with flex lines on open holes.

Potential additions / changes to my bag:

- Matrix & Theory. Thinking about using this mid combo instead of the Axis and Vector for two main reasons. First, that seasoned Axis is pretty much impossible to replace, it took years to get it that way and it started out more US to begin with, so its a bit of a unicorn. Second, I love the rim shape of the Matrix, it feels much better than the Vector, especially for flicks. Main thing holding me back is the ~5 years experience I have with the two molds these would replace, as opposed to less than 20 rounds....

- Octane, Nitro, Catalyst, Thrill, Defy, Vanish. Still haven't gotten to give these a proper work-out in the field, but I'm sure at least one will be making the bag. Expecting to set some personal distance records with these.

- Electron Proxy. If / when these are released, I might putt with them instead of Ions. I use the Soft Proxy for one disc speed rounds quite often, and I enjoy putting with it. Who knows, Ions feel like home, so it could be I try out an E Proxy and decide its not for me. Could go either way.

- More OS putter. Hoping to see an Envy core disc with more overstability, to either compliment the Envy or maybe replace it depending on just how overstable it is. Not something I'm super anxious to see, as the Envy is typically OS enough for my needs. With how much the Proxy has been stealing shots from the Envy I wonder if having two molds with a wider gap between flights would be beneficial.

- Fireball VS Energy. As mentioned above, I was bagging Fireballs. They pair very well with Wraths, kind of like my Resistor / Crave combo. Not 100% sure on having the Energy replace them. Might swap the Energy for a Fireball, might carry both, we'll see. Probably depends on how OS the Nitro is.

- Photons? Prefer the feel in the hand compared to the wider rimmed drivers, but might end up feeling like its redundant to bag Wraths, Photos and Nitros (Or whatever distance molds I decide on). Who knows.

Last edited:
That 5% is enough to make me want an Electron Proxy. They don't feel or fly the same. Just how some people only putt with small bead aviars and don't like the feel of aviar PnA's.

- Matrix & Theory. Thinking about using this mid combo instead of the Axis and Vector for two main reasons. First, that seasoned Axis is pretty much impossible to replace, it took years to get it that way and it started out more US to begin with, so its a bit of a unicorn. Second, I love the rim shape of the Matrix, it feels much better than the Vector, especially for flicks. Main thing holding me back is the ~5 years experience I have with the two molds these would replace, as opposed to less than 20 rounds....
I've been thinking about this myself... partly because I would like a more understable mid than the Axis (I still sometimes carry a slightly beat Comet since I can't seem to keep an Axis long enough to beat it in properly), partly because I prefer to throw lighter weights. But I still like the larger diameter of the Axis/Vector better for a mid role, didn't click with tangent/theory class but I didn't really give them a fair chance either...

Axis in electron would be interesting to try, even better would be a new understable mold based on the Axis/Vector core. If that came around, I would stock up on Axis and Vectors, but there's no indications that any of those things will happen... so what I'm trying to say is that I'll be really interested in your experiences testing the matrix/theory combo, while still hoping for an understable Axis (the Angle?).

I've been thinking about this myself... partly because I would like a more understable mid than the Axis (I still sometimes carry a slightly beat Comet since I can't seem to keep an Axis long enough to beat it in properly), partly because I prefer to throw lighter weights. But I still like the larger diameter of the Axis/Vector better for a mid role, didn't click with tangent/theory class but I didn't really give them a fair chance either...

Axis in electron would be interesting to try, even better would be a new understable mold based on the Axis/Vector core. If that came around, I would stock up on Axis and Vectors, but there's no indications that any of those things will happen... so what I'm trying to say is that I'll be really interested in your experiences testing the matrix/theory combo, while still hoping for an understable Axis (the Angle?).

I'm lucky to have that beat Axis. If I didn't there is no way I could get by with the two midrange molds that I do, because they take forever to beat into that point. I don't like feeling limited throwing it at times because I'm worried about losing it and not being able to replace it. The way this Axis flies it what I'd want from an understable mid with the Axis core. It's not drastically different from the Tangent in flight aside from the wider diameter changing its properties a bit.

In this video the red and white Axis I throw is the beat one I've been bagging since Eclipse Axis launched:

Here's one throw showing how it flew when it was new. You can see it had a bit more turn than most Axis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQBK4azARN0&t=2m33s

One more throw with it. For me I'd consider it a power turnover mid. I can realy crank it and get a smooth turnover, where most turning mids require a little more finesse, like the Comets I used to bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMoyneg7u9s&t=1m40s - That's the second best drive I've had on that par 4.

While I haven't gotten a chance to film a round using both mids, I do have some individual videos of each:

The Theory is a bit more understable than that beat Axis, but I do enjoy how it flies. I have a Plasma & Watermelon Theory I plan to try out soon with the Matrix combo.

