• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Milwaukee County Parks Are Going P2P.

I love it if there is a year pass for all those courses.

Not as excited seeing they are contemplating a redesign of Brown Deer because of the schools practicing football out there.

I love it if there is a year pass for all those courses.

Not as excited seeing they are contemplating a redesign of Brown Deer because of the schools practicing football out there.

What at they thinking of changing? The holes in the fields?

Brown deer has so much potential...I would love to see some changes.

I see why so many of your are excited for this P2P business. But I see some downsides too...
I try to bring friends and family who are new to the sport with me as much as I can when I play around the Milwaukee area. It's hard enough to talk people into trying something new, I even let them use my discs, but if they are required to pay $ that may add to the list of reasons why they'd rather not come and play.

I see why so many of your are excited for this P2P business. But I see some downsides too...
I try to bring friends and family who are new to the sport with me as much as I can when I play around the Milwaukee area. It's hard enough to talk people into trying something new, I even let them use my discs, but if they are required to pay $ that may add to the list of reasons why they'd rather not come and play.

Milwaukee County Sports Complex is still going to be free, and is a fantastic beginner's course.

Milwaukee County Sports Complex is still going to be free, and is a fantastic beginner's course.

100% agree. If they like that course enough to continue, new players will not have any issues paying a few bucks to play a better course such as Brown Deer, Dretzka, etc.

As someone who was heavily involved with Madison's transition to P2P, this is nice to see. I especially like that they are keeping the 9-holer at the Sports Complex as one of the free courses. From the beginning of the Madison transition, we have been encouraging the City to develop one or more 9-hole courses that would remain free, while also still seeking improvements to Elver / Hiestand and development of additional championship-level P2P courses. It may help to show them that Milwaukee Co will leave some courses and practice areas free.

One suggestion I would have for anyone involved in this issue in Milwaukee Co is to waive the permit requirement for kids (15 or 16 and under), as both Madison and Dane County do. I'll try to send a message to Milw Co Parks directly to suggest this waiver. It may be a part of the plan already, but the flyer simply says "Starting in the spring of 2015, the Milwaukee County Parks will introduce a new permit fee for all disc golf players.".

I really don't like MSCS. It isn't bad as a beginner course, but last year it was so overgrown at times than any beginner may well lose a disc and turn them off for good. Abendschein and Valley View are both going to remain free for the time being. I would almost prefer Abendschein go to P2P because I fear it will only increase traffic and vandalism there.

As someone who was heavily involved with Madison's transition to P2P, this is nice to see. I especially like that they are keeping the 9-holer at the Sports Complex as one of the free courses. From the beginning of the Madison transition, we have been encouraging the City to develop one or more 9-hole courses that would remain free, while also still seeking improvements to Elver / Hiestand and development of additional championship-level P2P courses. It may help to show them that Milwaukee Co will leave some courses and practice areas free.

One suggestion I would have for anyone involved in this issue in Milwaukee Co is to waive the permit requirement for kids (15 or 16 and under), as both Madison and Dane County do. I'll try to send a message to Milw Co Parks directly to suggest this waiver. It may be a part of the plan already, but the flyer simply says "Starting in the spring of 2015, the Milwaukee County Parks will introduce a new permit fee for all disc golf players.".

If they do this hopefully they make it 12 and under. Courses flooded with immature high school kids are the worst. I know, because I used to be one.

A question I have been hearing a lot is what happens when say at Estabrook, people park on the fairways. During the summer around holidays, it happens. So now that we are paying, does this mean we can now ask them to move? Whereas before we had to share the park and they technically had as much right to it as us? Or will the people enforcing the passes tell them to move? I will buy a pass for my wife and I and see how it all shakes out.

Are they going to keep the tees clear during the winter, with all these additional funds?

I was at the meeting tonight and all things considered, I think it went pretty well. Thanks to everyone who could make it out and for speaking up. A lot of good points were brought up and hopefully some good things will come from it!

If anyone has any questions about what happened at the meeting, feel free to post or PM me.

And if any more information is released or if any links/surveys regarding the proposal become available, please keep me in the loop!!

The question about non-players being in the way on the course was brought up at the meeting tonight, and yes we can ask them to move. With the courses being P2P now, we can treat it the same as ball golf. It was stated that there will be signs posted notifying park patrons of the course areas requesting them to refrain from obstructing play.

Last edited:
As someone with zero experience in this area, I have to ask - are these fees for the parks themselves or just the courses? And if so, how are they collected? Do they pay some kid to sit in a box all summer?

The fees are just for the courses, as they are multi-use public parks. Not sure about what they'll be doing to "police" the course tho....likely a dropbox and the honor system.

On another note, just got my 2015 Milwaukee Co DG season pass in the mail yesterday!

Interesting article from Jim Stingl and posted on the front page of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel...

attachment.php

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwau...fees-out-of-bounds-b99533597z1-312250511.html

Attachments

• jsonline.jpg
    jsonline.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts