• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Embarrassing Disc Golf Moment

DiscinOhio

Bogey Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Story time! Every seasoned disc golfer has had their fair share of embarrassing moments out on the course. From slipping down hills, to hitting a tree right in front of you, everyone has something. What is your most embarrassing moment on a disc golf course?

Just realized I put this in the wrong category, should go in general disc golf chat. Oops...

Story time! Every seasoned disc golfer has had their fair share of embarrassing moments out on the course. From slipping down hills, to hitting a tree right in front of you, everyone has something. What is your most embarrassing moment on a disc golf course?

I hit a tree once. still remember it to this day.

Many years ago / decades... the buddies and I decided to go to the park and play a round of 18 holes in one of my earliest rounds of disc golf. We decided to take a few hits... partake if you will... before we started the round. On the first basket hole one I stepped up to a 5ft. putt... thoughts racing, heart pounding, vision blurring, hands sweating ...missed by 5ft. and was laughed at loudly by all my buddies. Too this day I never play a competitive round of disc golf high on anything. I have aways felt that not partaking gives me the best chance at winning. Moreover no problem if my compeditors partake however... advantage to me.

PS. Also "Dude Where's My Disc?"

Being a pretty awkward person in general I ve had several awkward moments, frisbee in hand. Ive definitely slipped down some hills, and hit plenty of trees but both of my most embarassing moments come from 2 of the 3 tournaments ive played (then again its hard to get embarrased playing alone with noone witnesses my dumbness).

Story 1: Its my first tourney ever- 2016 Carollton Open, I show up super nervous, talk to no-one, listen to the morning intros and at some point they give the announcement for everyone to come grab the cards. I have no idea whats going on but people are grabbing scorecards like mad so I assume thats what I'm supposed to do so I excitedly walk up and grab what I assume to be a random blank scorecard. I quickly notice there are names on this scorecard and none of them are mine...:doh: Now i have a card from a hole that Im unsure of AND i have no idea what card Im actualy on! I suddenly realize what Ive done and shamefully go back to the scene of the crime hoping the TD can help me figure it out.

Story 2: Its my 3rd tourney ever, 2017 Fahrenheit Fling, the temps are over 100 and it hits me on #17 of the first round when my nose starts to pour blood. I get nose bleeds all the time so this is nothing new and Im able to play through it mostly unaffected, but this is the first time Ive got a nose bleed while playing DG and of course its in front of 4 other people. I get a nose tampon in place but not before having to putt out with a full drip. Same thing happens round 2, but this time closer to mid round so I end up playing several holes with the ever-attractive nose tampon. My card mates were cool about it but i could tell they were a little grossed out.

I would say that the most embarrassed I've ever been was when I got to play Flip City for the first time.

I had heard/read so many great things about Bill and his course so I was thrilled when I finally got the chance to play one of the top rated courses in the world. My family and I drive up in the early morning and Bill meets us by the first tee (which I've heard is pretty common). We say our hellos and get the round underway. About 12 holes in, Bill was mowing the lawn and stops to watch us at the tee. He says something along the lines of "show me what you got" and I'm so nervous to be in his presence that my intended forehand hyzer turned into an anhyzer forehand roller that rolled way, way the wrong way. He says "Well, that's one route you could take" and hops back onto his lawnmower. He was really chill, but I was mortified about how I made myself out to look like such a noob. Still remember it like it was yesterday even though it was years ago...

Every time I throw is embarrassing for me. I delayed getting a bag because I was so embarrassed.

Then, everybody told me my Walmart disc set (9.86+ tax) was crap. (Took me a month to get used to them)
Because of the feedback from the cheap discs, I went ahead & got an innova starter set to be here Wed/thurs.

I have $500 that says I cant throw 120 feet consistently regardless of the discs.

And that inability kills my chances at par on 3-4 of my courses 12. Not saying I can always get par on the others, but I have a chance if I don't hit a tree. On the harder holes, it doesn't matter how good I throw, par 3 is not happening.

My introduction to disc golf was in Alamosa, Colorado. My wife and I were geocaching in a city park, and wondered what the odd contraptions were sticking out of the ground. We eventually came across a disc lying on the ground, and of course reached down to pick it up and examine it. At some point it occurred to us what was going on, and we looked up to see a guy standing a couple of hundred feet away waiting for us to put his disc back on the ground. I still cringe when I think about it...