You should get mvp to scan that axis :) damn, that shot on 8 long...
What I love about the Axis is how easy it is to make it hold a shallow (or any) angle, or just flip gently straight, and how that doesn't really change as it wears just get accessible with less and less power. It's not really a turning mold, as you say. I've only had one axis I would consider flippy, and it was the least predictable of the bunch. I still tend to think of the Axis as the best Buzz, and they are similar in that regard as well.
No it's the lines, and the glide... I think the wing design has to be quite different from the Axis to create a real turning machine, but I think the larger diameter glide and gyroscopics has great potential vs the theory, nice as it was.
Final thought: I wonder at times about dropping a "just straight" disc from the bag. Straight Ion/Anode, Axis, Crave/Volt... but you know what? Sooner or later I'm reminded that there's a lot of straight shots in golf ;)

Last edited:
Straight discs have always been my favorite. I love manipulating flights with release angles as opposed to throwing really OS or US molds. Plus throwing BH and FH equal amounts I can cover nearly any line I need with them.

Got a chance to throw the MVP distance drivers!

Initial impressions are the Nitro is more OS than I expected, Octane was my favorite, and Catalyst surprised me with how controllable it felt. Typically the more US distance drivers like the Impulse, Orbital and Virus were more understable than I wanted, so I'd go with the more neutral understable molds like the Wave and Insanity.

Probabaly going to drop the Energy for Fireballs and bag the Nitro, Octane and Catalyst for max D. Gonna take more throws to be sure.

I'll post some fieldwork videos whenever I get a chance to edit them tonight or tomorrow.

Well maybe when I get my hands on a Proton Atom I can compare it head to head against a fresh Proxy :)

Anyways, the Matrix is making the bag. Probably replacing the Vector, with the rest staying the same. I was thinking of pairing it with the Theory since the rim shapes have a lot in common, but the Matrix is a good bit faster. Stability aside they throw pretty different. So I'm probably going Matrix / beat Axis for now, seeing how that combo works out.

Had a handful of throws with the Vanish, Thrill and Defy. Defy was my favorite of the bunch. Seems kind of like a longer Wrath. Not 100% sure on if any of these three are making the bag...gotta throw them a few more times before I can decide.

Well maybe when I get my hands on a Proton Atom I can compare it head to head against a fresh Proxy :)

:thmbup:

Yes please and make it on youtube! Here is too cold and too much snow to do anything but watch youtube videos! We need 2meters strings on discs, showels, snowshoes and riffle agains icebears at this time of year.

Ouch

:thmbup:

Yes please and make it on youtube! Here is too cold and too much snow to do anything but watch youtube videos! We need 2meters strings on discs, showels, snowshoes and riffle agains icebears at this time of year.

We have been under a ground freeze for about 30 days now, but no real snow. Finally getting 45-50 F and rain, so the thaw should start soon. Icebears? Canada, Alaska or Mtns?

We have been under a ground freeze for about 30 days now, but no real snow. Finally getting 45-50 F and rain, so the thaw should start soon. Icebears? Canada, Alaska or Mtns?

I ment polarbears, but i was a joke. Here in nothern Finland, we have average about 14F (-10c) couple days was -22f (-30c).

Putters

- 172g Electron Ion. Putts.
- 175g Soft Proxy.
- 175g Soft Envy
- 174g Plasma Envy.

Mids

- 178g Eclipse Axis (Beat).
- 179g Eclipse Axis (Fresh).
- 177g Matrix
- 178g Tensor (In the mail)

Fairway Drivers

- 175g Proton Inspire.
- 175g Neutron Crave (seasoned).
- 175 Neutron Crave (Fresh).
- 175g Neutron Resistor (Seasoned).
- 175g Neutron Resistor (new).

Long Range Drivers

- 175g Proton Insanity.
- 175g Neutron Wrath.
- 175g Neutron Fireball.
- 175g Neutron Energy.
- 175g Neutron Nitro.
- 175g Neutron Defy.
- 175g Neutron Octane.

Changes in bold

Sorted out which distance drivers I like. Lots of molds right now, which I'm not crazy about. I could see myself dropping one once I wear in some Nitros or a Defy. As it is I don't carry distance drivers for most courses besides Renny Gold and Winthrop, so that could take a while.

Actually finding both the Energy and Fireball useful. Energy does monster skips, the fireball is in a soft blend and sticks where it lands more often.

Mids are kind of up in the air. I like the Matrix a lot so I'd like to bag it, but I'm not sure how much I'll need the Axis once it beats in. Ordered a Tensor to try adding to the bag, and I might re-visit the Tangent as well. Put an eclipse in my field work bag. Might try to go Tensor / Matrix / Tangent and see how that works.

Mike

Too much to take in for a non mvp thrower.

Some simple advice. MVP/A. is an evolving company. Don't be afraid to go new molds. Not the case with like discraft and in. The new mold from MVP finally got me to take the company more seriously-matrix.

You know the company better than anyone. From my seasoned years of knowledge-keep it simple. Too many molds equals too many strokes.

