• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Milwaukee Recommendations

MHaas

Par Member
I've been spending a bit of time in Milwaukee for work lately and wanted to get some course recommendations. I've played Estabrook (not bad), Brown Deer (loved it) and Dretzka (loved it) so far. I was eyeballing Root River as a possibility for this week's trip, any others I should consider?

If you loved Brown Deer and Dretzka, you will love Root River. (Dretzka was my favorite when i lived there, my review says why)

UW Parkside is worth the drive, and it actually has 2 courses, the lovely technical 18-holes on campus, and the 21 hole "Orchid" course thats more rough-cut, longer prairie course with some par 4s.

If you are willing to drive a little farther, Zobel Park in Green Lake is excellent, as is Bird's Ruins in Marshall (just east of Madison, which has several nice courses, with more terrain than Milwaukee)

Have NOT played Red or Grey Fox, but I've heard good things. I have reviewed a bunch of WI (and NE-IL and NW-IN) courses if you want to go further away from Milwaukee. Hope you realzie how lucky you are, you are surrounded LOOOOOOOTS of good options.

Stoney Creek DGC! The reviews are mostly from when it was a 9 hole course. They installed the back 9 last year and it is impressive! Still a work in progress but definitely worth a trip 30 minutes north of MKE.

Rolling ridge, winter park and Manitowoc are a good day trip.

Heritage trails is remodeled and is awesome. About 15 minutes north west of Dretzka. Avoid dineen. Dretzka has leagues on Tuesday, Heritage on Thursday. Then go back and play Brown Deer again.

Root River has become a nice course. Stoney Creek and Silver Fox are also a lot of fun to play. I haven't been to the Grey and Red Fox since they were logging to see how they are now but they were nice in the past. Brown Deer is definitely a fun place and my favorite Milwaukee course. Others I stated are not in Milwaukee.

You could always take the hr and 10 min drive to Fairfield in Illinois...a true championship course and well worth the drive. Just get there early.

Heritage is mostly open and kinda boring. If you're going north, Stoney Creek is the spot. Grey Fox and Silver Fox are both fun spins.

Many other solid options listed above that are farther away. But yeah, Brown Deer is awesome, especially when the baskets are in the longs.

Stoney Creek DGC! The reviews are mostly from when it was a 9 hole course. They installed the back 9 last year and it is impressive! Still a work in progress but definitely worth a trip 30 minutes north of MKE.

This. Go to Fredonia and play this. On the way up you could play a nice 9 hole in Grafton, Lime Kiln. Then go 5 miles more north to Tendick in Saukville, then a couple miles more to Stoney Creek. Nice day trip.

Thanks for the insight everybody. Looking like I'll have time for just one round this trip after work tonight (went to the Brewers game last night instead). It's down to Stoney Creek or Root River, but sounds like Stoney is the choice.

Looking around on here and elsewhere online, I don't see a course map for Stoney. Is navigation tricky out there or will I be able to find my way around?

Looking around on here and elsewhere online, I don't see a course map for Stoney. Is navigation tricky out there or will I be able to find my way around?

Navigation is pretty straightforward. When you get there to the parking lot, you'll see a little kiosk area by the practice basket. Hole one starts there and throws to the hill. You work your way west along the hill on holes 1-6. 7's short tee is on the other side of the walking path (long tee is on the same side as holes 1-6). Hole 8 is the first of the newer holes and the last with a concrete tee (unless they very recently added more), and takes you into the woods. I don't think there are any next tee signs, but it is always pretty obvious which way to go back there, and there are no long walks between holes. Most holes on the back only have 1 tee, and all are natural except one rubber mat.

P.S. Watch your step - there are a lot of trip hazards here still as they work on cleaning up the fairways. And bring a disc retriever if you have one, you play over the same creek 5-6 times.

If you want a more finished/polished course, Tendick is great.

Honestly Id go to Root River, it is starting to challenge Brown Deer and Dretzka for fun and playabilty. Brown Deer and Dretzka have history behind them and are both great courses but root river is coming into the picture in a fast and big way.

Honestly Id go to Root River, it is starting to challenge Brown Deer and Dretzka for fun and playabilty. Brown Deer and Dretzka have history behind them and are both great courses but root river is coming into the picture in a fast and big way.

This:thmbup: great course

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the input, ended up playing Root River and loved it, great course. Probably beat me up worse than any of the other Milwaukee courses I played.

Couldn't really find a great thread to post this in, but I played Root River for the first time today and wow. We played the long tees and it was challenging. Why does no one talk about this course? Even the reviews for it aren't great, but it was a great combination of tough wooded holes and some open bombers where you can still get into trouble if you aren't careful. That course was just as fun/challenging as the other more popular Milwaukee courses.

Latest posts