I've never been a great or even necessarily good player, but I hit a stride and felt I was improving for a while. After moving to Colorado and playing lots of nearby free courses I scheduled a tee time at a new private course. There I received a harsh reminder that if you don't keep improving your form and knowledge of discs, you might be in trouble. I didn't expect to play great but was definitely embarrassed when I played my worst rounds in months with 3 much better players. Alas

My First Round
I had been interested in disc golf for a long time, but I had neither the time nor the money to make it into a hobby. I followed the pro tour, watched all the beginner videos I could, But something more important always seem to crop up once I had decided to take the plunge and buy some discs. Eventually it came to pass that I was able to buy a starter pack (thanks to UNC beating Gonzaga). Now, I consider myself an intelligent man so I knew I should learn to throw the disks before I take them out to the course. So three weeks I dedicated every other day to practicing before finally going out to the course. Now after years of procrastinating, months of watching every tutorial and pro coverage I could get my hands on (electronically speaking), at last I was about to go out onto the course to become the next Paul McBeth. Going out to do something for the first time is very embarrassing, more so to me than most people as I tend to be quiet and reserved, flubbing up in public is anathema to me, so when I arrive at my home course I wait around till all the other people who were waiting have teed off and gone on down the course. So once alone I begin my journey.

The first five holes were easy. No hit trees, no OB, Strokes were high but I expected that because all the first four holes need is distance, which I didn't have it (and still don't) but I told myself that it was okay distance will come in time. But Long comes hole 6 the shortest hole on the course. 215 yards straight as an arrow, flat as can be, I can read the hole number on the basket from the tee even I new to the game was thinking that this is my first Birdie on my first day out on the course. There are however a number of trees in the way, but by this time I was high on confidence as I have not hit a tree so far and this is my first round so they can't be too hard to avoid. So on my little 215 ft hole I proceed to hit the first tree off the tee and roll down the embankment 10 feet behind and 25 feet below the tee box. I think to myself, well I knew I would flub one sooner or later, so with still a cheerful disposition I proceed down the hill to my lie. Well this was an all together a different shot than the one before 225 feet 25 ft uphill immediately ahead of my lie. So I heave it with all I have… Directly into the side of the hill and it rolls forever, I am speechless. I take the one step to my new lie and proceed to do it again. Five steps later I approach now newest lie, okay now it is go time I decide to go through the woods as the hill wont get in my way if I go around it. So into the woods on the left off one tree then another and then another. And then nearly off the legs of a golfer on the 7th tee. Luckily the golfer, much taller and muscular than I just looks down at the disk and huffs and stalks off down the 7th fairway toward his disk. From the 7th tee box aiming for the 6th basket I proceed in 4 throws to hit 6 trees including hitting the same tree twice. The seventh no better in 10 throws I hit 11 trees, 8 if possible was worse. In order of throws I hit tree, creek, tree, tree then creek, tree, tree x3, Waterfall, tree, rock hill, rock hill again, basket then down the rock hill, layup then out. 9 got no better as the entire left side is woods…. It took me an hour to playout hole 9…I took a 15 minute break after 9 to get back my sanity.

The back nine was similar if not as bad. Hole 16 includes a water carry, I wrote down an 8 and moved on. Finally I reached hole 18 the longest hole on the course I was feeling a bit down feeling at least the round is almost over. And so I reachback and smash a drive the best one of the day it must have gone all of 300 feet, right at the basket. 200 feet left to go, again another smash my second throw ends up under the basket. This is a par four I am going to get a birdie. As I am walking up to the basket I am a little perplexed. Unlike the other baskets this one has a white rim, well all the others are yellow and it is out in the open maybe it is just faded. 100 ft away I cannot read the hole number, hmm… maybe it is on the other side… I tap out. Hmmm… no number 18 on the whole basket, maybe some hooligans scratched it off. I get in my car and cool off record my first birdie and drive off. As I am driving off on the left behind the parking lot I notice a yellow rimmed basket with an 18 on it. I had holed out on the practice basket. I called it a 12 and decided I had had enough for one day.

While playing at White Oak two summers ago the temp crept up to 102 during our second round.

I had run out of water, and eventually passed out from dehydration. Then I fell in the pond....

I think that all of us that have been throwing for a while have walked off and left a disc laying on the ground. Well, I once walked off leaving my whole bag behind. It didn't take too long to figure it out.

Had my first mental game meltdown in years playing with 5 of my teammates the other day. We were just playing casual dubs, but we're super competitive and these were some of the best guys on the team. I couldn't make a putt, couldn't get off the tee, and couldn't keep my sh*t together at all. I had rushed over after a stressful day at work and was not in a good head space to begin with, but letting down my buddy in dubs and looking like a complete raging duffer in front of the team was not a proud moment.:wall:

It was that or perhaps being so nervous in my first big(ish) tourney (The Pleasant Hill Open) that I drank too much (not PDGA in any way) the first round and was drunk enough to end up dead last in AM1 after the second round

Injured

Walking up this hill to get my putter in the basket, falling uphill and cracking a rib. Disc Golf is a rough sport.

Attachments

• c7a57a70.jpg
    c7a57a70.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 34