• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mini markers suck

After all its a game of inches.

It's a game of confidence. ;-)

Paul McBeth doen't use a mini when putting. If being one disc diameter closer would get him better scores, he surely would use a mini. It's only psychological. For hitting the putt it doesn't matter. For drives even less. I wonder why almost all players bother with the mini at all. It's so much easier (and in practice of no scoring difference) if you use it only in situations where you have to use it (like after going OB or when using the same disc again).

placing a mini gives me something to do while i wait for others to putt

It's a game of confidence. ;-)

Paul McBeth doen't use a mini when putting. If being one disc diameter closer would get him better scores, he surely would use a mini. It's only psychological. For hitting the putt it doesn't matter. For drives even less. I wonder why almost all players bother with the mini at all. It's so much easier (and in practice of no scoring difference) if you use it only in situations where you have to use it (like after going OB or when using the same disc again).

We can't infer why McBeth doesn't use a mini without asking him. There are different reasons. I asked Nathan 'Don't call me Nate' McQueen why he doesn't use a mini. (it was a couple of years ago...so I probably don't recall his exact wording). He said that placing the mini breaks his rhythm. As he walks up to his lie he is planning his next shot and watching the line he plans on using. If he were to put a mini down, it would break up his rhythm/thoughts and take his eyes off his line. He does use a mini if it would improve his footing; like if a his foot would be on a rock or root and a mini would allow him to have a better stance.

I'm guessing some like to use the mini as it takes their focus off their immediate throw and let's them take a breath and reset.

Unless you're throwing the same disc, I'm an advocate of using a mini in relatively few places.
There are some odball situations where the diameter of the disc can improve your lie, footing, visibility, line. Happens more often on very wooded courses with lots of protruding roots, where a few inches one way or the other feels completely different.

But if your of the mindset that placing your lie 21cm closer to the basket, makes a difference on a wide open C1 putt... you're already losing the mental game.

Last edited:
But I can also see, how once a player gets used to placing a mini all the time, not doing it can break their rhythm.

I wonder how many players actually use a mini marker to give themselves a few inches/centimeters closer. It might just be that a mini marker in the line of sight is less distracting than a disc. It could be just to gain improved footing. It could just be in the chance they walk away from their marker, they would rather lose a mini marker than leave a disc behind (I've been on cards where that happened....usually in bushes).

Hmmm, maybe a good topic for a poll....if someone cared enough about the results.

Do you use a mini marker to get 21 cm closer to the target?
Yes..
No...I never use a mini marker
No...but I use a mini marker for other reasons (explained in comments).

I never used to use a mini to mark lies, then I stopped playing for a decade, and now that I've started again I started using my mini. I did it with the intent of trying to build a routine for my approaches. Like others have said, it's mostly a mental thing, and for me the mental aspect is just trying to maintain routine to support focus. It just takes me out of my head when I find my lie, place my mini, toss the disc I just threw to the left, and then approach my shot. As far as the size goes, I don't really notice it in my pocket when I'm throwing. I suppose having a completely flat mini made of something like neoprene, or leather or something with some flex would be kind of cool though.

We can't infer why McBeth doesn't use a mini without asking him. There are different reasons. I asked Nathan 'Don't call me Nate' McQueen why he doesn't use a mini. (it was a couple of years ago...so I probably don't recall his exact wording). He said that placing the mini breaks his rhythm. As he walks up to his lie he is planning his next shot and watching the line he plans on using. If he were to put a mini down, it would break up his rhythm/thoughts and take his eyes off his line. He does use a mini if it would improve his footing; like if a his foot would be on a rock or root and a mini would allow him to have a better stance.

I'm guessing some like to use the mini as it takes their focus off their immediate throw and let's them take a breath and reset.

I remember McBeth recently saying that not playing with a mini eliminates unecessary effort (being over and placing, bending over and picking up) that add up over the course of a round (I thinhe even mentioned a number, so he's clearly thought about it). Whether or not you think that effort adds to fatigue, it's an interesting approach to eliminate unecessary things, efforts, actitivies when playing competitively - and it sort of fits when you think of Paul's overall on camera demeanor and approach.

I remember McBeth recently saying that not playing with a mini eliminates unecessary effort (being over and placing, bending over and picking up) that add up over the course of a round (I thinhe even mentioned a number, so he's clearly thought about it). Whether or not you think that effort adds to fatigue, it's an interesting approach to eliminate unecessary things, efforts, actitivies when playing competitively - and it sort of fits when you think of Paul's overall on camera demeanor and approach.

This makes sense to me. I injured my back in the military and notice my energy levels waning quite a bit on practice rounds where I throw two off the tee. I only use a mini if I need the disc that I just threw. To me, the length of a disc closer to the basket is not going to help me not suck.

Originally Posted by HyooMac View Post

Originally Posted by Brockness Monster
This makes sense to me. I injured my back in the military and notice my energy levels waning quite a bit on practice rounds where I throw two off the tee. I only use a mini if I need the disc that I just threw. To me, the length of a disc closer to the basket is not going to help me not suck.

I'm of this mindset....my back doesn't like me constantly bending over. I only use a mini marker if I want to throw the same disc, it gives me better footing, or if I'm putting from within circle 1 (gives me a mental advantage).