• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] More stable: Gstar vs Pro

seedlings

* Ace Member *
I have one Gstar disc, a Teebird 3. I've never thrown Pro plastic at all. Can someone tell me if one or the other plastic is more stable? I know about champion, Star and DX, but wasn't sure about these two. I've read that Gstar and Pro aren't as understable as DX, but less stable than Star. If possible, please only compare Gstar with Pro (and not another plastic).

Disc and probably run dependent. Thunderbird they are about the same, Valkyrie G* is more stable. Since a Teebird is closer to a Thunderbird I'd guess that Pro will be pretty close to G*.

Starting out it's sort of disc dependent, but G* beats in a bit slower.

I agree that G* beats in slowly. Whatever flight you get out of G* plastic right away, it'll maintain that flight for a long while. I feel like G* beats in very gracefully.

Pro is a different story. Pro can start out initially beefy, but that'll go away fast. High speed drivers in pro plastic tend to lose stability very quickly.

If I had to pick between the two plastics, I'd take G*.

Pro is better for guys who like to beat discs in and see flight changes over time.

I agree that G* beats in slowly. Whatever flight you get out of G* plastic right away, it'll maintain that flight for a long while. I feel like G* beats in very gracefully.

Pro is a different story. Pro can start out initially beefy, but that'll go away fast. High speed drivers in pro plastic tend to lose stability very quickly.

If I had to pick between the two plastics, I'd take G*.

Pro is better for guys who like to beat discs in and see flight changes over time.

If I have this right:
Off the shelf, they are similar stability
In 20 rounds, the Pro will be less stable (possibly damaged)

If I have this right:

More or less yes, in higher speed discs in particular you may see a beefy pro disc, but it won't be that way after it meets a few trees.

Pro has inconsistencies as well in how stiff it is and how fast it breaks in. I got this very stiff Pro Leo that hasn't changed hardly at all over a couple years, wearing more like Star. Then you may find the complete opposite and a gummier version that almost breaks in fast/warps like R Pro as well.

I like Pro if I can find the right blend. GStar is more consistent for sure.

If I have this right:

Pro probably won't be physically damaged (unless you throw your discs off sidewalks or other pavement frequently). Pro plastic often begins losing stability despite any visible damage.

Pro also tends to randomly warp and lose shape.

My experience (Leopard, Wraith, Valk) is that GStar starts more overstable than pro, but less overstable than star.

For stiffness and feel. Pro plastic has kind of a catch all distinction going for it. My two best examples of that is comparing a pro leopard to a pro gazelle. That said. At least the g-star plastic is consistent.

If I have this right:

You got the gist of it.

Don't sleep on G* though. It stays true to it's original flight better than Pro for a lot longer, but the trade off is the guminess of the plastic. It's not for everyone. Flopiness is a better word maybe. Pro plastic is the best feeling plastic in general for me. But as others have said, It may fly completely differently after even 10 rounds.

This probably has more to do with my expectations, but I'm always surprised by the stability of Pro. It also beats in a lot slower than I expect. This is probably because I throw a lot of DX and a lot of people here (that probably don't throw DX) put those plastics together.

I find GStar unthrowable 6+ months of the year, but is really nice in 40-60 degree weather.

Pro has inconsistencies as well in how stiff it is and how fast it breaks in. I got this very stiff Pro Leo that hasn't changed hardly at all over a couple years, wearing more like Star. Then you may find the complete opposite and a gummier version that almost breaks in fast/warps like R Pro as well.

I like Pro if I can find the right blend. GStar is more consistent for sure.

Pro for sure is very run dependent it seems. Those Pro Leos you speak of for sure are the good pro - like tackier Star initially, then after plenty of use or age you eventually think to yourself "oh yeah, this is definitely Pro" but it's still amazing.

I have found some pretty crappy pro though too - like transitional from R-Pro (not a fan) or Pro that just comes out really "plasticy," like a dollar store toy. Had a pro Tern like that - flat as a pancake, no glide, just flip.

Latest posts