Last edited:
Mike

Too much to take in for a non mvp thrower.

Some simple advice. MVP/A. is an evolving company. Don't be afraid to go new molds. Not the case with like discraft and in. The new mold from MVP finally got me to take the company more seriously-matrix.

You know the company better than anyone. From my seasoned years of knowledge-keep it simple. Too many molds equals too many strokes.

Completely agreed. Its easy to get attached to molds and be afraid to drop them in favor of new discs. I went through that with Volts being replaced by Craves and Wraths, and I often miss driving my gummy opaque proton Ions.

We've been getting great weather this month. I've been lucky being able to play so much. I'm confident that by mid March things will have settled down and I'll have figured out which molds to keep and which to drop.

Well I'm back to the Axis and Vector combo for now. Maybe when the OS Matrix cousin comes out I'll switch to that pairing, but for now its the trusty old molds. For me the Matrix excels at 200-325' forehand lines, which there are a lot of in Charlotte. Backhand I found it serviceable, but never a solid fit for the slot I was trying to fill. I like using my stable mid powered up backhand for 325-400' holes at times when I want to throw a line that's straight to fade with minimal fade and skip. The Matrix would get squirrely thrown backhand at that range, while the Vector can typically hold the line. The range between where I feel comfortable flicking an Envy and powering down a Crave forehand is pretty small, not big enough to carry the Matrix if that's the only thing it excels at over the Vector for me.

Ion // Atom / Proxy / Envy | Vector / Axis | Resistor / Crave / Inspire | Wrath / Insanity | Nitro / Defy / Octane

That's what I'm currently working with.

One thing to keep in kind is that I have a huge stable of Vectors and Axis to choose from, so I can easily double up on both molds. Carry a beat and fresh of each and cover an array of shots. I have an Axis I've bagged since they came out in Eclipse that's beat to flippy that I pair with a fresh stable Axis for example.

I plan to drop the Defy once I have a Nitro broken in enough, but right now it bridges the gap between the Nitro and Octane for me. I'll drop the Atom once the Proxy is released in baseline or I get a Soft N beat in enough, which will consolidate things a bit. Other than that I'm feeling pretty set.

Between a fresh Nitro and my Resistors I'm pretty set for OS drivers. I can add a Fireball or Energy if I feel like I'll need it for a given course or if its really windy that day, but I don't find myself utilizing either mold on a regular basis when I bag them so they're out for typical rounds.

Last edited:
thank you for all this input mike.

it is helping me choose my discs as well for similar (but shorter than your range) throws.

Glad you find it useful!

This was my setup today:

172g Soft Electron Ion
174g Soft Electron Ion

175g Soft Proxy x2
175g Soft Envy x2

178g Axis x2
178g Vector x2

175g Resistor
175g Crave x3 (Beat, fresh, plus a Plasma I'm testing to see where it fits).
175g Inspire

175g Fireball
175g Wrath
175g Insanity

175g Catalyst
175g Proton Octane
175g Nitro

Didn't use anything faster than a Crave today besides one hole where I flicked my Wrath. I left the Nitro, Octane and Catalyst behind.

The Octane is a Proton metal flake and its awesome, its freaky OS for an Octane so it fits perfectly between my Nitro cycle and my regular neutron Octanes.

The Catalyst isn't always in my bag, but I do find it useful. There were some steep uphill distance holes and strong tailwind open bombs at the courses I threw last week and the Catalyst came in handy. Day to day its more understable than I need out of a distance driver, but its finding its niche as a utility mold.

The Fireball comes and goes, but it really proved itself last week. The more I throw it, the more I think I need to make it a permanent member of my bag. It was working nicely for upshots at a wide open, long course I recently threw full of par 4's and 5's, where I often needed a controlled 250-350'hyzer on my second throw. It fills that longer Resistor role nicely, the plastic is the best driver plastic I've ever used, and its one of the more comfortable rim shapes to come out of Michigan.

I've also been looking at my old eclipse Volts, thinking about tossing one back in my bag. There aren't many times I need a step between my Crave and Wrath, but I can think of a few holes where it'd be a nice option to have. More HSS than a Crave, less LSS than a Wrath, so it gives me a nice and straight option for medium to long shots.

Well, lost my stable Axis. Got a replacement in the mail. Will be interesting seeing how close the fresh Axis is to my seasoned Vector.

With eclipse Octanes coming I plan to drop the Catalyst in favor of light E Octanes. I'll carry a max weight or two and some Nitros and that will be my max D setup for now. Curious to see how the new MVP / Axiom drivers fly for me and if any of them click better than my current combo.

Ordered an eclipse amp on a whim. I'm going to try Volts and Amps instead of Craves and Inspires for a bit. I was messing around with a FR Volt I found in the field and I was having fun, made me want to mess around with the speed 9's again. Doubt I'll actually switch over since I really like my Craves, but mixing it up can be fun.

Latest posts