• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Modified ball gold cart for disc golf backpack...

The Mickstar

Berg Gang
I had a really nice ball golf push cart that wasn't being used, and my shoulder has been bugging me, so...

Works great!

Edit: Apparently I can't fix the typo in the title.

Attachments

• 20230405_110216.jpg
    20230405_110216.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 80
Looks very similar to the rig a few of my buddies use. I use a 2 wheeled version. Cost me $24.99 used at PIAS. IMO it is actually better than the ones made for disc golf in some ways- ground clearance being the first. Nowhere to sit on it though.

IMO it is actually better than the ones made for disc golf in some ways- ground clearance being the first. Nowhere to sit on it though.

I tried a few different models of Zuca cart before deciding to modify my cart. This one definitely rolls more smoothly than any of the Zuca carts I tried. And the push design is superior, IMO.

I'm sure I can come up with a way to integrate a small folding stool attachment if I ever see the need.

For the few dollars I have invested in hardware and the time it took to modify, I couldn't be happier with it. And everything is reversible if I ever decide to start playing ball golf again.

3 wheeled carts work great. Not much modding needed to make them work as well or better than a rovic. I have a Sun Mtn Speedcart much like yours (I have never gotten into caring to understand the model versions for them). They dont fold up nearly as small as some which is my biggest gripe. Some of the 4 wheeled ones fold up much smaller.

My top two tips for modding them for a bag:

1) Flip the "arms" that hold the upper bag to opposite sides. This way they bend out instead of in. This gives you a wider top support. You can even just hang a backpack from them and call it done if you like.

2) Don't get too complicated for a lateral support if you want/need one. I literally took a ~2' length of PVC and screwed it to the frame. It does a great job keeping the bag from flopping side to side. If you only are using 1 bag with the cart and don't have side pocket restrictions you can even toss a couple 90* elbows and stubs on it to hold it in place. Just remember anything you add keeps it from folding as small. A platform like the OPs works great as well.

3) try not to rely on bungie cords to hold things on/together. They are just unreliable. Some nylon strap the right length and carabiners work great. I tend to just use a few carabiners. Straps to hold on my optional putter pouch.

4) If you have one or find one cheap old school quad strap type bags work great on carts. I rock my old Gorilla boy "Gorilla" bag, the predecessor to the Kong.

I don't take much for pictures, but this was a mock up using my spider monkey as a putter bag. Remembering that combo I may like this more than I do the infinite putter pouch I have been using on the top. This appears to be before I added the PVC to hold the bag a little more stable.

52797090032_a9e7cd4e75_z.jpg

My top two tips for modding them for a bag:

1) Flip the "arms" that hold the upper bag to opposite sides. This way they bend out instead of in. This gives you a wider top support. You can even just hang a backpack from them and call it done if you like.

52797090032_a9e7cd4e75_z.jpg

Sun Mountain must have changed the design of the Speed Cart at some point. Specifically, the upper support bracket on my cart (which is ~20 years old) didn't have those "arms" like yours. It was simply a rounded plastic cradle and wide velcro strap. I removed that cradle and installed a small eyebolt into the hole that was left after removing the bracket. I use a nylon strap with quick release buckles through the eyebolt and the carry handle on the backpack.

The only other attachment is a short piece of paracord through another eyebolt on the wooden base piece I added and threaded through the nylon loop on the bag. (You can see this near the "D" in "Dynamic" on the embroidered logo.)

It's very quick & easy to set up/tear down for transport, and, so far, I haven't had any issues with the bag bouncing or moving around.

There's definately been a couple generations of this cart. I have had this for 5 or 6 years bought used. It's a "Sun Mountain Speed Cart V2" The arms actually got somewhat poor reviews as the bag wasn't really held in, especially if you didn't tighten the thumb screw limiters. They do translate well to DG bags though. The versions are confusing to learn about since I think both series ran side by side a while and they eventually eliminated the V2 and came out with more V1 upgrades. Trying to look up more info the current ones look a lot more like yours without the arms and with more of a platform on the bottom.

My friends with the Bag Boy Quad series carts (more like what Koling uses) like them a lot. I like pushing them and they fold up smaller. Not as comfy to tip and pull as my cart though.

