• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] More stable Aviar PnA?

I have had a star Aviar P&A, and I do have a champion Aviar P&A, and they are the same stability as a dx Aviar P&A. Actually, when thrown on a drive, my champion Aviar is much less stable than my dx. Both are pretty much seasoned the same.

Conventional wisdoms would say the premium plastics would be more overstable, but that isn't what I have found.

I don't know what's up with your discs, but the Star Aviars are almost always more overstable than the DX Aviars. I haven't thrown champs, but I've thrown multiple DX's and multiple Stars. It's the same reason all other discs in DX are more understable. The rougher plastic has more air friction which causes more high speed turn and a slower fade. Science!!

(As far as putting goes, the differences are much smaller.)

are you talking about strictly for putting or for throwing/approach shots as well? i think the ringer is the best suggestion out of everything, given the stability and also being low-profile.

i use pna aviars as well (not for anywhere near as long as you have, granted) and have found that you have to give them more hyzer and putt with a bit more spin to get a more overstable type line from them.

if you imagine the arc of the line for a putt, with a more overstable putter you are typically going to putt it flat to about 60-70% from the release and let the fade of the disc carry it to the basket. with a less overstable disc, you want to release it with more hyzer but aim at a point on the arc closer to you - 30-40% - and allow it to glide out on the natural fade of the flight.

I picked up a rubberwood aviar P&A and it has the stability of a wizard. It also is kinda stiff yet has the r-pro grippyness to bite the chains.

I use PnA's for putting inside the circle and thats what Ill use the new putters for. I have just been missing SO many putts to the right that I want to try something more stable/overstable. Its probably user error on my part for the missing right putts but I dont want to think so.

I use PnA's for putting inside the circle and thats what Ill use the new putters for. I have just been missing SO many putts to the right that I want to try something more stable/overstable. Its probably user error on my part for the missing right putts but I dont want to think so.

I know for a fact my missed putts were user error....but, I changed to the DX Aviars from JK Aviars and I've been putting way better.

Now, i don't think it has anything to do with my buying a basket at the same time as my new aviars and practicing putts every night.......no, it has to be the discs..haha

If you finish right(rh putt?) it's potentially from a few things. Opening your hand that direction(spin putting), opening your shoulder right(not following through to the target), or your hips are aimed right(should be at basket/pole). Each of those is based on issues with each style: spin, push, pitch

I have used a DX Aviar p&a as my only putter since I started playing. Several months ago I went through a phase of trying different putters. Tried a JK Aviar, Pig, Rhyno, P2, and a Wizard. I made a lot of putts with all of them, but they never felt comfortable in my hand. The Pig and the Rhyno were just too overstable. The P2 had too deep of a rim, and I never got used to the bead on the Wizard or the JK. So I went back to the p&a realizing that any missed putts were because of me and not the disc. I still carry the Rhyno (XG Champ) in my bag, awesome approach disc. I did hold an Anode a couple weeks ago, very similar feel to an Aviar p&a.

I putted with DX P&As for the first three years that I played. I made the move to the JK for putting as the bead didn't bother me at all. The transition was very easy and it served the same purpose for me that you're looking for. Too bad you don't dig the bead.

I also throw Star P&As for drives and approaches. For me, the Stars have always been closer to stable, or even a little over-stable, compared to my understable DXs.

I also have a Champion P&A, but don't have enough throws in on it to judge its' flight. I can tell you that I don't mind the feel of the plastic, though, since it has the blunt/thick putter rim and doesn't have to be gripped as tightly as a driver (from my experience and form).

I wish you well in your quest!

Im looking to try a new putter. Ive been putting PnA's FOREVER and I feel like I need something more stable/overstable. I dont like big beads and would like a low profile. I need some suggestions please. Ive been looking at a Vibram Ridge but would like to hear if there's something else out there I should try.

Have you tried the PnA in a premium plastic?

I threw DX Aviars until I found the opto Pure. Best driving putter around.

Starting to agree. I used to drive with ions but the pure stays true like no other putters ive thrown. Sweet disc, glad i bought one. A lot of times i hear things about a disc, try it out, and sell it the same day. The pure made it into my bag.

That being said, i cant help the op. I use stable/understable putters.. sorry!

I threw DX Aviars until I found the opto Pure. Best driving putter around.

It is indeed great off the tee, but I have to admit I was reaching for my Mercy a lot more often the other day. It flew straight down the fairway and sat down next to the pin time and time again.

Loving both the Pure and Mercy so much, I'm wondering why it took me so long to try Latitude's putters.

Im looking to try a new putter. Ive been putting PnA's FOREVER and I feel like I need something more stable/overstable. I dont like big beads and would like a low profile. I need some suggestions please. Ive been looking at a Vibram Ridge but would like to hear if there's something else out there I should try.

Buy a stack of new ones...

Wow! This is alot of information to digest....

I do use DX PnA's and didnt think about trying a star one, wouldnt like putting with champ plastic though. Ive also thought about trying challengers and zones. Will maybe get one of each (challengers/zones) and go from there. Thanks ALOT for all the info as this is a big deal for me after putting with the same mold for 10+ years.

I started with a DX PnA, and switched to a dyed Star PnA. It is my main putter. However, about a year ago I got a Champion PnA and found it was better in the wind and it is not as beat in as the Star. The feel in the hand of the Champion is pretty good. I only use the putters for approach and putts.

I also try from time to time the Warlock and Wizard. I like them both and have them in really flexible plastic. There is also a local course where the baskets are often on the sides of hills and severe slopes. I usally carry an Omega Super Soft for that course. It is slightly more stable than my PnA but feels very similar in the hand.

Latest posts