• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mosquitoes

Fatbackbob

Birdie Member
This spring the mosquitoes at our wooded course in Memphis are the worst they have ever been.

Makes the course nearly unplayable.

Any fix for a large piece of wooded land to clear our mosquitoes?

Anything not extremely expensive?

Thanks!
Robby

oh man, I feel ya on this one.. The Forest was almost unplayable this weekend, Bud Hill didn't eat me up too bad though.

my buddy and I 'joked' about bringing his fogger next time

get one of those small spritzer type OFF bottles. it's about 99% DEET. Don't use on kids or spray near discs or vehicles. That stuff will take paint off. Costs about $5 or so.

Sit in one spot for about 3 hours, kill every mosquito that you can, this should warrant enough time and mosquito corpses to fill a decent sized cereal bowl. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and sugar, stir in some milk and enjoy a hearty breakfast of mosquitoes every morning. While you're playing you will sweat out an emanating odor of mosquito death which will keep away all other mosquitoes.

Sit in one spot for about 3 hours, kill every mosquito that you can, this should warrant enough time and mosquito corpses to fill a decent sized cereal bowl. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and sugar, stir in some milk and enjoy a hearty breakfast of mosquitoes every morning. While you're playing you will sweat out an emanating odor of mosquito death which will keep away all other mosquitoes.

this is true

Not that this will make any difference, but don't eat bananas during mosquito seasons. They produce something in your skin that really attracks mosquitos. Sorry I am so vague, but it has been year since I read the research on that. I am sure you can look it up if you need to.

Also, does anyone know about those little red/orange card like things I've seen hanging in the trees that are supposed to control mosquitos?

I'm curious what this spritzer bottle of 99% deet made by OFF.

Anyone have a link to it?

I know 2012 is supposed to be the end of the world. Well, I foolishly keep attaching anything I notice as "new" to the end of the world...

Baby Squirrels have run up to my group and let us pick them up at two different tournaments this month - END OF THE WORLD - they're trying to tell us something perhaps?

More MOSQUITOES at my home course than I thought EXISTED globally right now - END OF THE WORLD

Windiest spring ever so far and it's killing my scores because I can't putt in the wind - END OF THE WORLD

If you want to get rid of mosquitos you need to drain the standing water. Good luck

In terms of DEET, I have read that any concentration above 25% is simply overkill and ineffective. DEET absorbs through your skin and can cause blood poisoning. I was in Churchill Manitoba about 10 years ago for a field camp and we had all these student just layering on 98% deet 5-6 times a day. A scientist told me there were roughly 50 lbs of man eating insects per acre....wild. Anyway, after 2-4 days the heavy deet users started dropping like flies with flu like symptoms. DEET poisoning.

Best to wear long pants and shirts. Linen works great

If you think they mosquitoes are bad in TN, come to minnesota in about a month. They'll be so thick you cant see your hand extended in front of your face :|

The state bird of MN should be changed to the mosquito.

Try rubbing yourself with and carrying name brand dryer sheets on your person. It seems to keep them away.

REALLY?!?!?! I will try this... a MUCH better alternative to smelling/feeling like mosquito repelant all day