All of them can be adapted with a little experimentation/creativity and (especially pre covid golf resurgance) can be found for $20-$75 used if you are patient. Sure beats a new Rovic.

Other upgrades! Great idea to do the pool noodle/pipe insulation tubeless upgrade. These don't have to hold much weight so you don't need a ton of pressure. Taking the tires off, putting foam pipe insulation in and resetting the bead and they roll great, air or not. Lots of carts use a tubeless design and a foam/rubber tire over plastic wheel and this is unnecessary.

I have seen some seat upgrades, umbrella holders, built in coolers, wired for speakers all kind of fun options. My cart has a built in seat and umbrella holder, I also really only use it for tourneys so I haven't experimented a ton. Love seeing others solutions and customizations though. I also dream of scratch building a pull cart someday too.

I know theres a couple threads about strollers here (that may as well gotten landfilled), but I don't see one for converted golf push carts. I know a lot of people use them, even if they are outnumbered by purpose built carts these days. Would be cool to see more. Maybe I wish the "Cart Pictures/Ideas" sticky was more active.

I think its good to have a specific thread for this type of conversion. I can get some pics of my setup for people to reference.

I use clamps to hold my bag up higher on a ClicGear. I have back/hip issues and needed to stop bending over to get discs and swinging a bag over one shoulder.

In the summer I'll bungee cord a small cooler on the front bracket, but this latest model has a small detachable pocket on the back with a zippered three-can cooler. It wasn't cheap but neither is back surgery.

It will go anywhere, at least anywhere an old man can, and functions better than a Zuca over rough terrain. All set up it looks pretty impressive.

Here is a pic of my first basic model but I upgraded to one with a hand brake. I took this rig through several mountain CO courses. My only complaint is I'd like to have inflatable wheels.

picture.php

I use clamps to hold my bag up higher on a ClicGear. I have back/hip issues and needed to stop bending over to get discs and swinging a bag over one shoulder.

I took this rig through several mountain CO courses.

picture.php

I actually thought about mounting my bag higher, like what you did. I was worried about it being less stable with the weight up that high. Sounds like my concerns were unfounded. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Looks very similar to the rig a few of my buddies use. I use a 2 wheeled version. Cost me $24.99 used at PIAS. IMO it is actually better than the ones made for disc golf in some ways- ground clearance being the first. Nowhere to sit on it though.

Rovic/ClicGear makes this seat....only issue is compatibility. I'm not sure if it would work with your ball golf cart or not.

http://rovicgolf.com/accessories/rv1c-seat.php

The stool I used to set my bag on now clicks into the umbrella holder on the frame of my cart. I never use it but it's there if I ever feel like playing a tournament again.

I actually thought about mounting my bag higher, like what you did. I was worried about it being less stable with the weight up that high. Sounds like my concerns were unfounded. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

I did have some stability issues at first. I made a small modification to how far the handle can rotate before it locks into place and the weight of the pocket/cooler down low helps as well. My second cart has a smaller wheelbase and is a few inches shorter but somehow balances better. I did end up creating a 'shelf' to steady the bag from swinging side to side but it can also be secured from the back.

I really should post some recent pics. If you are more concerned with comfort over cost this has been a great setup for me.

I'm thinking about going to a push cart, but I have a concern. Width. My home course has a footbridge over a river and half of the course is on either side of the river. The bridge isn't terribly wide. I have a Zuca AT style cart with saddle bags and it's probably about 80% of the width of the bridge.

So my question is how wide are push carts like the Rovic or Bag Boy Quad? (or similar carts) And how hard is it to get these up and down a dozen steps?

I am not sure about cross compatibility, but ball golf ClicGear carts have a full inventory of attachments, including a seat that looks like the Rovic seat.

That's because ClicGear makes the Rovic. It keeps ball golf (ClicGear) and disc golf (Rovic) as separate businesses.

I'm thinking about going to a push cart, but I have a concern. Width. My home course has a footbridge over a river and half of the course is on either side of the river. The bridge isn't terribly wide. I have a Zuca AT style cart with saddle bags and it's probably about 80% of the width of the bridge.

So my question is how wide are push carts like the Rovic or Bag Boy Quad? (or similar carts) And how hard is it to get these up and down a dozen steps?

I have the 4-wheel push cart and it isn't as wide as my buddy's Zuca.

Latest posts